Old 15-12-2006, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hardy annuals

Looking for suggestions and its years since growing any hardy annuals.
Have been remodelling part of the garden and it will be a couple of years
until the permanent planting is looking good so need to fill some big gaps.
I want to sow in situ
It must be medium to big in size.
Not too prone to slug attack as the new area has masses of vegetable matter
in the soil and is bound to be very sluggy.
Not bothered about colour.
Any suggestions?
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 15-12-2006, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
Looking for suggestions and its years since growing any hardy annuals.
Have been remodelling part of the garden and it will be a couple of years
until the permanent planting is looking good so need to fill some big
gaps.
I want to sow in situ
It must be medium to big in size.
Not too prone to slug attack as the new area has masses of vegetable
matter
in the soil and is bound to be very sluggy.
Not bothered about colour.
Any suggestions?
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

Sun or shade Charlie ?

Great swaths of night scented stocks would smell amazing
Phlox
Sweet peas - would could grow them up something to fill tall gaps
Cosmos
Foxgloves - there are nice varieties about nowadays - I know they are
biennials, but they seed about so well:~)
Lavatera

HTH Jenny

Old 15-12-2006, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

[...]

Cosmos are not hardy (I think) but are very very good plants.
Purity have beautiful snow white flowers and keep flowering from July to end
October.
They easily grow in one season from seeds in trays in late April/May.
Christopher Lloyd recommended Cosmos purity to be grown with (have forgotten
name here :-)
ehh Mexican sunflower thing .... Compositae with bright orange flowers;
grows to 4-5 feet/1.5 metres high and also a half hardy annual; sow
in seed trays at same time as Cosmos.
We did them together one year and it was stunning. The following year it
was Arctic and then very windy for may and june and they never got going and
I never did it since.

Des

Old 15-12-2006, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

[...]

Mostly sunny.
I shall probably weed out some foxgloves from the gravel paths to use in
some spaces and I have had great success with Lavatera in the past so will
probably try those again.
Cosmos, is it a hardy annual? I will be sowing in March at latest, outside
in the ground. (No space in greenhouses at that time of year!)

Old 15-12-2006, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in a message:
Looking for suggestions and its years since growing any hardy annuals.
Have been remodelling part of the garden and it will be a couple of years
until the permanent planting is looking good so need to fill some big
gaps.
I want to sow in situ
It must be medium to big in size.
Not too prone to slug attack as the new area has masses of vegetable
matter
in the soil and is bound to be very sluggy.
Not bothered about colour.
Any suggestions?
-----

After a few failures put down to this summer's heat, I too had a few gaps to
fill in my borders. Undoubtedly the most successful fillers were Mr.
Fothergill's Cosmos mixtures. Although they didn't come into their own until
August, they proved to be quite magnificent.
As an added bonus, the slugs and snails left them alone too.

MikeCT

Old 15-12-2006, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"MikeCT" wrote in message

-----

After a few failures put down to this summer's heat, I too had a few gaps

fill in my borders. Undoubtedly the most successful fillers were Mr.
Fothergill's Cosmos mixtures. Although they didn't come into their own

until
August, they proved to be quite magnificent.
As an added bonus, the slugs and snails left them alone too.

MikeCT

I will look them up, my mum always does them and they look fantastic in late
September early October. I normally avoid anything that involves work during
the season but this coming year I don't think I can avoid it! (I hate gaps
more!!) and if the slugs give them a chance so much the better.

Old 15-12-2006, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
Looking for suggestions and its years since growing any hardy annuals.
Have been remodelling part of the garden and it will be a couple of years
until the permanent planting is looking good so need to fill some big
gaps.
I want to sow in situ
It must be medium to big in size.
Not too prone to slug attack as the new area has masses of vegetable
matter
in the soil and is bound to be very sluggy.
Not bothered about colour.
Any suggestions?
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

How about love-in-a-mist and cornflowers I used this mixture once and it
didnt seem to be too slug tasty. It did self seed a bit tho ;-)

Gill M

Old 15-12-2006, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote
Looking for suggestions and its years since growing any hardy annuals.
Have been remodelling part of the garden and it will be a couple of
years until the permanent planting is looking good so need to fill
some big gaps. I want to sow in situ
It must be medium to big in size.
Not too prone to slug attack as the new area has masses of vegetable
matter in the soil and is bound to be very sluggy.
Not bothered about colour.
Any suggestions?

What about Cornflowers, Clarkia, Larkspur, Scabious, and Opium poppies.
You could try some new varieties of Helianthus - I rather fancy some of
the deep red shades they have now.

--
Sue

Old 15-12-2006, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Des Higgins" wrote in message
. ie...

"JennyC" wrote in message

[...]

Remembered/googled now: Tithonia rotundifolia;
used to be able to get the species or varity Torch from T+M but now they
have a mixed colour one only.
Can probably get them from Chiltern. It looked so well combined with the
Cosmos purity that people used to stop and point at them in our front
garden.

