Old 01-09-2006, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tomatoes

Following on from the previous thread about blossom end rot, we are now
finding that those that didn't have BER are splitting across the top. Any
ideas on the cause.

I know BER is reputed to be due to lack of or intermittent watering. I also
think the incredibly hot weather in July had an effect. In previous years
we have always grown our tomatoes in a smallish greenhouse - open doors
either end to create a throughflow of air. Although we still got some BER on
the first trusses, we never had any problems with later ones. This year we
grew them in a very large glasshouse and although all windows and doors were
open, there never seemed to be a cooling flow of air. Despite being watered
3/4 times a day, the BER has been much worse than usual.

Have decided to go back to using the smaller greenhouse next year -
convinced it will make a difference

Jeanne

Old 01-09-2006, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

" Jeanne Stockdale" typed

[...]

We have had BER on some of our tomatoes and some of ours have split.
They have been grown mostly out of doors, some in the ground and some in
pots. We have a mini-greenhouse which housed some plants. These seemed
to have more BER than the others.

All the plants are fruiting now (apart from the one that Homself gave to
a friend, whigh was devoured almost instantly by slugs) and some are
ripening.

I think July's weather is to blame. Our plants were conscientiously fed
& watered.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

" Jeanne Stockdale" wrote
[...]

BER is caused by insufficient Calcium take-up, which is caused by a lack of
water and/or very acid soil (our problem). Cure is to raise the pH of the
soil if necessary and be consistent with the watering.
Fruit splitting is because of uneven growth caused by inconsistent watering
(a theme here?) and/or wildly fluctuating temperatures e.g.. cold nights
after a sunny day.

We grow outside on the allotment and are also suffering a bit with both
problems this year but then our new allotment soil pH is 5.5 in places and
although I did something about it for the brassicas I forgot about the toms.
Won't happen next year. :-)

"Crystel" has proved an excellent large Tom with dark red flesh and little
"water" inside, wonderful for cooking and sauces and rather nice to eat too.
Once again "Ferline" has been good. They are the only Toms we grew this year
and probably will be next year unless I can get hold of some "Brigade"
seeds.

Regards
Bob H
17mls W. of London.UK