Old 11-12-2006, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Suggestions of gardening books for Christmas?

Have you experts, enlightened amateurs, and fellow-gardening
pedestrians, any recommendation for what might make a good Christmas
present for a person who likes gardening, but is not an expert?
Thank you in advance!
Cat(h)

Old 11-12-2006, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
s.com...
Have you experts, enlightened amateurs, and fellow-gardening
pedestrians, any recommendation for what might make a good Christmas
present for a person who likes gardening, but is not an expert?
Thank you in advance!
Cat(h)

Any of the 'expert' series by D.G. Hessayon
Easy to read - full of really useful info - not too expensive

OR a gorgeous book with photo's - even beginners need to dream :~)

Jenny

Old 11-12-2006, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote...
Have you experts, enlightened amateurs, and fellow-gardening
pedestrians, any recommendation for what might make a good Christmas
present for a person who likes gardening, but is not an expert?

Depends what sort of gardening they do but any good quality tools...
Felco secuteurs and holster.
Wolf Multitool small push pull weeder & long Handle. (for veg growers
mainly)
Wolf short handle and their pruning saw.(trees to prune?)
A thin bladed stainless steel trowel. (can't stand the normal type since I
got mine)
--
Regards
Bob H

Old 11-12-2006, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
s.com...
Have you experts, enlightened amateurs, and fellow-gardening
pedestrians, any recommendation for what might make a good Christmas
present for a person who likes gardening, but is not an expert?
Thank you in advance!

Try looking in the charity shops, my wife has recently bought a number of
very good books at a very cheap price.

Alan

Cat(h)

Old 12-12-2006, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Alan Holmes wrote:
"Cat(h)" wrote in message
s.com...
Have you experts, enlightened amateurs, and fellow-gardening
pedestrians, any recommendation for what might make a good Christmas
present for a person who likes gardening, but is not an expert?
Thank you in advance!

Try looking in the charity shops, my wife has recently bought a number of
very good books at a very cheap price.

Alan

Cat(h)

That's a good tip - I've bought a number of gardening books, in really
good condition, from my local charity shop, and that's in a not
particularly affluent part of south London, so I imagine the hunting
must be even better in more salubrious areas.

Another tip, if you're intending to buy books for somebody, is to
consider not just the beautifully illustrated large-format books but
also well-written paperbacks. You can take them anywhere and also read
them in bed without risk of injury! Beth Chatto has books in
paperback, as does Graham Stuart Thomas.

Old 13-12-2006, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ornata wrote:
Alan Holmes wrote:
"Cat(h)" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

Thank you all for the good suggestions.
I think I might plumb for the dreaming beautiful book, rather than the
second hand paperback technical tome... we all need inspiration :-)

Cat(h)

Old 13-12-2006, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote
Thank you all for the good suggestions.
I think I might plumb for the dreaming beautiful book, rather than the
second hand paperback technical tome... we all need inspiration :-)
Cat(h)

I love to get special books that I myself find too expensive :~))
Jenny

Old 13-12-2006, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Cat(h) wrote:
Have you experts, enlightened amateurs, and fellow-gardening
pedestrians, any recommendation for what might make a good Christmas
present for a person who likes gardening, but is not an expert?
Thank you in advance!
Cat(h)

Cath , a really useful book is the hardback EHS Encyclopaeda of
Gardening by Christopher Bricael. I have it and bought it from Amazon
- here is what they said about it:

This reference book gives photographic explanations of every gardening
technique and has more than 500 separate step-by-step sequences.
Written by a team of international experts over three years, its range
and depth illustrates authoritative and up-to-date practical gardening
skills from simple to advanced. There are four major sections. Part one
covers all the different plant groups and areas of the garden, advising
on the uses of the plants, soil preparation, planting, maintenance,
pruning and propagation. The chapters include: ornamental trees and
shrubs, climbers, the rose garden, perennials, annuals and biennials,
the rock garden, the water garden, cacti, the herb and vegetable
gardens and fruit. Part two gets to grips with the practicalities of
tools and equipment, greenhouses and frames, and garden structures and
surfaces. Part three covers successful cultivation and propagation
techniques by looking at the climate and how to protect plants, soil
types and fertilizers, treating pests and diseases - including organic
methods of treatment alongside conventional or chemical controls, plant
problems, and dealing with weeds. Part four contains seasonal
reminders, and a glossary and index which includes common names.

