Old 06-10-2006, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant ID - Similar to Dracaena

On 6/10/06 18:54, in article , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 6/10/06 17:02, in article , "Sacha"
wrote:

On 6/10/06 14:29, in article , "Rupert
(W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

snip
I will go with cordyline as well but if it's a cordyline then I don't
think
it is australis because the leaves look a tad too broad. It certainly
seems
to have a very thick trunk for an australis at this stage of growth and
would have thought that the lower leaves would have died by now.
Cordyline
indivisa perhaps.

snip

Just one other thought, though almost certainly wrong. Could it be a
Cordyline indivisa?

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Rupert also thinks it might be indivisa --a few lines back in this post. He
is probably wrong.:-)

Whoops, sorry! I didn't see that and I should have.

Old 06-10-2006, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"ste-m" wrote in message
Hi there,

Sorry for the tiny picture I included below, it wasn't very useful for a
clear ID, and as such, I've had 3-4 different suggestions.

To clear this up, I've just been in the garden and have took a few more
photos, so hopefully, you won't mind taking another look and confirming
the name of it?

http://tinyurl.com/r225r - Full picture

http://tinyurl.com/pklgd - Picture of the centre section

http://tinyurl.com/mztz8 - Picture of the base section

Thanks for all your help, it's appreciated.

Stephen

"ste-m" wrote in message
Hi there,

When we moved into our house two years ago, there were small (like a foot
tall) green plants with spikey leaves in the front garden, which the
previous owners had recently planted.

Two years later, these small plants are now about 7-8 foot tall or more!
I'm
just trying to find out what the name of the plant is, and whether anyone
can ID it from a photo?

My Mum has a gardening book, and our plant looks similar to something
called
'Dragon Tree' (or 'Dracaena'), but our plant doesn't have a trunk as
such, but has leaves sprouting from it from the ground up, so I thought
this might be a slightly different species?

The photo can be found he http://tinyurl.com/q5gjt

From the ID, I hope to find out how tall it grows, and about whether it
can be dug up and replanted elsewhere in the garden (that doesn't block
the living room window!), or even in a large plant pot (I doubt it
though!).

Thanks for any help,

Stephen

Ah that's better--it is definitely a cordyline. Perhaps indivisa but who
cares --it is a nice plant.

Old 06-10-2006, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"ste-m" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"ste-m" wrote in message

When we moved into our house two years ago, there were small

(like a
foot
tall) green plants with spikey leaves in the front garden,

I'd say it's a Yucca. It would grow into a multibranched "tree"

in a
warm climate but you could cut off the top and replant that in a

pot
or move the whole thing while it's still small. Tough as old

boots.

Thanks for that - tough as old boots, so I guess the roots will be

tough
too! Might have to get help with this one!

Actually, I've now changed my mind. I now agree with others that it's
a cordyline.

Old 06-10-2006, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6/10/06 19:04, in article , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message

snip

Rupert also thinks it might be indivisa --a few lines back in this post.
He
is probably wrong.:-)

Whoops, sorry! I didn't see that and I should have.

I do not believe you.You were trying to steal my moment of Glory:-)

Damn. You guessed!

Old 06-10-2006, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"ste-m" wrote in message

When we moved into our house two years ago, there were small

(like a
foot
tall) green plants with spikey leaves in the front garden,

I'd say it's a Yucca. It would grow into a multibranched "tree"

in a
warm climate but you could cut off the top and replant that in a

pot
or move the whole thing while it's still small. Tough as old

boots.

Thanks for that - tough as old boots, so I guess the roots will be

tough
too! Might have to get help with this one!

Actually, I've now changed my mind. I now agree with others that it's
a cordyline.

OK Farm I accept your reversal of opinion:-), although based on the original
pic it could have been several things
Any idea of which cordyline.?

Old 07-10-2006, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:

OK Farm I accept your reversal of opinion:-), although based on the original
pic it could have been several things
Any idea of which cordyline.?

