Old 13-10-2006, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Source of seed Potatoes

I know it is a little early yet to order, but I usually buy mine from
Dobies or Suttons, however their range is a little limited. As this year
mine have been devastated by slugs I thought I try a couple of those
recommended by Bob Holden, any ideas on suppliers of a wider variety?
Old 13-10-2006, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
I know it is a little early yet to order, but I usually buy mine from
Dobies or Suttons, however their range is a little limited. As this year
mine have been devastated by slugs I thought I try a couple of those
recommended by Bob Holden, any ideas on suppliers of a wider variety?

Does your local allotment society have a shop for such things? A society
near me does, and they let us use the shop even though we're not members,
since our allotment is elsewhere. Also, in the last couple of years our
local budget shop has started selling seed potatoes.

HTH

Steve

Old 13-10-2006, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote:
I know it is a little early yet to order, but I usually buy mine from
Dobies or Suttons, however their range is a little limited. As this year
mine have been devastated by slugs I thought I try a couple of those
recommended by Bob Holden, any ideas on suppliers of a wider variety?

Try this link. I can't remember where you live. It's a bit early though
but perhaps you could plan a leisure trip as well as going to get your
tatoes. I have never ordered them on line - I like the whole day, from
the trip to the hunting of organic varieties and combine this with a
nice pub lunch with friends )

http://thewhitchurchweb.org/potatoday/potatodays.htm

Old 13-10-2006, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Broadback contains these words:

I know it is a little early yet to order, but I usually buy mine from
Dobies or Suttons, however their range is a little limited. As this year
mine have been devastated by slugs I thought I try a couple of those
recommended by Bob Holden, any ideas on suppliers of a wider variety?

Edwin Tucker has a good range and reasonably priced. I have always found
them very reliable.

http://www.edwintucker.com/Seeds/seeds%20index.htm

When their full catalogue is ready on line, any time now, there is a lot
more information about different varieties than at present.

Janet G
Old 13-10-2006, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/10/06 17:08, in article ,
"Janet Galpin" wrote:

The message
from Broadback contains these words:

I know it is a little early yet to order, but I usually buy mine from
Dobies or Suttons, however their range is a little limited. As this year
mine have been devastated by slugs I thought I try a couple of those
recommended by Bob Holden, any ideas on suppliers of a wider variety?

Edwin Tucker has a good range and reasonably priced. I have always found
them very reliable.

http://www.edwintucker.com/Seeds/seeds%20index.htm

When their full catalogue is ready on line, any time now, there is a lot
more information about different varieties than at present.

Janet G

We live very close to Tuckers in Ashburton so if I can do any research for
those interested, I'd be happy to. I drive past them on my way into town.
We're not far from Mole Valley Farmers in Bovey Tracey, either.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 13-10-2006, 11:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote...
I know it is a little early yet to order, but I usually buy mine from
Dobies or Suttons, however their range is a little limited. As this year
mine have been devastated by slugs I thought I try a couple of those
recommended by Bob Holden, any ideas on suppliers of a wider variety?

I'm lucky that a fairly local GC the other side of Heathrow (one of three in
a family run group) stocks a very large variety, indeed from what I saw they
also ran the Potato Day in Hampshire last year which is where I got this
years spuds (and peas).
http://www.charlton-park.co.uk/potatoes.html and I believe they do mail
order too.
There are Potato Days all over the country so try to find one near you.
The RHS at Wisley also stocks a decent variety compared to the usual GC.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 14-10-2006, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Galpin" wrote in message
The message
from Broadback contains these words:

I know it is a little early yet to order, but I usually buy mine from
Dobies or Suttons, however their range is a little limited. As this year
mine have been devastated by slugs I thought I try a couple of those
recommended by Bob Holden, any ideas on suppliers of a wider variety?

Edwin Tucker has a good range and reasonably priced. I have always found
them very reliable.

Do they sell then as individual seeds, or do you have to buy a kilo at a
time, even if you just want half a dozen seeds?

Alan

Old 14-10-2006, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote after
"Broadback" wrote...
I know it is a little early yet to order, but I usually buy mine from
Dobies or Suttons, however their range is a little limited. As this year
mine have been devastated by slugs I thought I try a couple of those
recommended by Bob Holden, any ideas on suppliers of a wider variety?

I'm lucky that a fairly local GC the other side of Heathrow (one of three
in a family run group) stocks a very large variety, indeed from what I saw
they also ran the Potato Day in Hampshire last year which is where I got
this years spuds (and peas).
http://www.charlton-park.co.uk/potatoes.html and I believe they do mail
order too.
There are Potato Days all over the country so try to find one near you.
The RHS at Wisley also stocks a decent variety compared to the usual GC.

At Potato Days you can usually buy seed spuds individually so we just buy as
many as we want for a row or two. In theory you could buy one of each of the
varieties and trial them on your own plot to see which is best. Cost a
fortune in labels though. :-)

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 14-10-2006, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote after
"Broadback" wrote...
[...]

