Old 24-09-2006, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default which ride on mower

just about to buy a house with about 1 acre
the guy who has it is taking his ride on mower with him

Does anyone have any experience of ride on mowers.

I think I would rather pick up the cuttings.........but Im looking for ease
of use and reliability

I am drawn to the honda range..............for their reliable engines

anyone have an opinion????

Many thanks

Barry

Old 24-09-2006, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hello,

Pretty much every mower these days have Briggs & Stratton engines so
are all reliable and parts are very easy to find and quite cheap.
I have recently changed over to using John Deere for the mulching
option they provide, the mulching deck on the mower I have is very
good, in fact the only mower I have used that has a mulching deck that
works.
For using on 1 acre every fortnight or so I would go for a generic ride
on mower, because as I mentioned before all the engines are the same.
I would go as far to say that everything is the same except the colour
of the body panels. I had been using one to mow commercial sites for
3 years without any problems, working it about 25hrs per week, 32 weeks
of the year.

I would be more than happy to advise you of the makes and models to
look out for if you are interested.

EddSmith

www.charleylandscapes.com
http://groups.google.com/group/charleylandscapes
http://groups.google.com/group/Garden-Machinery

Old 24-09-2006, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 Barry wrote:

just about to buy a house with about 1 acre
the guy who has it is taking his ride on mower with him

Does anyone have any experience of ride on mowers.

I think I would rather pick up the cuttings.........but Im looking for ease
of use and reliability

I am drawn to the honda range..............for their reliable engines

anyone have an opinion????

I have a John Deere. It isn't the cheapest but it is reliable and
efficient. I can mow an acre in two to three hours. I don't have the
mulching version which means it takes a longer to keep emptying the
grass box. So I guess that if you had the mulching version, or simply
the version which leaves the grass as it cuts, it would take less than a
couple of hours.

Sometimes I have to leave the grass until it is around eighteen inches
high - or more - but it has no difficulty in coping with grass that
length.

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Old 25-09-2006, 12:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message .com
from "EddSmith" contains these words:

[...]

I too have recently had a John Deere mulching mower and find it
excellent. You can't see the grass mowings so the effect is the same as
picking up the grass. The time saved is considerable as you don't have
to keep returning to your dumping point to empty the grass. I have a
grass box attachment for the odd time that I might want to collect - say
at the beginning of the season. Seems a good arrangement all round. If
the grass is very long you can, as a third alternative let it eject
sideways.

Janet G
Old 25-09-2006, 03:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article .com,
EddSmith wrote:

I have recently changed over to using John Deere for the mulching
option they provide, the mulching deck on the mower I have is very
good, in fact the only mower I have used that has a mulching deck that
works.

ISTR that the small JD ride-on mulcher is a re-badged Stiga so if you
want to get the same results for less outlay, buy the Stiga. I have a
Stiga Park mulching mower and it works just dandy.

Old 25-09-2006, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Barry" wrote in message
just about to buy a house with about 1 acre
the guy who has it is taking his ride on mower with him

Does anyone have any experience of ride on mowers.

I think I would rather pick up the cuttings.........but Im looking for
ease of use and reliability

I am drawn to the honda range..............for their reliable engines

anyone have an opinion????

Many thanks

Barry

I have a Countax which has a great range of attachments. Its reliability has
not been great although the dealer support has been good. I have no
experience of the lawn mulching deck. There are loads of these mowers around
now. Sometimes you can pick up a bargain on e-bay.

Ride on lawnmower which can become a slow plow in winter? [email protected] Gardening 2 23-03-2006 05:08 PM
Ride on - lawn mower P&J United Kingdom 19 18-09-2003 08:29 PM
ride on mower rob Lawns 1 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
Ride on mower rob Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
ride on mower rob Lawns 1 01-01-2003 03:32 AM