Old 15-04-2003, 07:20 PM
Peter

Default Little Oak tree in a pot

I have a little - 2' 6" approx - oak tree in a 18" pot. How long can I keep
it? If you read this my other post about compost should say compost smelling
of silage

Old 16-04-2003, 12:44 AM
Bigjon

Recently, Peter uttered:

I have a little - 2' 6" approx - oak tree in a 18" pot. How long can I keep
it? If you read this my other post about compost should say compost smelling
of silage

Check out some Bonsai websites.
This is a good forum:
http://tinyurl.com/9m8v

You can keep it in a pot for as long as you like, and the tree will be
perfectly happy as long as you look after it. You will have to cut the tap
root after a few years though. If you want to grow it on to a full size
specimen, get it in the ground ASAP !!
--
\\(º`¿´º)//
It's all on http://support.microsoft.com/ somewhere....
Old 16-04-2003, 01:20 AM
Hussein M.

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 19:18:50 +0100, "Peter"
wrote:

I have a little - 2' 6" approx - oak tree in a 18" pot. How long can I keep
it? If you read this my other post about compost should say compost smelling
of silage

Bonsai? Get a book (or do other research on it) . Might be fun. Oak
may or may not take to it.

Huss
Grow a little garden

spam block - for real addy, reverse letters of second level domain.
Old 16-04-2003, 09:21 AM
Chris Norton

wrote:

I have a little - 2' 6" approx - oak tree in a 18" pot. How long can I keep
it? If you read this my other post about compost should say compost smelling
of silage

Bonsai? Get a book (or do other research on it) . Might be fun. Oak
may or may not take to it.

Huss
Grow a little garden

spam block - for real addy, reverse letters of second level domain.

English oaks make fantastic Bonsai and no english mans Bonsai
collection should be without one (Harry Tomlinson). Only problem here
is that it is already 2 1/2 feet high. To consider Bonsai`ing it I
would look at some branches fairly low down OR you could go for a big
one.

Technically it already is Bonsai but lets not get into that old
chestnut. 8-))

They are really slow growing as Bonsai so dont need as much looking
after as say a nice Jap maple. According to Harry their roots can be
sensitive to frost tho.
Old 16-04-2003, 10:44 AM
andy roberts

"Peter"
:

I have a little - 2' 6" approx - oak tree in a 18" pot. How long can I keep
it?

Depends how good you are at looking after hardy native bonsai trees. If you
can get it through the first 15 years it should be ok for the next 150.

If you move it down into a shallower tray shaped pot it may need some
shelter during especially cold winters, it's no good letting the whole
rootball freeze, and it may need watering every day in very hot dry summers.

Root pruning every other year and some leaf pruning when the buds first open
in spring will keep it in shape.

Andy R
--
http://www.europa.usenet.eu.org

Europa.* is the usenet hierarchy for europe wide
topics without language restrictions.