Old 30-10-2006, 06:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Crab Apple Evereste

I live in south east England I bought an Evereste crab apple a couple of
years ago,the leader had been taken out and the trunk was about 3ft tall
with a couple of branches each side It flowered this year (dark pink) I
thought they should be white? A couple of questions the fruit(red)is very
small,the size of a grape, can anyone tell me why this is? Also will the
tree grow any taller and should I be pruning it, if so when and how?
Any help will be much appreciated
Best Regards Chris

Old 30-10-2006, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Christine Rowe wrote:
I live in south east England I bought an Evereste crab apple a couple of
years ago,the leader had been taken out and the trunk was about 3ft tall
with a couple of branches each side It flowered this year (dark pink) I
thought they should be white? A couple of questions the fruit(red)is very
small,the size of a grape, can anyone tell me why this is? Also will the
tree grow any taller and should I be pruning it, if so when and how?
Any help will be much appreciated
Best Regards Chris

http://www.rhs.org.uk/WhatsOn/garden...llpom03may.asp

Malus 'Evereste'
Common name: This plant is a crab apple cultivar
Family: Rosaceae

Vital statistics
Height and spread: 7m (22ft) x 6m (20ft)
Form: Conical deciduous tree
Soil: Fertile, well-drained soil.
Aspect: Full sun or partial shade
Hardiness: Fully hardy.
Malus 'Evereste' @ Hyde Hall

This fine large specimen of Malus 'Evereste' is situated in the Hilltop
Garden in the bed just opposite the Shrub Rose Border. Unlike many other
Malus, which tend to get very twiggy as they mature, Malus 'Evereste'
retains a good shape and rounded habit. This plant gives a long season of
interest, its pink flowers being followed by extremely attractive red and
orange striped fruit in the autumn.

HTH