Old 11-11-2006, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default The unseasonable flowers thread no 3

Rosemary I can understand - mediterranean plant, hot summer, bursting
into flower as the weather gets cooler and wetter .... but Forsythia????
(1)

And I saw a rhododendron in flower in Ilkley today

(1) in case anyone asks - no, it wasn't winter jasmine - that has more
petals, paler flowers, and (for me) has been out since October. The
forsythia is only just coming into bloom.
--
Kay
Old 12-11-2006, 12:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , K
writes

(1) in case anyone asks - no, it wasn't winter jasmine - that has more
petals, paler flowers, and (for me) has been out since October. The
forsythia is only just coming into bloom.

Kay, I have a hanging basket out the front which has suddenly started to
produce lovely pink petunia flowers, although most of the summer they
never flowered being dwarfed by the Diascia!

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 12-11-2006, 01:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
Rosemary I can understand - mediterranean plant, hot summer, bursting into
flower as the weather gets cooler and wetter .... but Forsythia???? (1)

And I saw a rhododendron in flower in Ilkley today

(1) in case anyone asks - no, it wasn't winter jasmine - that has more
petals, paler flowers, and (for me) has been out since October. The
forsythia is only just coming into bloom.
--
Kay

At the house I used to live in near you there was a Rhodo that always
flowered in late December/early Jan. We called it "old snowy"-- large,
white,non scented with droopy leaves.
ISTR that this time last year we were commenting on unseasonability.
We was robbed of the Autumn colours and my Hostas regrew in December and
then got deaded by frost.
I've got just the slightest soupcon of spring already-or is it just wishful
thinking

Old 12-11-2006, 07:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
Rosemary I can understand - mediterranean plant, hot summer, bursting into
flower as the weather gets cooler and wetter .... but Forsythia???? (1)

And I saw a rhododendron in flower in Ilkley today

(1) in case anyone asks - no, it wasn't winter jasmine - that has more
petals, paler flowers, and (for me) has been out since October. The
forsythia is only just coming into bloom.
--
Kay

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes
I've got just the slightest soupcon of spring already-or is it just wishful
thinking

We always have a few roses left in November, but never the New Dawn:
this year it has the most beautiful large blossoms - even though we've
had a half-dozen heavy frosts and the water in the birdbath has been
frozen several times.

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 12-11-2006, 05:55 PM
Registered User

Location: south west france

Got quite a shock when I saw some of our bearded irises coming into bloom today - they usually flower in April. Also have honesty in flower and quite a few spring wild flowers are out and about in the fields.
jay jay

Old 14-11-2006, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:

Rosemary I can understand - mediterranean plant, hot summer, bursting
into flower as the weather gets cooler and wetter .... but Forsythia????
(1)

And I saw a rhododendron in flower in Ilkley today

(1) in case anyone asks - no, it wasn't winter jasmine - that has more
petals, paler flowers, and (for me) has been out since October. The
forsythia is only just coming into bloom.
--
Kay

A Calistimon (bottle brush) in full bloom

Old 15-11-2006, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message m, a.c.
writes

K wrote:

Rosemary I can understand - mediterranean plant, hot summer, bursting
into flower as the weather gets cooler and wetter .... but Forsythia????
(1)

And I saw a rhododendron in flower in Ilkley today

(1) in case anyone asks - no, it wasn't winter jasmine - that has more
petals, paler flowers, and (for me) has been out since October. The
forsythia is only just coming into bloom.
--
Kay

A Calistimon (bottle brush) in full bloom

I noticed this morning that, apart from the usual odd flowers, one of my
Lavateras has several strong flowering shoots in bud.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 16-11-2006, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
A Calistimon (bottle brush) in full bloom

I noticed this morning that, apart from the usual odd flowers, one of my
Lavateras has several strong flowering shoots in bud.

Our scabiosas have new flowers along with the lavatera. Though, the
fakir lilly which should still be blooming, just, is all gone.