Old 06-11-2006, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Right! The bunker is built

Janet Galpin writes
The message om
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

K wrote:
Mike Lyle writes

If the OP wants quick results, I think compost in an old coal bunker
will probably need to be turned more often than in a heap to keep it
aerated. I've never been fussy, but I'm sure quickly-made hot compost
is much better than slow and cool.

Better in what way? Texture? Nutrient level?

I was thinking of nutrients. The kind of couldn't-care-less heap I've
usually made gets an awful lot of rain passing through, which must take
away much of the soluble stuff; but it's a fine soil conditioner.

Also for killing weed seeds I would have thought.
I have a real problem with these. Wherever I use my compost I get a
quick covering of dense lush weeds. I know I should sort out my
compostable material more but I find it difficult to be that methodical
as my weeding is often fairly frenetic. My heaps are much like yours
with not much hope of heating up enough to kill any seeds off.

I don't get much of a problem because the planting is too dense over
most of the garden. There is a problem on the few open areas. But I'm
not convinced that it's any worse than it would be if I didn't add any
compost - if nothing else, weeds are much easier to pull from compost
than they are from clay.
--
Kay
Old 06-11-2006, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from K contains these words:

K wrote:
[...]

Yes, that's very true. I shall console myself in future.

Janet