Old 20-11-2006, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default what is an allottment?

Hi everyone or anyone I am not sure what an allottment is in the UK - is it
just a name for the yard around one's house? In Canada it generally means a
portion of a communal land area where those without yards can garden.
Thanks for your help. Jean Vancouver BC Canada

Old 20-11-2006, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

clarissa wrote:
Hi everyone or anyone I am not sure what an allottment is in the UK - is it
just a name for the yard around one's house? In Canada it generally means a
portion of a communal land area where those without yards can garden.
Thanks for your help. Jean Vancouver BC Canada

It's a piece of land that you can rent on an annual basis, usually
through your local council

Old 20-11-2006, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"judith lea" wrote in message
ups.com...

clarissa wrote:
Hi everyone or anyone I am not sure what an allottment is in the UK - is
it
just a name for the yard around one's house? In Canada it generally
means a
portion of a communal land area where those without yards can garden.
Thanks for your help. Jean Vancouver BC Canada

It's a piece of land that you can rent on an annual basis, usually
through your local council

Small correction....

It's a piece of land to GROW food or plants on that you can rent on an
annual basis, usually through your local council with many bylaws and
usually rules for it's upkeep.

Although it varies quite a lot as to what's allowed and what isn't

Old 20-11-2006, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"clarissa" wrote in message
newsxl8h.19720$C94.17822@edtnps82...
Hi everyone or anyone I am not sure what an allottment is in the UK - is
it
just a name for the yard around one's house? In Canada it generally means
portion of a communal land area where those without yards can garden.
Thanks for your help. Jean Vancouver BC Canada

It's not around house. People with and without gardens have allotments in
the UK. Some fro growing veg and some people use it as a recreational area.

Lot more at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allotment_(gardening)
Jenny :~))

Old 20-11-2006, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Robbo wrote:

Small correction....

Quite right I should have said that - duh!

It's a piece of land to GROW food or plants on that you can rent on an
annual basis, usually through your local council with many bylaws and
usually rules for it's upkeep.

Although it varies quite a lot as to what's allowed and what isn't

On the University allottments, you can keep chickens!!!

Old 20-11-2006, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"judith lea" wrote in message
oups.com...

Robbo wrote:

Small correction....

Quite right I should have said that - duh!

It's a piece of land to GROW food or plants on that you can rent on an
annual basis, usually through your local council with many bylaws and
usually rules for it's upkeep.

Although it varies quite a lot as to what's allowed and what isn't

On the University allottments, you can keep chickens!!!

Yeah, but they wouldn't know how to kill and cook 'em ;-)

Old 20-11-2006, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

clarissa wrote:
Hi everyone or anyone I am not sure what an allottment is in the UK - is it
just a name for the yard around one's house? In Canada it generally means a
portion of a communal land area where those without yards can garden.
Thanks for your help. Jean Vancouver BC Canada

I've just finished a book by David Crouch, The Art of Allotments. I got
intrigued by him as he's written a lot for the ODPM (Office of prime
minister here) and I had also found 'Allotments, landscapes and
cultures' which is also a fantastic read. If you're totally new to the
story of allotments in the UK, there's your start.

Old 20-11-2006, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robbo" wrote in message

"judith lea" wrote in message
oups.com...

Robbo wrote:

Small correction....

Quite right I should have said that - duh!

It's a piece of land to GROW food or plants on that you can rent on an
annual basis, usually through your local council with many bylaws and
usually rules for it's upkeep.

Although it varies quite a lot as to what's allowed and what isn't

On the University allottments, you can keep chickens!!!

Yeah, but they wouldn't know how to kill and cook 'em ;-)

Of course they do, chase them around until they die of fright, then bung
them in the oven, simple really!

Alan

Old 20-11-2006, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"clarissa" wrote
Hi everyone or anyone I am not sure what an allottment is in the UK - is
it
just a name for the yard around one's house? In Canada it generally means
portion of a communal land area where those without yards can garden.
Thanks for your help. Jean Vancouver BC Canada

It's a field (Allotment site) split up into individual Allotment plots of
usually 10 sq Rods (Poles or Perches) a Rod is an old measurement and is
5.5yds. Some sites also have half or quarter plots for rent and some sites
that are a strange shape have strange shaped/sized plots too.
So a normal plot is 302.5 sq yards or say 250 sq metres.
Lately some Councils have started to talk in "Metric Lettings" which is a
politically correct term for Rods. 1 Rod is roughly equal to 5 metres.
Most are rented out by the local Council on an annual basis usually with the
stipulation that they are mainly used for the growing of food crops
(vegetables and fruit) although I have seen them used for flowers and
nothing has been said. In other parts of the country they even keep birds
(Chickens and pigeons) and animals (Rabbits) on their plots.
The cost varies greatly from Council to Council, our's here in Runnymede
charges £80+ pa. the highest I've heard of is £100+ pa nearer Central
London, yet others just charge only a few pounds and provide free manure. (I
wish!)

The term "Yard" over here is used for a "Builders yard" or "Breakers yard"
or similar, somewhere commercial and usually a bit messy, we don't use the
term for our gardens around our homes which are either Front Gardens or Back
Gardens.

Hope that helps. :-)

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 20-11-2006, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"clarissa" wrote
Hi everyone or anyone I am not sure what an allottment is in the UK -

SNIP

The term "Yard" over here is used for a "Builders yard" or "Breakers yard"
or similar, somewhere commercial and usually a bit messy, we don't use the
term for our gardens around our homes which are either Front Gardens or
Back Gardens.

What they all said, and more besides. Some are privately owned, some are
rented out by councils and allotment societies, ours is Administered by an
estate agent, but belongs to a local landowner. You can see ours here -

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/steveandmaggiesplot

No livestock allowed on ours, and no water provided, but for GBP 20.00 per
year we can live with that. There are some good allotment clips on youtube
etc.

Steve

Old 20-11-2006, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"clarissa" wrote in message
newsxl8h.19720$C94.17822@edtnps82...
Hi everyone or anyone I am not sure what an allottment is in the UK - is
it
just a name for the yard around one's house? In Canada it generally means
portion of a communal land area where those without yards can garden.
Thanks for your help. Jean Vancouver BC Canada

its where you go for peace and quiet and not to get nagged at where you can
sit in a shed and drink beer with other allotmentors.

Old 20-11-2006, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I own one allotment approx 7 x 30m and another I rent at £10 pa.(20 x 10m).
In effect, this gives me one large 'L' shaped allotment. They are well
drained, when I laid a concrete and breezeblock base, the drop was 25cm over
3m.
No useage restrictions, I have a tarmac'd area, which is handy. A couple of
neighbouring allotments are devoted to chickens, they enjoy lettuce that has
run to seed. At least I know the eggs we eat are genuine free-range.

Bertie

Old 20-11-2006, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"clarissa" wrote
[...]

I think you'll find parts of the UK where the area surrounding the house is
called the Yard. Skipton area for sure and other parts of Yorkshire. I would
suspect the NE too.

Trevor
East Yorkshire

Old 20-11-2006, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 19:43:39 +0100, Martin wrote:

The Dutch put up sheds on their allotments and use them as summer houses.

An allotment is a piece of a communal plot. Some of the sheds on our
site got vandalised in the summer holidays!

Pam in Bristol
Old 20-11-2006, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Trevor" wrote in message

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"clarissa" wrote
[...]

But that is usually a concreted over area, where the lavatory used to be
sited.

Alan

Trevor
East Yorkshire