Old 06-04-2004, 09:13 PM
Spenser

Default Recommended online company for strawberry/raspberry plants?

Hello,

I am looking for any recommendations for online companies in the
United States from which I can purchase strawberry and raspberry
plants. Also, are there any specific places to avoid?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Spenser
Old 06-04-2004, 09:13 PM
Katra

In article ,
Spenser wrote:

Hello,

I am looking for any recommendations for online companies in the
United States from which I can purchase strawberry and raspberry
plants. Also, are there any specific places to avoid?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Spenser

Seriously, look on ebay for strawberries. :-)
Many sellers have great deals. Here is one example:

I'm still in the market for raspberries. I got my thornless
blackberries from ebay dealers and I have beautiful, producing vines now
(they are about 3 years old but produced the first year) but I have yet
to be successful with a single raspberry vine, and I've bought from 3
different people, including Lowe's.

What is the secret to growing a raspberry vine???

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

"There are many intelligent species in the universe, and they are all owned by cats! -- Asimov

Old 06-04-2004, 09:14 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Spenser said:

Hello,

I am looking for any recommendations for online companies in the
United States from which I can purchase strawberry and raspberry
plants. Also, are there any specific places to avoid?

I got a catalog for Indiana Berry & Plant Co. (www.inberry.com) this year.
I like the catalog and the feedback at gardenwatchdog.com was
100% positive (not a huge sample, but consistant over several years).

The one deficit, in my opinion, is that they don't carry the raspberry
variety 'Polana' which is possibly the best fall-bearing variety for anyone
in Michigan (or similarly northern areas) since it is so much earlier and
more productive than the long-time standard 'Heritage.'

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 06-04-2004, 09:14 PM
Scott

I am looking for any recommendations for online companies in the
United States from which I can purchase strawberry and raspberry
plants. Also, are there any specific places to avoid?

I have always had good luck with Nourse Farms, www.noursefarms.com, whether it
be asparagus, or strawberries, we've always gotten a great product.

Scott
Zone 5
Old 06-04-2004, 09:14 PM
simy1

Spenser wrote in message . ..
Hello,

I am looking for any recommendations for online companies in the
United States from which I can purchase strawberry and raspberry
plants. Also, are there any specific places to avoid?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Spenser

Both grow like weeds if they like your place, and they need to be
thinned every now and again. So you will save time (get bigger plants)
and money (free) by getting the thinnings from a friend. Plus you will
get varieties that are sure to like your area. I got mine from
separate friends, and I am right now moving the raspberry thinnings
from a 20' row to start a 40' row. The strawberries were planted last
year, but are colonizing a whole patch. Raspberries are incredibly
tough, they will transplant bareroot in august, with only a couple
watering to help.

Old 06-04-2004, 09:14 PM
Katra

In article ,
(simy1) wrote:

Spenser wrote in message
. ..
Hello,

I am looking for any recommendations for online companies in the
United States from which I can purchase strawberry and raspberry
plants. Also, are there any specific places to avoid?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Spenser

Both grow like weeds if they like your place, and they need to be
thinned every now and again. So you will save time (get bigger plants)
and money (free) by getting the thinnings from a friend. Plus you will
get varieties that are sure to like your area. I got mine from
separate friends, and I am right now moving the raspberry thinnings
from a 20' row to start a 40' row. The strawberries were planted last
year, but are colonizing a whole patch. Raspberries are incredibly
tough, they will transplant bareroot in august, with only a couple
watering to help.

Yeesh! I've had, like, zero luck with them, (raspberries) but I have a
new place to try one again with more sun.

Any chance you could sell me a few "thinnings" for a reasonable price?

My blackberries are doing just fine!

K.

Old 06-04-2004, 09:14 PM
Dianna Visek

I ordered strawberries from Nourse Farms and was pleased.

Regards, Dianna
To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:14 PM
Dianna Visek

Old 09-04-2004, 12:03 AM
maf49

I purchased strawberry plant that come with plastic grow bags that you
hang on your fence or wherever you get lots of sunlight from Parks
seeds. Each bag holds ten plants. I hung them on my fence about two
weeks ago and they seem to be doing great, flowers are starting to
appear. It should also make harvesting them much easier than getting
on the ground and picking them.

Old 10-04-2004, 08:03 PM
Mary McHugh

Spenser wrote:
Hello,

I am looking for any recommendations for online companies in the
United States from which I can purchase strawberry and raspberry
plants. Also, are there any specific places to avoid?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Spenser

I'm late replying to this but what the heck.

I'm always very pleased with what I order from Miller Nurseries.
http://www.millernurseries.com/

I just ordered some Ozark Beauty and some Tribute strawberries.

Mary