Old 15-12-2006, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
Looking for suggestions and its years since growing any hardy annuals.
Have been remodelling part of the garden and it will be a couple of years
until the permanent planting is looking good so need to fill some big

gaps.
I want to sow in situ
It must be medium to big in size.
Not too prone to slug attack as the new area has masses of vegetable

matter
in the soil and is bound to be very sluggy.
Not bothered about colour.
Any suggestions?

How about Corn Cockles (Agrostemma githago)
http://www.eseeds.com/c-3889-agrostemma-githago.aspx

Or good old fashioned pot marigold?
http://www.eseeds.com/c-6267-calendu...alis-nova.aspx

Are these any good?
--
Tips for Evil Cult Members:
117. Never play strip Tarot.

Old 15-12-2006, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Charlie Pridham wrote:
"MikeCT" wrote in message

-----

After a few failures put down to this summer's heat, I too had a few gaps

fill in my borders. Undoubtedly the most successful fillers were Mr.
Fothergill's Cosmos mixtures. Although they didn't come into their own

until
August, they proved to be quite magnificent.
As an added bonus, the slugs and snails left them alone too.

MikeCT

I will look them up, my mum always does them and they look fantastic in late
September early October. I normally avoid anything that involves work during
the season but this coming year I don't think I can avoid it! (I hate gaps
more!!) and if the slugs give them a chance so much the better.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.

I was talking to an urgler recently about Chocolate Cosmos, which I now
treat as a weed. It was beautiful in the one bed in which it was
planted until it seeded itself everywhere, including the vegetable and
fruit gardens and cracks in the paving stones It proves what one
urgler wrote about weeds many years ago; that weeds are merely unwanted
plants. If you can keep it under control Charlie, it is a delightful
addition in a border.

Old 15-12-2006, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"MikeCT" wrote in message

-----

[...]

Hello Charlie-I don't knowingly do annuals so I had a bit of a think about
the stuff that self seeds here each season.
Myosotis (I forget it's common name) is allowed to grow where it wants and
gives a good loose ground cover till mid season by which time other things
are taking over. Perhaps not big enough for you.
Cerinthe is worth a go-it's still doing it's stuff now in December. Self
seeds well and easy to remove when you get fed up with it.
How about nasturtiums?-too garish for your sophisticated taste:-)

If you avoid doing anything that involves work during the season does this
mean you are now active or do you hibernate during winter. Sounds like a
good deal to me:-))

Old 15-12-2006, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Cosmos are not hardy (I think) but are very very good plants.
Purity have beautiful snow white flowers and keep flowering from July to end
October.
They easily grow in one season from seeds in trays in late April/May.
Christopher Lloyd recommended Cosmos purity to be grown with (have forgotten
name here :-)
ehh Mexican sunflower thing .... Compositae with bright orange flowers;
grows to 4-5 feet/1.5 metres high and also a half hardy annual; sow
in seed trays at same time as Cosmos.
We did them together one year and it was stunning. The following year it
was Arctic and then very windy for may and june and they never got going and
I never did it since.

I've found that a lot of Compositae are very prone to slug damage -
cornflower, sunflower for example.

I've stopped sowing annuals straight into the garden - the young shoots
are too vulnerable. Things which are nibbled as soon as they emerge from
the soil often survive a lot better if they're planted out about 6
inches high.
--
Kay
Old 15-12-2006, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Charlie Pridham writes
Mostly sunny.
I shall probably weed out some foxgloves from the gravel paths to use
in some spaces and I have had great success with Lavatera in the past
so will probably try those again.

Not as big as Lavatera, but related, and not particularly attractive to
slugs is Musk Mallow -pretty serrated foliage and white or link flowers
all through the summer.

Aquilegia also seem slug hardy

--
Kay
Old 15-12-2006, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:
Not as big as Lavatera, but related, and not particularly attractive to
slugs is Musk Mallow -pretty serrated foliage and white or link flowers
all through the summer.

I've grown a lovely white/pale pink this year next to some fennel and
the contrast was so appetising kept making me hungry )

Aquilegia also seem slug hardy

Got carried away and sow far too much hellychrysums. Totally slug hardy
and will last for years, indoors of course. Friends got bored with my
offers of posies ... This year I'll do some gypsofphila in all the gaps.

potting hardy annuals stuart noble United Kingdom 15 15-11-2012 06:36 PM
Hardy annuals and biennials Alison United Kingdom 0 06-02-2003 04:58 PM
Hardy annuals and biennials Martin Sykes United Kingdom 2 05-02-2003 06:25 PM
hardy annuals Marley1372 Gardening 3 27-01-2003 02:59 PM
Name your Top10 Hardy Annuals HaaRoy United Kingdom 1 18-01-2003 02:43 PM