Old 23-11-2006, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default jerusalem artichokes

I've started harvesting my first crop of jerusalem artichokes, a couple
of questions...

Now the foliage has died down I've cut the plants back, do I leave the
tubers in the ground all winter & just dig some up when I want to use
them?

What is the best way to store / grow some of the tubers for next year?
I understand they are difficult to get rid of, but I'd like to try to
maintain a neat row of them again.

Any advise for cooking them? roast seem to be very good so far, apart
from the side effects, and I've a 6 metre row to get through!

DD

Old 23-11-2006, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default looking for roicut anvil secateurs

Hi there, im no keen gardener but my parents are, ive been asked to find
some Roicut anvil garden secateurs, but cant find any mention of Roicut
on the net... have i been given the wrong brand name or am i spelling
it incorrectly?

They may mean Rolcut as that was a brand of secateurs, but I don't know if
the brand is still around.

Mike (the new boy)

Old 23-11-2006, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

DD
dig them up as you need them - they dry out very quickly. THough I
have never done it I guess you could store them in damp sand as per
carrot clamp
They do start to grow very early spring - so be sure to get them up by
then
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Old 23-11-2006, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

dirt dibbler writes
I've started harvesting my first crop of jerusalem artichokes, a couple
of questions...

Now the foliage has died down I've cut the plants back, do I leave the
tubers in the ground all winter & just dig some up when I want to use
them?

That has always worked for me.

What is the best way to store / grow some of the tubers for next year?

Leave them in the ground.

I understand they are difficult to get rid of, but I'd like to try to
maintain a neat row of them again.

Any advise for cooking them? roast seem to be very good so far, apart
from the side effects, and I've a 6 metre row to get through!

Boiling works - they just pop out of their skins when boiled, much
easier than trying to peel them raw. Soup is good, too.
--
Kay
Old 23-11-2006, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"dirt dibbler" wrote
I've started harvesting my first crop of jerusalem artichokes, a couple
of questions...

Now the foliage has died down I've cut the plants back, do I leave the
tubers in the ground all winter & just dig some up when I want to use
them?

What is the best way to store / grow some of the tubers for next year?
I understand they are difficult to get rid of, but I'd like to try to
maintain a neat row of them again.

Any advise for cooking them? roast seem to be very good so far, apart
from the side effects, and I've a 6 metre row to get through!

Yes, leave the fartychokes in the ground until you want to use them but get
them all up before the spring, store some in damp sand and replant these in
a neat row come warmer weather. You will then need to weed all the ones that
come up from those you missed.
Make a nice soup, good roasted.
A 6 metre row to eat? Hope nobody strikes a match in your house. :-)

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 23-11-2006, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote in message
Hi there, im no keen gardener but my parents are, ive been asked to find
some Roicut anvil garden secateurs, but cant find any mention of Roicut
on the net... have i been given the wrong brand name or am i spelling
it incorrectly?

They may mean Rolcut as that was a brand of secateurs, but I don't know if
the brand is still around.

Mike (the new boy)

What has this to do with artichokes?

Old 23-11-2006, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"dirt dibbler" wrote
[...]

I leave mine in the ground like everyone else. Extra recipes sliced into
chunks and used instead of water chestnuts in stir fry, cut fine and added
to salad, peeled boiled and mashed with potato on shepherd pie. These may be
a bit obscure but a 6M row will take some eating.

Gill M

Old 23-11-2006, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

on the net... have i been given the wrong brand name or am i spelling
it incorrectly?

They may mean Rolcut as that was a brand of secateurs, but I don't know
if the brand is still around.

Mike (the new boy)

What has this to do with artichokes?

Artichokes!!

Oh, it must be a new boy thing.

Mike (the new boy)

Old 23-11-2006, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

thanks for all the comments, I definately have a good supply for the
winter, starting with 20 odd tubers at about a foot apart has given a
productive 6m row!
I'm handing them out at work, of course 'forgetting' to mention the
side effects & not to anyone near my office!!
parp...

any other recipes or ideas are most welcome.

DD

Gill Matthews wrote:

"dirt dibbler" wrote

Old 23-11-2006, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote in message
on the net... have i been given the wrong brand name or am i spelling
it incorrectly?

They may mean Rolcut as that was a brand of secateurs, but I don't know
if the brand is still around.

Mike (the new boy)

What has this to do with artichokes?

Artichokes!!

Oh, it must be a new boy thing.

It apeared as a followup under the article jerusalem artichokes!

Alan

Mike (the new boy)

Old 24-11-2006, 12:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote
"Muddymike" wrote

[Alan wrote]
What has this to do with artichokes?

Artichokes!!

Oh, it must be a new boy thing.

It apeared as a followup under the article jerusalem artichokes!

Strange; not in my newsreader. Have you turned off threading somehow
Alan?

--
Sue

Old 24-11-2006, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sue" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Alan Holmes" wrote
"Muddymike" wrote

[Alan wrote]
What has this to do with artichokes?

Artichokes!!

Oh, it must be a new boy thing.

It apeared as a followup under the article jerusalem artichokes!

Strange; not in my newsreader. Have you turned off threading somehow Alan?

--
Sue

I think what Alan meant was:- It appeared as though it should have been a
follow-up to the article Jerusalem artichokes.?
It was in the wrong place in my newsreader also.

Old 24-11-2006, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"Sue" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Alan Holmes" wrote
"Muddymike" wrote

[Alan wrote]
What has this to do with artichokes?

Artichokes!!

Oh, it must be a new boy thing.

It apeared as a followup under the article jerusalem artichokes!

Strange; not in my newsreader. Have you turned off threading somehow Alan?

--
Sue

I think what Alan meant was:- It appeared as though it should have been a
follow-up to the article Jerusalem artichokes.?
It was in the wrong place in my newsreader also.

Ditto in Google Groups.
And here was I thinking we had a record in thread drift.

Cat(h)

Old 24-11-2006, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

dirt dibbler wrote:
thanks for all the comments, I definately have a good supply for the
winter, starting with 20 odd tubers at about a foot apart has given a
productive 6m row!
I'm handing them out at work, of course 'forgetting' to mention the
side effects & not to anyone near my office!!
parp...

any other recipes or ideas are most welcome.

Parboil them in their skin, skin them, sliced them, salt and pepper
them and saute them in clarified butter.

You can do the same from raw, but you need to put a bit of olive oil
first with the butter to avoid burning the butter.

You can do the same again but replace the clarified butter with a
greater quantity of single cream, and simmer them for 10 mins in the
cream.

You can also just boil and pure them like mashed pots (or indeed with
mashed pots).

All the above are yummy, and remind me that I really should plant a few
next Spring.

Cat(h)

Old 24-11-2006, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Sue writes

"Alan Holmes" wrote
"Muddymike" wrote

[Alan wrote]
What has this to do with artichokes?

Artichokes!!

Oh, it must be a new boy thing.

It apeared as a followup under the article jerusalem artichokes!

Strange; not in my newsreader. Have you turned off threading somehow

It did in mine, too, and I definitely haven't turned off threading.
--
Kay