and another one, which I do not have but might buy is:

The Complete Gardener
By Monty Don

Hardcover- 440 pages
Dorling Kindersley (2003)
ISBN: 075136441X

Indicative price (confirm before purchase): £17.50
GoodGardenBooks RatingGoodGardenBooks RatingGoodGardenBooks
RatingGoodGardenBooks Rating

Packed with practical advice, this volume breathes new life into every
aspect of gardening. Drawing directly on the experience gained from his
own organic plot in Herefordshire, Monty Don explains how a sustainable
approach to gardening is the way forward for all keen gardeners. The
book features photograhs taken over the course of a year in Monty's own
garden, showing you how to grow strong, healthy plants and harvest
delicious produce while respecting the needs of the environment.
Straightforward, practical advice and step-by-step photographs combine
to show best practice in food and flowers, from composting and pest
management to sowing, planting and harvesting fruit and vegetables, and
which varieties to choose for the most successful results. Good design
is also emphasized, with advice on using colour, shape and texture in
the flower garden

I buy a lot of books from Amazon, I have just bought one about the
chemistry of cooking for my husband - I could spend a lot of time
browsing their site for books, it's as good as visiting a library, the
only thing missing is that lovely smell of books.

Old 13-12-2006, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

judith lea wrote:
Cat(h) wrote:
[...]

These are good suggestions. Thank you.

Cat(h)

Old 13-12-2006, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
On 13/12/06 14:27, in article

The RHS Encyclopedia is terrific but Judith has the spelling of the author's
surname wrong, It's Brickells. He's a past Director General of the RHS (I
think I have that position right!) and what he doesn't know......nice man,
too!
He's also written this:
The RHS Essential Garden Planning and Construction (Rhs) (Paperback)
I haven't read it myself but I know a man who's going to come Christmas
time! ;-)

You know me Dear, I always get names wrong

Old 13-12-2006, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:

One of Tesco's Xmas gardening books isn't published until April 2007.
--

Martin

Which one is it?

Old 13-12-2006, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"judith lea" wrote in message
ups.com...

Sacha wrote:
On 13/12/06 14:27, in article

The RHS Encyclopedia is terrific but Judith has the spelling of the
author's
surname wrong, It's Brickells. He's a past Director General of the RHS
(I
think I have that position right!) and what he doesn't know......nice
man,
too!
He's also written this:
The RHS Essential Garden Planning and Construction (Rhs) (Paperback)
I haven't read it myself but I know a man who's going to come Christmas
time! ;-)

You know me Dear, I always get names wrong

I have trouble remembering them so I rarely get them wrong!(:-(

Alan

Old 13-12-2006, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Sacha writes
On 13/12/06 14:27, in article
m, "Cat(h)"
wrote:

judith lea wrote:
Cat(h) wrote:
Have you experts, enlightened amateurs, and fellow-gardening
pedestrians, any recommendation for what might make a good Christmas
present for a person who likes gardening, but is not an expert?
Thank you in advance!
Cat(h)

Cath , a really useful book is the hardback EHS Encyclopaeda of
Gardening by Christopher Bricael.

snip
These are good suggestions. Thank you.

The RHS Encyclopedia is terrific but Judith has the spelling of the author's
surname wrong, It's Brickells.

He's singular, not plural ;-)

He's actually the editor rather than the author - there is a long list
of expert contributors including Michael Gibson, Clive Innes, Joy
Larkcom, Arthur Hellyer

--
Kay