Old 15-04-2003, 07:20 PM
hayley

Default in defense of leylandi

I'm sure that I'm the only person who thinks this but if you have "problem
neighbours" (i.e. noise, peering over fence etc) and you want to fix it
quickly then Leylandi seem ideal. We planted a hedge to screen noisy
neighbours, we planted relatively mature trees (about 7 foot and v bushy).
Problem was reduced right away, and now (2 yrs on) is just about completely
solved. In an ideal world I'd plant something slower growing but we were
desperate right away and did not want to lose one or two seasons use of our
garden whilst we waited for something to grow. I agree that the trees can
get out of hand but if you cut them twice a year religiously then they do
the job. I agree that inappropriate hedges can make people's lives hell but
so can noisy, nosey neighbours
Hayley

Old 15-04-2003, 09:44 PM
bnd777

Thoroughly agree that noisy nosey neighbours are a pain in the butt
Tragedy is that nice neighbours can be reduced to utter despair by the hell
these trees create especially if their owner refuses to maintain them on all
sides

If you saw the state of my boundary and constant mess on my garden created
by 56 of the blighters you would understand the other side of the coin

Old 15-04-2003, 10:20 PM
ned

bnd777 wrote:
Thoroughly agree that noisy nosey neighbours are a pain in the butt
Tragedy is that nice neighbours can be reduced to utter despair by
the hell these trees create especially if their owner refuses to
maintain them on all sides

If you saw the state of my boundary and constant mess on my garden
created by 56 of the blighters you would understand the other side
of the coin

Constant mess? What sort of leylandi do you have?
They don't shed leaves. Need a once a year trim.
What less demanding a screen could you wish for?
I don't know how many I lay claim to but they make a densely packed
120ft boundary.
Have you asked the neighbour if he would care to trim your side?

--
ned

Old 16-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Charlie

Or of course, you could go explain to your neighbours that they're noisy and
if that doesn't work call the Noise Officers in! You *could* get their
stereo/noise making equipment taken away if they're repeat offenders...

Charlie.

"hayley" wrote in message
[...]

---

Old 16-04-2003, 06:32 PM
bnd777

Mix of Leylandi and lawsons
Neighbour refuses point blank to trim our side
Chain link fence being broken and pushed over by the trees
mess is all the dead shards,prunings, branches etc which fill the inside of
the trees and 1ft deep under them because the will not clear them up plus
the stuff which is pushed over off the top if they deign to reduce their
height
Any breeze etc and the lot is a mess on my newly mulched flower beds i am
struggling to maintain

Old 16-04-2003, 08:56 PM
Drakanthus

Neighbour refuses point blank to trim our side
Chain link fence being broken and pushed over by the trees

I don't know if it is true or not, but someone once told me that if a neighbours
hedge overhangs your property, you are entitled under law to get someone in to
trim the hedge and bill the owner of the hedge for the work. It might be worth
getting advice to see if this is the case.
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 16-04-2003, 10:33 PM
hayley

Or of course, you could go explain to your neighbours that they're noisy
and
if that doesn't work call the Noise Officers in! You *could* get their
stereo/noise making equipment taken away if they're repeat offenders...

we tried this before resorting to the trees
Hayley

Old 16-04-2003, 10:56 PM
bnd777

Yes .......there are some cases that have won the costs of this but also
some have not been so lucky .......its a bit of a lottery as to the whim of
a judge