Old 18-12-2006, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Water help..please

We've nearly finished this pool (on web below) which is 20 yards by 15. I
have looked at hundreds of pools and the planting round the edges and my
mind is always drawn to the exotic like those in ancient Egypt and Mexico.
I know I can't grow such things but there must be something that can be
grown that looks like these plants.
Someone suggesting bamboo, previously is something I thought I could use
hereabouts I have a nigra a large clump..I just hope it will move OK... I
am sure there should be plants that wave in the breeze. The spot is in
full sun from about 10am to 5pm and I'm hoping to be able to use solar to
work the pumps. It seems such a waste to let all this water overflowing
everywhere in this area... so we'll collect sky water as much as
possible.BUT plants I'm completely foxed. I don't want to put their feet
in the water just along the sides which are to be filled with backing
cement/stones and soil. Summer we hopefully can water the vegetables.

http://www.saveoursaxon.co.uk/whatplants.html
Old 18-12-2006, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi,
Solar pumps are unlikely to be powerful enough to cope with the amount of
water in this pond.
you will need to work out cubic voloume of the pond
width X depth X length
then look for pumps sufficient to change water every 20 mins to half hour
depending on what fish you carry.

You should consider what plants are going into pool first, as come spring
you will have the best pea soup in the neighbourhood.
SEcondly
Plants for round the hedge would look good spreading over the hedge into the
pool to break up the straight lines perennials such as hostas always look
good.
gound cover such as houtiniana (I think thats correct spelling), ajuga,
creeping jenny, nepeta, all these will grow over and into the pond and
provide a ladder for wildlife to crawl back out. and provide cover for
emerging baby frogs and newts. Remember a pond is (wild)for life not just
for christmas
Take a look at the rhs website for pond plants.
Apologies for any spelling/typing mistakes, 1 2 many glasses of Hock.
Regards
Cineman

news

Old 19-12-2006, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

If its not going in the pond Dierama pulcherrimum. Bamboo looks good but you
will find it hard to move. Arums also look good both in and out of the
water. Someone has also given me something that looks a little like a small
papyrus but hardy (the real thing is not) and I wonder if your climate suits
whether Restios might not look good.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 19-12-2006, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 09:09:30 +0000, Charlie Pridham wrote:

[...]

Now that sounds lovely..I believe the flowers are Angels' fishing rods.
They have a gorgeous display at Bodnant Garden. Unfortunately thinking
our soil being sandy, like theirs we could grow anything they do. That
was
mistake as I bought five eucryphia I foolishly fell in love with; all
died.
I would try adventurous things and arrange for a climate they would like
one way or another.
You have sent me into an fever of excitement re the papyrus. Now really
could I want anything more..I am just watching the Howard Carter open the
Tut tomb all day on UKTV History!
I have to look up Restios I don;t knwo them. Our climate considerably
further north than yours doesn't give us such wonderful choices. I have
discovered cleome something we didn't have in our garden at home they're
pretty good.
Thanks
*************************************

Old 19-12-2006, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Welsh Witch wrote:
[...]

Grasses, large and small.
Names elude me atm.............at the bottom of a bottle of 'Good French
red'
--
ßôyþëtë
(Wilibald Cotton of Overhill)

Old 20-12-2006, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Welsh Witch wrote:
[...]

One plant you could try is Cyperus involucratus. I grew it from seed
(RHS) this spring and ended up with loads of plants, some of which are
growing as houseplants. Others are outdoors in pots and have died back
for the winter. They should shoot again in spring. I'm not sure
they'd be hardy for you, but they are so easy to grow from seed, very
fast growing, and they thrive in constant moisture, so perhaps it's
worth a try? Take a look at this URL:
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2532/

And Gunnera manicata could make a nice contrast to the swaying,
reed-like plants you're after...?

Old 20-12-2006, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Ornata wrote:
Welsh Witch wrote:
[...]

And -- don't everybody shout at once -- the much-maligned pampas grass
looks very fine reflected in water as long as there's enough of it to
make a good statement. Isn't there one of our number who grows it
behind big gunneras on the far side of a big pond? It's only in a
lonely clump in a suburban front lawn that it looks daft.

--
Mike.

Old 20-12-2006, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 03:35:16 -0800, Ornata wrote:

Welsh Witch wrote:
[...]

THis is a fabulous website. Thankyou so much for passing it on. I've
fallen madly in love with "happenstance" and there are many more from the
suggestions on this website I shall be buying.
**************************

Old 20-12-2006, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

*****************************************8
I went around your beautiful gardem I really enjoyed the tour. I love the
dierama of which I see you have a super clump. I think I have most of the
same roses. I love roses more than anything else and I have planted them
down one complete side of our four acres. I saw on the labels that some
grow to 50'. They are getting to look super. The farmer next door does
troll round the fields with his hedge cutter bu there you go...one does
one's best:-)
What ideas you have all come up with I have to go to study them in depth
now!
*********************************

Old 20-12-2006, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 07:55:28 -0800, Mike Lyle wrote:

Ornata wrote:
Welsh Witch wrote:
[...]

******************************
I love pampas grass and like fashion largely ignore the fashionable:-)

I have made a special thing with pampas grass which in the plan is just
baby pampas walk. I thought I would have them right around the edge of the
hill (not much of a hill) as the Zulu warriors ringed the Welsh guards at
Rourkes Drift. I am hoping it will be pretty impressive with all their
headresses fluttering in the breeze I think I've planted about 50/100 not
sure. Then we will have the blood red crocosmia lucifer etc.
There's one thing I would love to grow but every time I touch it it dies
off even if I have it in a pot with perfect compost...cordyline!
Gunera...I can't make up my mind. They're a bit rough to touch aren;'t
they?

Old 20-12-2006, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Welsh Witch" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 07:55:28 -0800, Mike Lyle wrote:

Snip
There's one thing I would love to grow but every time I touch it it dies
off even if I have it in a pot with perfect compost...cordyline!

Cordylines are often sold too small to survive frost, either buy bigger or
grow on for a couple of years, once you have a decent trunk they nearly
always return from below ground if cut down by cold, (happens about every 15
years or so in Truro.) and if you are borderline for hardiness don't bother
with the coloured leaf forms which are less hardy than the plain greens.