This is none other than good old Cordyline australis. It is a highly
variable species with leaves from little more that 2cms. in width right
up to 8cms. in the broadest leaved forms. Leaf colour can be anything
from greyish-green to vivid emerald green and the leaves can arch
gracefully from the crown or be quite stiff forming a rather spikey
outline. Young plants growing in decent soil retain most of their
lower leaves for several years, but eventually only those immediately
around the crown will remain. It will then assume the characteristic
'mop-head' outline. After a few more years, it will flower and branch
out immediately below the flower spike.

While Cordyline dracaeniodes is superficially similar, its growth habit
and leaf shape - particularly at the leaf tips are different. Its an
easy grower and may do as well as C. australis in the UK, but it has
only been generally available for a relatively short time. It's too
soon to tell from the ultimate hardiness point of view. Interestingly,
it is the only New World species of Cordyline, being a native of S.
Brazil, Argentina and Paraguay. All other Cordylines are from
Australasia and Indonesia.

Cordyline indivisa is unmistakably different, with very broad olive
green leaves to 20cms.+ wide eventually and extremely glaucouse, almost
purplish young shoots. This New Zealander develops into a very
impressive plant, rarely branching until it reaches maturity. It is
tricky to grow well, requiring a constantly moist, humus rich slightly
acid soil and prefers year round rain. Extremes of heat or cold send
it into a rapid decline and for no apparent reason at all, a healthy
plant can suddenly turn yellow and die in a matter of months. If
you've grown it or seen it, you cannot confuse it with even the
broadest leaved australis.

Old 07-10-2006, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"DavePoole Torquay" wrote in message
ups.com...
Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:

[...]

Judging from its present size, is it practical in your opinion, for
the OP to dig it up and move it from its present position, where it
will soon be blocking the window ?

michael adams

Old 07-10-2006, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

michael adams wrote:

Judging from its present size, is it practical in your opinion, for
the OP to dig it up and move it from its present position, where it
will soon be blocking the window ?

I've known much larger ones successfully transplanted, although they
looked very sad for the first year. If it is carefully lifted with a
good sized root-ball, replanted into a well-prepared site and kept well
watered for the first summer, it should be fine. Spring is the ideal
time since root growth will be at maximum and new roots will be able to
occupy new ground quickly. Be prepared for significant leaf loss - the
plant will almost certainly try to reduce moisture loss by shedding a
good number of leaves. The trunk will remain leafless (the natural
state when nearing maturity), but the crown will fill out again and
normal growth will resume.

Old 07-10-2006, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:

I think on this occasion his labelling is correct. It sounds exactly like a
pukka indivisa unlike the one I bought last week from Homebase labelled as
such. Nice wide leaves but missing the obligatory blue - a bargain which is
to be planted in wet shade as an experiment:-)

As mentioned before, there's no mistaking this one. This is a pic of
one of mine at around 3 years old grown from seed. Leaves were already
18cms. across. Older leaves turn olive green, but younger ones are
very glaucous. They also have a very prominent, orange central vein.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...1/indivisa.jpg

Old 07-10-2006, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:

I think on this occasion his labelling is correct. It sounds exactly like
pukka indivisa unlike the one I bought last week from Homebase labelled
as
such. Nice wide leaves but missing the obligatory blue - a bargain which
is
to be planted in wet shade as an experiment:-)

As mentioned before, there's no mistaking this one. This is a pic of
one of mine at around 3 years old grown from seed. Leaves were already
18cms. across. Older leaves turn olive green, but younger ones are
very glaucous. They also have a very prominent, orange central vein.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...1/indivisa.jpg

Hi Dave,

How's the book coming along?
Jenny :~)

Old 07-10-2006, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

JennyC wrote:

How's the book coming along?
Jenny :~)

Still nearly finished Jenny, but still in pieces :| Maybe one day I'll
get around to it.

Old 09-10-2006, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi there,

There are now too many posts for me to reply to individually, so I just
wanted to thank those who responded to my request for help, all of your
advice is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Stephen