Thanks all for your suggestions, I have filed the info for future
reference. I do not want to leave it until it is too late to get a
choice. LaPuce, if the Whitchurch is the Whitchurch in Shropshire it is
near enough to visit, at the moment the web site seems inaccessible,
I'll try again another time.
Old 14-10-2006, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/10/06 14:05, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

"Janet Galpin" wrote in message
The message
from Broadback contains these words:

I know it is a little early yet to order, but I usually buy mine from
Dobies or Suttons, however their range is a little limited. As this year
mine have been devastated by slugs I thought I try a couple of those
recommended by Bob Holden, any ideas on suppliers of a wider variety?

Edwin Tucker has a good range and reasonably priced. I have always found
them very reliable.

Do they sell then as individual seeds, or do you have to buy a kilo at a
time, even if you just want half a dozen seeds?

Dammit, I've just come back from there but didn't go into that part of the
store and I can't remember from last time. I *think* you can buy as much or
as little as you want. Do you want me to look on Monday? It's only 5
minutes or so from us, give or take backing up 6 times for other cars!

Old 14-10-2006, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote

Thanks all for your suggestions, I have filed the info for future
reference. I do not want to leave it until it is too late to get a choice.
LaPuce, if the Whitchurch is the Whitchurch in Shropshire it is near
enough to visit, at the moment the web site seems inaccessible, I'll try
again another time.

You want this Potato Day then...

Saturday 3rd February 2007. Nesscliffe Village Hall, just off the A5, NW of
Shrewsbury. 10am - 5pm. 40 varieties (25 organic and 10 non-organic), expert
advice, children's activities and potato related refreshments. Details from
Peter on 01939 260935.
Only 40 varieties at that one so might be worth phoning to see if they will
have what you want.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 14-10-2006, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Broadback" wrote

Thanks all for your suggestions, I have filed the info for future
reference. I do not want to leave it until it is too late to get a
choice. LaPuce, if the Whitchurch is the Whitchurch in Shropshire it is
near enough to visit, at the moment the web site seems inaccessible, I'll
try again another time.

You want this Potato Day then...

Do you know where and when the nearest potato day to Slough is?

Alan

Old 15-10-2006, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote
Do you know where and when the nearest potato day to Slough is?

The nearest place to you for a good selection is just down the road at the
Heathrow Garden Centre (part of the Charlton Park family run group of three)
Sipson Road, West Drayton. Ramshackled place but they will have a very good
selection of seed spuds eventually as they help run some potato days.
(Hampshire) They will get things in if you ask.
Otherwise it's a trip to the main Charlton Park GC at Wantage, Oxon
http://www.charlton-park.co.uk/ where they stock well over 100 varieties.
Or a pleasant day out to the Potato Day down in Hampshire (where we went
last year).

Sat/Sun 27/28 January 2007. Testbourne Community Centre, Micheldever Road,
Whitchurch. 10am -3pm. 137 varieties of seed tuber, including Sarpo, (plus
~25 organically grown) by the individual tuber and 2.5kg bags Free coloured
potato for each child. Tuber sales, expert advice and children's activities.
Plus onion and shallots sets, beans and other seed sales, seed swap, green
manure and organic fertilisers, talks and cookery demos. Signed from the A34
For full details 07790 492677

Thos. Etty Esq, Seed Merchant, was there last year, difficult not to get
carried away buying too many varieties though.

(I wouldn't bother with the Sarpo variety as our Sarpo Axona we tried this
year were small, badly slugged, and covered in scab. 'tis true, they didn't
get blight. All the other varieties we grew were the best ever)

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 15-10-2006, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

"Janet Galpin" wrote in message
The message
from Broadback contains these words:

I know it is a little early yet to order, but I usually buy mine from
Dobies or Suttons, however their range is a little limited. As this year
mine have been devastated by slugs I thought I try a couple of those
recommended by Bob Holden, any ideas on suppliers of a wider variety?

Edwin Tucker has a good range and reasonably priced. I have always found
them very reliable.

Do they sell then as individual seeds, or do you have to buy a kilo at a
time, even if you just want half a dozen seeds?

Alan

Mostly they do 3k packs but they have started to do some varieties in 1k
trial packs. No individual seeds but they do also do potato microplants
of some particularly unusual varieties; they come in packs of 5 but
they're expensive (£9.95 inc postage)

Janet G
Old 19-10-2006, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Alan Holmes
writes

"Janet Galpin" wrote in message
The message
from Broadback contains these words:

I know it is a little early yet to order, but I usually buy mine from
Dobies or Suttons, however their range is a little limited. As this year
mine have been devastated by slugs I thought I try a couple of those
recommended by Bob Holden, any ideas on suppliers of a wider variety?

Edwin Tucker has a good range and reasonably priced. I have always found
them very reliable.

Do they sell then as individual seeds, or do you have to buy a kilo at a
time, even if you just want half a dozen seeds?

Alan

If you go to a garden centre etc that allow you to buy a bag for a
certain price, such as the one in berkhamstead high street, take a few
plastic bags, labelled and a marker pen. We put two or three seed
potatoes in each back, mark them and put them all into the one big brown
paper bag so we end up with several varieties.

janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph