Old 14-01-2007, 07:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default strawberry plants

My wife returned from shopping with some strawberry plants she bought from
Wilkinsons.
The packet says plant immediately!
My search on line states that plant March/April time.
I have planned a space in my veg part of the garden at home but it is not
prepared yet.
Have give it some thought and think that;

1. put in pots in the greenhouse
2. once the danger of frost has passed then transplant to the outside
location

btw there are some shoots coming from the plants already - probably where
been stored in the shops warm temp?

Would appreciate any advice to this plan of action

My two and a half year old granddaughter loves strawberries and have
promised her I'd grow some in the garden - she thinks they are "delicious"

many thanks and happy new year to everyone

Alan

Old 14-01-2007, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Alan
You have correctly answered your own question. If you keep the plants
in the grenhouse - you should get an early crop
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Old 14-01-2007, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/1/07 07:54, in article ,
"Alan McKenzie" wrote:

My wife returned from shopping with some strawberry plants she bought from
Wilkinsons.
The packet says plant immediately!
My search on line states that plant March/April time.
I have planned a space in my veg part of the garden at home but it is not
prepared yet.
Have give it some thought and think that;

1. put in pots in the greenhouse
2. once the danger of frost has passed then transplant to the outside
location

Yes and yes. And then keep the birds off the fruits! ;-))
snip
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 14-01-2007, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

beg to differ here, strawberries appreciate a good frost. I'd leave them
outside in hopes of a chill in the coming weeks and then put them in the
ghouse if you must force them, or leave them where they are.

strawberries are hungry feeders and in my experience don't do well in pots
through the season; if you can give them a space that has been well manured
they will be happy

Old 14-01-2007, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Oxymel of Squill wrote:
beg to differ here, strawberries appreciate a good frost. I'd leave them
outside in hopes of a chill in the coming weeks and then put them in the
ghouse if you must force them, or leave them where they are.

True. If the crown gets a frost they'll fruit better. If in clay pots,
beware of not cracking the pots - raise them with feets or put straight
on the earth.