Old 14-11-2006, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Presents

It is getting to the point when I am being asked what I want for
Xmas, and as usual I can't come up with much.

So, what really useful or fun stuff should we have on our Xmas
lists? My usual problem is that if I want it and it is
affordable, I've probably bought it, otherwise it is too
expensive for a present.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old 14-11-2006, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris J Dixon" wrote
It is getting to the point when I am being asked what I want for
Xmas, and as usual I can't come up with much.

So, what really useful or fun stuff should we have on our Xmas
lists? My usual problem is that if I want it and it is
affordable, I've probably bought it, otherwise it is too
expensive for a present.

Depends what sort of gardening you do Chris.

For me as mainly an allotment gardener....
(I have them already which is why I recommend them)

Felco Secateurs ( the best which is why professionals use them)
Wolf Multitool long wooden handle and the smaller push pull weeder (simply
the best weed hoe)
Other attachments for above. i.e. Claw.
Wolf Multitool short handle and onion hoe attachment.
Strong thin bladed Trowel for planting out seedlings. Especially those grown
in...
Roottrainers (various sizes but 5 inch are Ok for most things)
Garden Line (for getting those rows perfectly straight)
Good Draw Hoe for making drills for seed sowing (difficult to find IME)
Large plastic bucket for weed collection.

Old LandRover Defender van to keep them all in. :-)
(Which will become another hobby keeping it healthy!)

Oh and a good solid metal Wheelbarrow (builders type)

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 15-11-2006, 06:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
It is getting to the point when I am being asked what I want for
Xmas, and as usual I can't come up with much.

So, what really useful or fun stuff should we have on our Xmas
lists? My usual problem is that if I want it and it is
affordable, I've probably bought it, otherwise it is too
expensive for a present.

Chris

Books, books and more books.........on your favorite subject...... :~)
Jenny

Old 15-11-2006, 07:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
.. .
So, what really useful or fun stuff should we have on our Xmas
lists? My usual problem is that if I want it and it is
affordable, I've probably bought it, otherwise it is too
expensive for a present.

Chris

JennyC writes
Books, books and more books.........on your favorite subject...... :~)
Jenny

Oh yes, there are so many wonderful books ...

I'm also in love with those flexible large buckets - I have a whole
range in various colours and use them for everything: in the garden, in
the laundry, in the house ...

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 15-11-2006, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Klara" wrote
I'm also in love with those flexible large buckets - I have a whole
range in various colours and use them for everything: in the garden,
in the laundry, in the house ...

Good idea; I'd like another. They were definitely a good invention!

I'd also like some gardening gloves that are supple enough to be useful
and not clumsy, but also tough enough not to wear out in fortnight. And
preferably -not- made in silly flowery "feminine" colours and twee
patterns that manufacturers seem to think should suit women's sizes.

--
Sue

Old 15-11-2006, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sue" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Klara" wrote
I'm also in love with those flexible large buckets - I have a whole
range in various colours and use them for everything: in the garden,
in the laundry, in the house ...

Good idea; I'd like another. They were definitely a good invention!

I'd also like some gardening gloves that are supple enough to be useful
and not clumsy, but also tough enough not to wear out in fortnight. And
preferably -not- made in silly flowery "feminine" colours and twee
patterns that manufacturers seem to think should suit women's sizes.

--
Sue

I gave up on ordinary garden gloves many moons ago. I found that those thin
rubber type surgeon gloves to be just the job. They last for one good
gardening session.

Old 15-11-2006, 05:02 PM
Registered User

Location: South Oxfordshire

[quote=Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\]
I'd also like some gardening gloves that are supple enough to be useful
and not clumsy, but also tough enough not to wear out in fortnight. And
preferably -not- made in silly flowery "feminine" colours and twee
patterns that manufacturers seem to think should suit women's sizes.
QUOTE]

Cor, motion seconded: I get through gloves within a month easily, I'd love to find a bulk supplier of decent ones...

...my best so far are B&Q green fabric with blue leather palms and a leather strip across the knuckles - the ones with a green knitted cuff, which stops bits falling into them. They are supple enough to "feel" with, but do last, well, about 3 weeks: but they do get very hard use. They cost about a fiver a pair.

In winter I mostly wear red fleecy-lined leather ones, from er, Country Something: red suede lined in white fluffy stuff. Nice and warm, nice and supple.

But 'orrible once they get wet.

And yes, I hate those "girly" ones, too!
__________________
www.Rachel-The-Gardener.co.uk (still building website, don't expect too much!)
Jobbing Gardener, South Oxfordshire
Living Willow Sculptures and Plant Sales
Old 15-11-2006, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote
I gave up on ordinary garden gloves many moons ago. I found that those
thin rubber type surgeon gloves to be just the job. They last for one
good gardening session.

For my birthday I was given a holster to aid being quick on the draw
with the Felcos, so I feel I ought to ask for a stetson to complete the
look. Dunno if surgical gloves would suit my new image. ;-)

--
Sue

Old 16-11-2006, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris J Dixon wrote:
It is getting to the point when I am being asked what I want for
Xmas, and as usual I can't come up with much.
So, what really useful or fun stuff should we have on our Xmas
lists? My usual problem is that if I want it and it is
affordable, I've probably bought it, otherwise it is too
expensive for a present.

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Now get a violin and a flat cap!

ps. been to a wedding with a ceilidh in the evening. The best wedding
I've been to, ever ))

Old 17-11-2006, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sue" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote
I gave up on ordinary garden gloves many moons ago. I found that those
thin rubber type surgeon gloves to be just the job. They last for one
good gardening session.

For my birthday I was given a holster to aid being quick on the draw with
the Felcos, so I feel I ought to ask for a stetson to complete the look.
Dunno if surgical gloves would suit my new image. ;-)

--
Sue

Bloomin 'eck Sue that hat would look absolutely ridiculous with your black
fishnet tights and red stilettos.

Old 17-11-2006, 11:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote
"Sue" wrote
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote
I gave up on ordinary garden gloves many moons ago. I found that
those thin rubber type surgeon gloves to be just the job. They last
for one good gardening session.

For my birthday I was given a holster to aid being quick on the draw
with the Felcos, so I feel I ought to ask for a stetson to complete
the look. Dunno if surgical gloves would suit my new image. ;-)

Bloomin 'eck Sue that hat would look absolutely ridiculous with your
black fishnet tights and red stilettos.

Oh, so you've been past when I'm weeding the front border then?

--
Sue

Old 18-11-2006, 12:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sue" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote
"Sue" wrote
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote
I gave up on ordinary garden gloves many moons ago. I found that
those thin rubber type surgeon gloves to be just the job. They last
for one good gardening session.

For my birthday I was given a holster to aid being quick on the draw
with the Felcos, so I feel I ought to ask for a stetson to complete
the look. Dunno if surgical gloves would suit my new image. ;-)

Bloomin 'eck Sue that hat would look absolutely ridiculous with your
black fishnet tights and red stilettos.

Oh, so you've been past when I'm weeding the front border then?

--
Sue

Well folks she was bent down weeding wearing a mini skirt and I noticed the
red painted fingernails. Strange sight and I was tempted to............:-)

Old 18-11-2006, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote
"Sue" wrote
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote
Bloomin 'eck Sue that hat would look absolutely ridiculous with your
black fishnet tights and red stilettos.

Oh, so you've been past when I'm weeding the front border then?

Well folks she was bent down weeding wearing a mini skirt and I
noticed the red painted fingernails. Strange sight and I was tempted

.... order me a copies of Trinny and Susannah's entire back catalogue.

--
Sue