Old 14-10-2006, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default tomatoes

hi,
can anyone help. I grew tomatoes this year for the first time and have got some nice sized fruit, but they are not going red. Took one off the plant as it's stem was broken and within a week it was red. Do they all need to be picked before they will turn red????

kelly
Old 14-10-2006, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

jakell wrote:
hi,
can anyone help. I grew tomatoes this year for the first time and have got some nice sized fruit, but they are not going red. Took one off the plant as it's stem was broken and within a week it was red. Do they all need to be picked before they will turn red????

A regular question this time of year. Google this group at
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.rec.gardening/ and put "green
tomatoes" in the search box to give loads of previous answers and
recipes. I've never found windowsills or dark drawers effective,
though it sounds as if it might work for you. I just fry 'em in
vegetable butter substitute (because that's what happens to be around).

Chris

Old 14-10-2006, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"jakell" wrote in message
.uk...
hi,
can anyone help. I grew tomatoes this year for the first time and have got
some nice sized fruit, but they are not going red. Took one off the plant as
it's stem was broken and within a week it was red. Do they all need to be
picked before they will turn red????

kelly

At this time of year I cut off all the unharvested vines and put them in a
basket in the kitchen. Or baskets this year ... I had far too many plants,
we simply can't eat all those tomatoes!

Every day I look and if there are any red or turning red ones I take them
out and use them (aka eat them).

Eventually the baskets become fewer until there's only one, I've always had
ripe tomatoes on Christmas Eve to have with the pork pie (a family
tradition) using this method.

I'm not a lover of green tomato chutney but this year I've made green tomato
sauce and shall try frying some because I left the outdoor ones one night
too long, they caught the frost and need to be used quickly.

The ones from the greenhouse will be brought in to ripen as usual.

Mary

Old 14-10-2006, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"jakell" wrote in message
.uk...
hi,
can anyone help. I grew tomatoes this year for the first time and have got
some nice sized fruit, but they are not going red. Took one off the plant as
it's stem was broken and within a week it was red. Do they all need to be
picked before they will turn red????

Not if they fruit early enough but tomatoes on the plant now will probably
be in with better chance if you pick them and put them in a single layer in
a nice light airy place with a ripe banana or similar ethylene producer. I
am surprised that given the hot weather we had earlier in the season that
you did not get ant naturally ripened fruit.Where in the country are you?

Gill M

Old 14-10-2006, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
Eventually the baskets become fewer until there's only one, I've always
had ripe tomatoes on Christmas Eve to have with the pork pie (a family
tradition) using this method.

Pork Pie! I could just murder a pork pie! It's ages since I had one. Just
can't get them in France. Not many things I miss about the UK but... (drifts
off into a fantasy thinking about eating a nice pork pie). Wish you hadn't
mentioned them :-(

--
David in Normandy, hundreds of miles away from a pork pie!

.... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk
.... Blog at http://dlts-french-adventures.blogspot.com/

Old 14-10-2006, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Eventually the baskets become fewer until there's only one, I've always
had ripe tomatoes on Christmas Eve to have with the pork pie (a family
tradition) using this method.

Pork Pie! I could just murder a pork pie! It's ages since I had one. Just
can't get them in France. Not many things I miss about the UK but...
(drifts off into a fantasy thinking about eating a nice pork pie). Wish
you hadn't mentioned them :-(

I make ours - you could do the same!

Mary

Old 14-10-2006, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

. net...

Eventually the baskets become fewer until there's only one, I've always
had ripe tomatoes on Christmas Eve to have with the pork pie (a family
tradition) using this method.

Pork Pie! I could just murder a pork pie! It's ages since I had one. Just
can't get them in France. Not many things I miss about the UK but...
(drifts off into a fantasy thinking about eating a nice pork pie). Wish
you hadn't mentioned them :-(

I make ours - you could do the same!

Mary

Funny you should say that - I mentioned to Lillian (my spouse) about your
posting and my reply, which made her smile, then offer to make me one.
Apparently she used to make them herself years ago before meeting me.
Something to look forward to next week :-)

David in Normandy, happy at the prospect of a nice pork pie.

Old 14-10-2006, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
jakell wrote:
hi,
can anyone help. I grew tomatoes this year for the first time and have got some nice sized fruit, but they are not going red. Took one off the plant as it's stem was broken and within a week it was red. Do they all need to be picked before they will turn red????

A regular question this time of year. Google this group at
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.rec.gardening/ and put "green
tomatoes" in the search box to give loads of previous answers and
recipes. I've never found windowsills or dark drawers effective,
though it sounds as if it might work for you. I just fry 'em in
vegetable butter substitute (because that's what happens to be around).

Chris

can you eat green tomatoes i thought they were like green potatoes
which we cant eat? I have lots of green tomatoes and I am looking for
a chutney recipe

Old 14-10-2006, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/10/06 21:19, in article ,
"David in Normandy" wrote:

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

snip I make ours - you could do the same!

Mary

Funny you should say that - I mentioned to Lillian (my spouse) about your
posting and my reply, which made her smile, then offer to make me one.
Apparently she used to make them herself years ago before meeting me.
Something to look forward to next week :-)

David in Normandy, happy at the prospect of a nice pork pie.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 14-10-2006, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

"jakell" wrote in message
o.uk...
hi,
can anyone help. I grew tomatoes this year for the first time and have got
some nice sized fruit, but they are not going red. Took one off the plant as
it's stem was broken and within a week it was red. Do they all need to be
picked before they will turn red????

No, they will turn red on the plant, and taste really good when they do.
But sometimes they run out of time, it gets too cold for the plant, and
then you're left with trying to ripen them off the plant, which doesn't
work as well.
--
Kay

Old 14-10-2006, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Eventually the baskets become fewer until there's only one, I've always
had ripe tomatoes on Christmas Eve to have with the pork pie (a family
tradition) using this method.

Pork Pie! I could just murder a pork pie! It's ages since I had one. Just
can't get them in France. Not many things I miss about the UK but...
(drifts off into a fantasy thinking about eating a nice pork pie). Wish
you hadn't mentioned them :-(

I make ours - you could do the same!

Mary

have you a recipe please

Old 14-10-2006, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mary Fisher wrote:

Pork Pie! I could just murder a pork pie! It's ages since I had one.
Just
can't get them in France. Not many things I miss about the UK but...
(drifts off into a fantasy thinking about eating a nice pork pie). Wish
you hadn't mentioned them :-(

I make ours - you could do the same!

Mary

have you a recipe please

Mail me

Mary

Ta I will do that now

Old 14-10-2006, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

bluebell wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:

Pork Pie! I could just murder a pork pie! It's ages since I had one.
Just
can't get them in France. Not many things I miss about the UK but...
(drifts off into a fantasy thinking about eating a nice pork pie). Wish
you hadn't mentioned them :-(

I make ours - you could do the same!

Mary

have you a recipe please

Mail me

Mary

I just have and it bounced back

Ta I will do that now

Old 15-10-2006, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"bluebell" wrote in message
oups.com...

bluebell wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:

Pork Pie! I could just murder a pork pie! It's ages since I had
one.
Just
can't get them in France. Not many things I miss about the UK
but...
(drifts off into a fantasy thinking about eating a nice pork pie).
Wish
you hadn't mentioned them :-(

I make ours - you could do the same!

Mary

have you a recipe please

Mail me

Mary

I just have and it bounced back

Oh - I'm having to adjust my new protection, did you try
? If not, do it :-)

Mary

Ta I will do that now