Old 20-10-2006, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Source of seed Potatoes

In article , Bob Hobden
writes

"Alan Holmes" wrote
Do you know where and when the nearest potato day to Slough is?

Wisley surely has a day as well doesn't it?

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 20-10-2006, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Galpin" wrote in message
The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

"Janet Galpin" wrote in message
The message
from Broadback contains these words:

I know it is a little early yet to order, but I usually buy mine from
Dobies or Suttons, however their range is a little limited. As this
year
mine have been devastated by slugs I thought I try a couple of those
recommended by Bob Holden, any ideas on suppliers of a wider variety?

Edwin Tucker has a good range and reasonably priced. I have always
found
them very reliable.

Do they sell then as individual seeds, or do you have to buy a kilo at a
time, even if you just want half a dozen seeds?

Alan

Mostly they do 3k packs but they have started to do some varieties in 1k
trial packs. No individual seeds but they do also do potato microplants
of some particularly unusual varieties; they come in packs of 5 but
they're expensive (£9.95 inc postage)

But I only need about six each, of three different varieties, although
bearing in mind the problems I'm having with slugs this year, I may, next
year, just plant first earlies and second earlies, which I may be able to
harvest before the damned slugs get at them.

Alan

Janet G

Old 20-10-2006, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Alan Holmes
writes

"Janet Galpin" wrote in message
.. .
The message
from Broadback contains these words:

I know it is a little early yet to order, but I usually buy mine from
Dobies or Suttons, however their range is a little limited. As this
year
mine have been devastated by slugs I thought I try a couple of those
recommended by Bob Holden, any ideas on suppliers of a wider variety?

Edwin Tucker has a good range and reasonably priced. I have always found
them very reliable.

Do they sell then as individual seeds, or do you have to buy a kilo at a
time, even if you just want half a dozen seeds?

Alan

If you go to a garden centre etc that allow you to buy a bag for a certain
price, such as the one in berkhamstead high street, take a few plastic
bags, labelled and a marker pen. We put two or three seed potatoes in each
back, mark them and put them all into the one big brown paper bag so we
end up with several varieties.

I've been getting them for some years from a place near Chobham, but they
now have gone over to prepacked bags, but another centre a few miles away
have had, for a while, done them as you describe, and I had wondered about
trying them next year, the problem was the varieties they had, were not
those which I have been growing previously.

I will probably try something different in the future.

Alan

janet

Old 21-10-2006, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Alan Holmes
writes

But I only need about six each, of three different varieties, although
bearing in mind the problems I'm having with slugs this year, I may, next
year, just plant first earlies and second earlies, which I may be able to
harvest before the damned slugs get at them.

Alan

Could a few of us get together and buy a pack or two then post them out
to each other? Would it be worthwhile?

janet
Old 17-11-2006, 04:44 PM
Registered User

Smile

The key things about Potato Days a

the very large selection of varieties(140 at the Hamsphire Day http://thewhitchurchweb.org/potatoday
the ability to pick up as few tubers of any variety as you want
the chance to get expert advice
the opportunity to share experiences with other potato growers

In addition most have expert (not like the ones on the TV) speakers, cookery demonstrations and activities (and somethin to get them interested in gardening) for the kids.

Hampshire (and some others) also have other items of interest to gardeners, unusual seeds and plants, seed swap etc, etc

How do I know all this? I've run the Hampshire Day for 8 years

Just one downside to many of the days, the oranisers buy in the stock for the day(s) and their aim is sell it all, this means that if you leave it late, your favourite variety may have gone. We don't tend to have that problem at Whitchurch (Hampshire) as Richard Stevenson buys enough for our days and to stock Charlton Park (Wantage) and Heathrow (London) Gardens Centres for a month afterwards as well.
Phil