Old 22-08-2012, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default I'm a bit annoyed

My brother has obviously been down to the plot and dug up most of the early
potatoes (when I went there today)
What he hasn't done is weeding. For weeks or months even.
Yes, I know he works hard and for long hours but he expects me to do it, and
I cannot cope with such a large plot without his help.
I weed as much as I can, but my health is precarious and he knows it.
I am so annoyed that I was almost thinking of changing the padlock on the
gate (we both have keys)

I picked some runner beans today and put them on his doorstep along with
carrots which he has not thinned so I did.
When I went there I saw in his plastic compost bin the lettuce I took him
last week and half of the large courgettes.
FGS, what's the point of growing things if you cannot be bothered to eat
them?
To say I am annoyed is an understatement.

Old 23-08-2012, 01:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-08-22 19:14:55 +0100, "Christina Websell"
said:

[...]

Slow down a bit, Christina. I do understand your annoyance but look at it
another way, if I may suggest that. He may be trying to do what he can to
help you but without being able to use all the produce, so he's trying to
hide that from you to be polite, or kind. If, as you say, he works long
hours, it may be that he'll weed when he can but it won't be as often as
you like. Is the plot as useful to him as it is to you, if maintained,
may be the question, do you think? Give him a break for a while because I
suspect he's a bit over-stretched rather than unwilliing. If you change
the lock on the gate then a family breach is inevitable. It really isn't
worth that over a few veg, imo.

I won't really change the lock, was just annoyed and venting.
He does work terrible hours but he expects me to do more than I can.

Old 23-08-2012, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-08-22 19:14:55 +0100, "Christina Websell"
said:

[...]

Before you come to blows I think you should seriously consider using
glyphosate for spot weeding and give up on this Organic(TM) fetish.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 23-08-2012, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Christina Websell wrote:
I picked some runner beans today and put them on his doorstep along with
carrots which he has not thinned so I did.

Be careful thinning carrots, you'll bring the carrot fly in
Old 24-08-2012, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Christina Websell
writes
To say I am annoyed is an understatement.

Why not share with someone who wants to do their fair share? Advertise
at a gardening club locally and I am sure someone will respond/
At least that way you could manage.
--
Janet Tweedy

Old 24-08-2012, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-08-22 19:14:55 +0100, "Christina Websell"
said:

[...]

We won't come to blows. I'll just remind him about when I changed his nappy
;-)
We don't have an organic fetish, we are trying it this year as no chemicals
have been spilled on the land for the last 20+ years.
We'd prefer to keep it like that if we can.

Old 24-08-2012, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
I picked some runner beans today and put them on his doorstep along with
carrots which he has not thinned so I did.

Be careful thinning carrots, you'll bring the carrot fly in

I know but it needed doing.

Old 24-08-2012, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Christina Websell
writes
To say I am annoyed is an understatement.

Why not share with someone who wants to do their fair share? Advertise at
a gardening club locally and I am sure someone will respond/
At least that way you could manage.
--

OMG this would set off a family disagreement. That's why it's difficult.

Old 24-08-2012, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/08/2012 23:07, Christina Websell wrote:
wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
I picked some runner beans today and put them on his doorstep along with
carrots which he has not thinned so I did.

Be careful thinning carrots, you'll bring the carrot fly in

I know but it needed doing.

If you are thining them, then cover them with Horticultural fleece.

Old 26-08-2012, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message

In article , Christina Websell
writes
To say I am annoyed is an understatement.

Why not share with someone who wants to do their fair share? Advertise
at
a gardening club locally and I am sure someone will respond/
At least that way you could manage.
--

OMG this would set off a family disagreement. That's why it's difficult.

Why not adopt a style of gardening that doesn't require weeding. Ie
pick plants that are vigorous enough and tall enough to cope with
weeds. More trees and bushes than little carrots.
_______
The whole idea was to have an organic vegetable plot to feed six people.
I made it clear that if I provided the land and most of the seeds, and sowed
them, he would do most of the work.
I don't really want to go into my health problems on here, but it was a good
deal for my brother.
It's impossible to get an allotment here - there aren't any. Hence the
council stalking me for years to allow them to have my paddock..they were so
desperate that they said they would name it after me "Websell Gardens" Bad
luck that council ;-)

Tina

Old 26-08-2012, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-08-22 19:14:55 +0100, "Christina Websell"
said:

[...]

Get real! Overcome your irrational fear of synthetic chemicals.

There are far more dangerous chemicals in the parts of food crops that
you don't eat like potato, tomato and rhubarb. Celery is a borderline
dermatitis sensitiser and by normal heuristics lettuce with it's milky
sap unsafe to eat. Organic (TM) peanut butter is about the most deadly
thing offered on public sale these days. The slightest error in storage
and the stuff is laden with highly carcinogenic fungal toxins. The
prerservatives by comparison are benign. The dose makes the poison.

You don't have time to mess about with Organic (TM) fetish gardening.
Minimum inputs growing is entirely rational and very cheap to do.
A small bottle of generic glyphosate lasts me about 3 years.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 26-08-2012, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NT NT is offline

wrote:
[...]

Well, if you reevaluate how youre doing it it sounds like it could be
a real success. Weed survivors are basically small trees, bushes,
climbers, and tough vigorous lower growers. From those you can have
lots of fruit, nuts, teas, and very limited salad. Retain nettle
patches for a vegetable

NT
Old 27-08-2012, 07:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , meow2222
@care2.com says...

wrote:
"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message

In article , Christina Websell
writes
To say I am annoyed is an understatement.

Why not share with someone who wants to do their fair share? Advertise at
a gardening club locally and I am sure someone will respond/
At least that way you could manage.
--

OMG this would set off a family disagreement. *That's why it's difficult.

Why not adopt a style of gardening that doesn't require weeding. Ie
pick plants that are vigorous enough and tall enough to cope with
weeds. More trees and bushes than little carrots.

Because it's a vegetable garden to grow vegetables in? Vegetable seedlings almost always
require weeding, at leat in the earliest stages.

Janet

Old 27-08-2012, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NT NT is offline

On Aug 27, 7:03*am, "Her@Nowhere" wrote:
In article , meow2222
@care2.com says...

wrote:
"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message

In article , Christina Websell
writes
To say I am annoyed is an understatement.

Why not share with someone who wants to do their fair share? Advertise at
a gardening club locally and I am sure someone will respond/
At least that way you could manage.
--

OMG this would set off a family disagreement. That's why it's difficult.

Why not adopt a style of gardening that doesn't require weeding. Ie
pick plants that are vigorous enough and tall enough to cope with
weeds. More trees and bushes than little carrots.

* Because it's a vegetable garden to grow vegetables in? Vegetable seedlings almost always
require weeding, at leat in the earliest stages.

* Janet

So choose ones that need little to none. Nettles, potatoes, pumpkin,
courgette etc

NT