Old 18-09-2006, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lawn from seed.

As well as getting my new allotment into shape, managed to get rid of some
dead trees and shrubs, strim, and start double digging my first bed I need
to prepare a lawn for seeding.
Is it too late to seed - guess I'll be ready to seed in about 4 weeks time.

Old 18-09-2006, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan McKenzie" wrote in message
As well as getting my new allotment into shape, managed to get rid of some
dead trees and shrubs, strim, and start double digging my first bed I need
to prepare a lawn for seeding.
Is it too late to seed - guess I'll be ready to seed in about 4 weeks
time.

We did one in October last year no problem. We only just did it in time
though with a week or so spare because a very wet Autumn and Winter set in
meaning we couldn't get onto the ground.
--
David
.... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk

Old 19-09-2006, 12:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

We did one in October last year no problem.

Ditto in Cheshire. Germinated nicely by end of the month so the garden was
green in the winter, not mud. Very pleased.

Old 19-09-2006, 07:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"hzatph" wrote in message

We did one in October last year no problem.

Ditto in Cheshire. Germinated nicely by end of the month so the garden was
green in the winter, not mud. Very pleased.

Even if it doesn't germinate this year it will in the spring.

Harry

Old 19-09-2006, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

As well as getting my new allotment into shape, managed to get rid of
some dead trees and shrubs, strim, and start double digging my first
bed I need to prepare a lawn for seeding.
Is it too late to seed - guess I'll be ready to seed in about 4 weeks
time.

According to The Thunderer, with this 'ere global warming you'd be better
off planting a clover lawn.

I spoke to someone at the weekend whose father did this in Turkey. He then
reverted to grass as the clover lawn was "wet and mushy". Anyone got any
ideas on this? I think the clover lawn is attractive, myself.

Old 19-09-2006, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

As well as getting my new allotment into shape, managed to get rid of
some dead trees and shrubs, strim, and start double digging my first
bed I need to prepare a lawn for seeding.
Is it too late to seed - guess I'll be ready to seed in about 4 weeks
time.

According to The Thunderer, with this 'ere global warming you'd be better
off planting a clover lawn.

I spoke to someone at the weekend whose father did this in Turkey. He then
reverted to grass as the clover lawn was "wet and mushy". Anyone got any
ideas on this? I think the clover lawn is attractive, myself.

Clover is not very hard wearing. As you already noted it turns to a mush
which stains everything. Perhaps if you want a green area that is only used
infrequently it might work.