Old 09-10-2006, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Magnolia from seed

This year has been unusual in my garden as my magnolia has also produced
seed pods for the first time ever. The pods are still on the tree and are
bright red. When do I remove them and what is the procedure then for
growing plants from them?

Old 09-10-2006, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Moore" wrote in message
This year has been unusual in my garden as my magnolia has also produced
seed pods for the first time ever. The pods are still on the tree and are
bright red. When do I remove them and what is the procedure then for
growing plants from them?

quote

Propagation
Magnolias can be successfully propagated from seed, cuttings, layering,
chip budding and grafting.

Where open pollination has taken place, considerable genetic variation
has been found in collected seed so plants rarely come true. Plants raised
from seed will also take a considerable time to flower, although
some hybrids raised from seed flower in under 10 years. The advantages
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
of raising plants from seed are that exciting new cultivars can be bred
and seedlings generally exhibit fast establishment and good growth.

/quote

http://www.rhs.org.uk/WhatsOn/garden...carrpommar.asp

The actual technique will probably be similar to camellias - a cold
stimulus to initiate germination, followed by rather a lot of patience
in this instance.

michael adams

Old 09-10-2006, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"michael adams" wrote in message

http://www.rhs.org.uk/WhatsOn/garden...carrpommar.asp

The actual technique will probably be similar to camellias - a cold
stimulus to initiate germination, followed by rather a lot of patience
in this instance.

michael adams

Many thanks for your advice about camelias and magnolias. I may not live to
see them flower, but just to get them on their way would be great! - Mary

Old 09-10-2006, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/10/06 16:13, in article , "Dave Moore"
wrote:

"michael adams" wrote in message

http://www.rhs.org.uk/WhatsOn/garden...carrpommar.asp

The actual technique will probably be similar to camellias - a cold
stimulus to initiate germination, followed by rather a lot of patience
in this instance.

michael adams

Many thanks for your advice about camelias and magnolias. I may not live to
see them flower, but just to get them on their way would be great! - Mary

It's very satisfying. Ray took seed of an unidentified Camellia we have in
the garden because while it's not a showy or amazing thing, it IS very old,
*might* be an offspring of the one in Pillnitz, Dresden and which flowers
for a lonnnnng time each year. I'll try to remember to report on what it
does and how long it takes to do it.
And, as I write this - two hot air balloons are coming straight towards us
and will fly overhead. What a wonderful sight that is! We get them over
here quite often but these are the first I've seen in weeks. It must be
cold up there!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk