Old 14-12-2006, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Suggestions of gardening books for Christmas?

Cat(h) wrote:
Have you experts, enlightened amateurs, and fellow-gardening
pedestrians, any recommendation for what might make a good Christmas
present for a person who likes gardening, but is not an expert?
Thank you in advance!

An Ear To The Ground (Garden Science for Ordinary Mortals) by Ken
Thompson. (My favourite book ever - full of humour and seriousness at
the same time).

Reading 'Narrow Dog To Carcassone' by Terry Darlington. Nothing to do
about gardening but a splendid book to offer about the journeys of a
couple (and their whippet) on their narrow boat through France.
Laughing out loud kind of book.

You can check them here.

http://www.narrowdog.com/

Old 14-12-2006, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

cannot see what else was suggested to you but here are some obvious ones:

Christopher Lloyd has a bunch ranging from the glossy coffee table book (he
had (he is dead now) a wonderful garden that photographed very very well)
via cookery (he had one book combing recipes with vegetable growing
information) to heavy learned paperback (The Well Tempered Garden is a
classic which is full of information although a bit heavy to digest after
the turkey on xmas day).

Helen Dillon had a summary of her garden column from De Turbine in Ireland.
She is witty and knows her stuff. It is in easy to read chunks and I read
the whole thing through twice it was such good bed time reading (then drift
off fantasising about her mixed borders). Cannot remember the name of the
book but it is easy to find.

Des in dark dank damp Dublin

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
oups.com...

Ornata wrote:
Alan Holmes wrote:
"Cat(h)" wrote in message
s.com...
Have you experts, enlightened amateurs, and fellow-gardening
pedestrians, any recommendation for what might make a good Christmas
present for a person who likes gardening, but is not an expert?
Thank you in advance!

Try looking in the charity shops, my wife has recently bought a number
of
very good books at a very cheap price.

Alan

Cat(h)

That's a good tip - I've bought a number of gardening books, in really
good condition, from my local charity shop, and that's in a not
particularly affluent part of south London, so I imagine the hunting
must be even better in more salubrious areas.

Another tip, if you're intending to buy books for somebody, is to
consider not just the beautifully illustrated large-format books but
also well-written paperbacks. You can take them anywhere and also read
them in bed without risk of injury! Beth Chatto has books in
paperback, as does Graham Stuart Thomas.

Thank you all for the good suggestions.
I think I might plumb for the dreaming beautiful book, rather than the
second hand paperback technical tome... we all need inspiration :-)

Cat(h)

Old 14-12-2006, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Des Higgins" wrote in message
. ie...
cannot see what else was suggested to you but here are some obvious ones:

Christopher Lloyd has a bunch ranging from the glossy coffee table book
(he had (he is dead now) a wonderful garden that photographed very very
well) via cookery (he had one book combing recipes with vegetable growing
information) to heavy learned paperback (The Well Tempered Garden is a
classic which is full of information although a bit heavy to digest after
the turkey on xmas day).

BBC has a special on him next week sometime...........:~))
Jenny

Helen Dillon had a summary of her garden column from De Turbine in
Ireland. She is witty and knows her stuff. It is in easy to read chunks
and I read the whole thing through twice it was such good bed time reading
(then drift off fantasising about her mixed borders). Cannot remember the
name of the book but it is easy to find.

Des in dark dank damp Dublin

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
oups.com...

Ornata wrote:
Alan Holmes wrote:
s.com...

Old 14-12-2006, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Des Higgins" wrote in message
. ie...
cannot see what else was suggested to you but here are some obvious
ones:

Christopher Lloyd has a bunch ranging from the glossy coffee table book
(he had (he is dead now) a wonderful garden that photographed very very
well) via cookery (he had one book combing recipes with vegetable
growing information) to heavy learned paperback (The Well Tempered
Garden is a classic which is full of information although a bit heavy to
digest after the turkey on xmas day).

BBC has a special on him next week sometime...........:~))
Jenny

Ta for the tip!!!

Friday 22 December, BBC Two, 8pm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/tv_an...ur_index.shtml

Old 14-12-2006, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

JennyC wrote:
Friday 22 December, BBC Two, 8pm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/tv_an...ur_index.shtml

Looking so so much forward to it!! A contrary gardener - what a great
description )

Old 14-12-2006, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Cat(h) wrote:
Have you experts, enlightened amateurs, and fellow-gardening
pedestrians, any recommendation for what might make a good Christmas
present for a person who likes gardening, but is not an expert?
Thank you in advance!
Cat(h)

Many thanks to all of you, for some most interesting suggestions. I
have taken note of all, and the forthcoming week end being the last
week end before Christmas, I will arm myself of all my patience, and
traipse through a few bookshops :-)

Thank you all very, very much, again.

Cat(h)

Old 17-12-2006, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tim Tim is offline

Cat(h) wrote:
Have you experts, enlightened amateurs, and fellow-gardening
pedestrians, any recommendation for what might make a good Christmas
present for a person who likes gardening, but is not an expert?
Thank you in advance!
Cat(h)

Many thanks to all of you, for some most interesting suggestions. I
have taken note of all, and the forthcoming week end being the last
week end before Christmas, I will arm myself of all my patience, and
traipse through a few bookshops :-)

Thank you all very, very much, again.

Cat(h)

Hi
It might be a bit late for you but I've just ordered the Principles of
Horticulture

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Principles-Horticulture-C-R-Adams/dp/0750660880/sr=1-1/qid=1166386269/ref=sr_1_1/026-8036513-3488429?ie=UTF8&s=books

Don't know if others here would recommend it or not but the reviews seem
pretty good

Tim
--
http://www.timdenning.myby.co.uk/

Old 18-12-2006, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tim wrote:
It might be a bit late for you but I've just ordered the Principles of
Horticulture
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Principles-Horticulture-C-R-Adams/dp/0750660880/sr=1-1/qid=1166386269/ref=sr_1_1/026-8036513-3488429?ie=UTF8&s=books
Don't know if others here would recommend it or not but the reviews seem
pretty good

It was recommended reading for our RHS2. It is pretty serious - I'd be
upset to get this for xmas. I've asked Santa for The New Complete Book
of Self-Sufficiency: The Classic Guide for Realists and Dreamers by
John Seymour. Can't wait for Monday morning ... !!

Old 18-12-2006, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
GBP19from Sharston Books Manchester

Very clever! Ta but Santa knows EXACTLY where to go I'm sure.

Can't wait for Monday morning ... !!

It is Monday morning. Get real, are you dreaming?

Don't - I had to read this a couple of times. Just didn't sink in!! For
a second there ....

I've just carried 3 boxes of crackers from Deansgate. Trust me, it's
far enough. Its for our team xmas do tomorrow - I've book the Circus
School for 4 hours, I'm not kidding and nobody knows where we're going
beside me and 2 others, followed by lunch (stew) and drinks (ale) in a
little pub in .... Rochdale. The money we've saved from a grand
extravagant diner, travel, booze and xmas shenanigans is going to
charity. That's the spirit me think )

Old 18-12-2006, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tim Tim is offline

Tim wrote:
It might be a bit late for you but I've just ordered the Principles
of Horticulture
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Principles-Horticulture-C-R-Adams/dp/0750660880/sr=1-1/qid=1166386269/ref=sr_1_1/026-8036513-3488429?ie=UTF8&s=books
Don't know if others here would recommend it or not but the reviews
seem pretty good

It was recommended reading for our RHS2. It is pretty serious - I'd be
upset to get this for xmas.

Who said I got it for you :-p
Thanks for the info - I think it'll be fine for the person I have in mind -
and it was that or a festive garden tool :-)
Don't worry she'll be getting some nice prezzies too

I've asked Santa for The New Complete Book
of Self-Sufficiency: The Classic Guide for Realists and Dreamers by
John Seymour. Can't wait for Monday morning ... !!

Now that on the other hand sounds like a right page turner :-)))

Best regards and I hope you have a great Christmas
Tim
--
http://www.timdenning.myby.co.uk/

Old 20-12-2006, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tim wrote:
Who said I got it for you :-p

grin

Thanks for the info - I think it'll be fine for the person I have in mind -
and it was that or a festive garden tool :-)
Don't worry she'll be getting some nice prezzies too

Phew! For a moment there I thought here goes another mariage ...

I've asked Santa for The New Complete Book
of Self-Sufficiency: The Classic Guide for Realists and Dreamers by
John Seymour. Can't wait for Monday morning ... !!

Now that on the other hand sounds like a right page turner :-)))

LOL!! Listen here sunny .. LOL! ... Well, I'm not sure what's happening
to me but as soon as I stop shaving my legs I've asked my kids to push
me off a cliff ;o)

Best regards and I hope you have a great Christmas

Best wishes and a cozy, warm and cuddly Christmas to you too.

Old 23-12-2006, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tim Tim is offline

Tim wrote:
Who said I got it for you :-p

grin

Thanks for the info - I think it'll be fine for the person I have in
mind - and it was that or a festive garden tool :-)
Don't worry she'll be getting some nice prezzies too

Phew! For a moment there I thought here goes another mariage ...

Actually she's an ex girlfriend! we managed to stay friends though -
probably cos I buy her such amazing gifts :-p

I've asked Santa for The New Complete Book
of Self-Sufficiency: The Classic Guide for Realists and Dreamers by
John Seymour. Can't wait for Monday morning ... !!

Now that on the other hand sounds like a right page turner :-)))

LOL!! Listen here sunny .. LOL! ... Well, I'm not sure what's
happening to me but as soon as I stop shaving my legs I've asked my
kids to push me off a cliff ;o)

Wise lady - you can have too much of a good thing!

Best regards and I hope you have a great Christmas

Best wishes and a cozy, warm and cuddly Christmas to you too.

Thanks La Puce

Tim
--
http://www.timdenning.myby.co.uk/