Old 22-10-2006, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JIP JIP is offline

Default sugegstions for a climber please

Hi

I'm in the Midlands. I just erected some trellis screening in my backgarden.
The garden is on a NE-SW line, and the side of the trellis I look at from
the house faces NE. It is in a shady area that doesn't see a lot of direct
sun because of nearby hedges and conifers.

I want an evergreen climber that will have colourful flowers, berries or
leaves at some time of the year - maybe in the winter, but that's not
critical. Any ideas please.

Many thanks

Old 22-10-2006, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JIP" wrote in message
Hi

I'm in the Midlands. I just erected some trellis screening in my

backgarden.
The garden is on a NE-SW line, and the side of the trellis I look at from
the house faces NE. It is in a shady area that doesn't see a lot of direct
sun because of nearby hedges and conifers.

I want an evergreen climber that will have colourful flowers, berries or
leaves at some time of the year - maybe in the winter, but that's not
critical. Any ideas please.

Many thanks

With that aspect it should be cool enough for the evergreen honeysuckles to
be OK (lonicera japonica and all its named forms. You may also be able to
get away with Clematis armandii, or Solanum laxum album. You will have a
better idea about frequency and severity of frost where you are than me.
I also like the variegated Ivies and they look wonderful when in flower and
fruit at this time of year, especially good are Silver Queen and Golden
Esther (to get the flowers etc you must let them reach the top of the fence
with out trimming them.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk