Old 28-01-2007, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Seed compost

This month's Which magazine (which incidentally is miles better than a
year or so ago, it has definitely gone back to its roots of a gardening
version of Which)

anyway, this month's magazine says that J Arthur Bowers multi purpose
compost is the best for raising seeds. I've looked in several places and
the price seems to be a general 3.99 for 70 litres.
As I'll go through about 12 of them does anyone know where the cheapest
place to buy them might be?

The best peat free compost in their books is New Horizon multi purpose
peat free compost but it's a bit too coarse for many seeds.

They also said the J Arthur's was the best for growing on seeds and
small plants.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 28-01-2007, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 11:18:28 +0000, Janet Tweedy wrote:
This month's Which magazine (which incidentally is miles better than a
year or so ago, it has definitely gone back to its roots of a gardening
version of Which)
anyway, this month's magazine says that J Arthur Bowers multi purpose
compost is the best for raising seeds.

Perhaps J.AB has improved as well as Which then,
but some years ago when I last used it the seed compost had large
quantity of large 'pebbles' in it ,
I displayed my sample to my supplier who was surprised and gave full
refund, prior to that it had been OK, perhaps J.AB just had a bad
mishap.
I've not used it since, You may want to check it out yourself first
before ordering in quantity !!

Old 28-01-2007, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

WaltA writes
On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 11:18:28 +0000, Janet Tweedy wrote:
This month's Which magazine (which incidentally is miles better than a
year or so ago, it has definitely gone back to its roots of a gardening
version of Which)
anyway, this month's magazine says that J Arthur Bowers multi purpose
compost is the best for raising seeds.

Perhaps J.AB has improved as well as Which then,
but some years ago when I last used it the seed compost had large
quantity of large 'pebbles' in it ,
I displayed my sample to my supplier who was surprised and gave full
refund, prior to that it had been OK, perhaps J.AB just had a bad
mishap.
I've not used it since, You may want to check it out yourself first
before ordering in quantity !!

I use New Horizon (have done for several years). It's finer texture
nowadays than, say, 8 years back, nice and clean to use, and seems fine
for seeds and small plants (I start adding garden compost for larger
plants)
--
Kay
Old 28-01-2007, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
WaltA writes
[...]

I buy mine in the pound shop, and I've had no problems!

Alan

Old 28-01-2007, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet
I use New Horizon and for seeds find that it too course. I riddle it
through a sieve and then add some perlite and grit to open it up a
bit. Does fine that way. Just put the lumps on one side, en up at
the bottom of 3" pots later on
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Old 28-01-2007, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , WaltA
writes

I displayed my sample to my supplier who was surprised and gave full
refund, prior to that it had been OK, perhaps J.AB just had a bad
mishap.
I've not used it since, You may want to check it out yourself first
before ordering in quantity !!

Good tip WaltA thanks, I'll do that.

Janet
Old 28-01-2007, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , K
writes

I use New Horizon (have done for several years). It's finer texture
nowadays than, say, 8 years back, nice and clean to use, and seems fine
for seeds and small plants (I start adding garden compost for larger
plants)

They said new horizon was good but they couldn't use it for small seeds.

janet
Old 28-01-2007, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article . com,
cliff_the_gardener writes
Janet
I use New Horizon and for seeds find that it too course. I riddle it
through a sieve and then add some perlite and grit to open it up a
bit. Does fine that way. Just put the lumps on one side, en up at
the bottom of 3" pots later on
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

That sounds a great way of getting round the coarser stuff though I
think it might still be too open for some of the finer seeds.

Thanks Clifford.
Old 29-01-2007, 03:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
This month's Which magazine (which incidentally is miles better than a
year or so ago, it has definitely gone back to its roots of a gardening
version of Which)

anyway, this month's magazine says that J Arthur Bowers multi purpose
compost is the best for raising seeds. I've looked in several places and
the price seems to be a general 3.99 for 70 litres.

that is an excellent price for seed raising mix. It equates to $12 here for
70 L. 40-45 L lays me back around $20 from memory so at our prices you would
be paying about 10-11 pounds.

rob

Old 29-01-2007, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , K
writes

I use New Horizon (have done for several years). It's finer texture
nowadays than, say, 8 years back, nice and clean to use, and seems fine
for seeds and small plants (I start adding garden compost for larger
plants)

They said new horizon was good but they couldn't use it for small seeds.

janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

It is good and we use it but not everything likes it and you have to
supplementary feed for some plants or even mix in different compost on
occasions.
I always use a soil based seed compost, personal preference no real reason!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 30-01-2007, 02:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 21:56:37 +0000, Janet & I wrote:
I displayed my sample to my supplier who was surprised and gave full
refund, prior to that it had been OK, perhaps J.AB just had a bad
mishap.
I've not used it since, You may want to check it out yourself first
before ordering in quantity !!

Good tip WaltA thanks, I'll do that.

There is another possibility
DIY, as I have been doing these past few years !
The John Innes formulations for seed and potting composts have long
been in the public domain.
(mine is in a a book, but give me a mo. I'll find it on the web
somewhere I'm sure !! )

Hmmm, you want 12 bags though ,, not sure about that, have you got
some energetic helpers ? and a steam sterilizer ?
(I use a spare microwave for my modest requirements these days, even
so, - small lots frequently - soon gets a lot done ! )

Old 30-01-2007, 03:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I wrote:
The John Innes formulations for seed and potting composts have long
been in the public domain.

Hmmm, maybe not !

(mine is in a a book, but give me a mo. I'll find it on the web
somewhere I'm sure !! )

a brief google, I was sure, would lead me to the John Innes Institute
where all would be revealed ! Sadly no
So perhaps I've been under a delusion these past few decades

If you need to follow the DIY route then we could exchange emails and
I'll send you the info that I have in my library !

Old 30-01-2007, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , WaltA
writes

Hmmm, you want 12 bags though ,, not sure about that, have you got
some energetic helpers ? and a steam sterilizer ?
(I use a spare microwave for my modest requirements these days, even
so, - small lots frequently - soon gets a lot done ! )

Not sure even my microwave can get through 12 bags
I have often thought of mixing my own compost but never actually got
round to amassing the right ingredients. Usually I get seeds then dash
out into the garden to find some compost to sow them. The only thing I
try to do is use really clean pots or trays and use clay pots for seeds
that take a long time to germinate.

I did think of doing what was often done in propagation which is to sow
into a surface layer of seed compost but have a 'stronger' mix for the
bottom layer so if the seed don't get potted up quickly enough they will
have some food to get on with.

Would that work at all? Does any one know?

janet
Old 30-01-2007, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Janet Tweedy writes
In article , WaltA
writes

Hmmm, you want 12 bags though ,, not sure about that, have you got
some energetic helpers ? and a steam sterilizer ?
(I use a spare microwave for my modest requirements these days, even
so, - small lots frequently - soon gets a lot done ! )

Not sure even my microwave can get through 12 bags
I have often thought of mixing my own compost but never actually got
round to amassing the right ingredients. Usually I get seeds then dash
out into the garden to find some compost to sow them. The only thing I
try to do is use really clean pots or trays and use clay pots for seeds
that take a long time to germinate.

Why clay pots?

I usually put long term seeds into plastic trays inside a sealed plastic
bag, because otherwise I always forget to water them. That's what I'd be
afraid of using clay pots.

I did think of doing what was often done in propagation which is to sow
into a surface layer of seed compost but have a 'stronger' mix for the
bottom layer so if the seed don't get potted up quickly enough they
will have some food to get on with.

Would that work at all? Does any one know?

Wouldn't the higher nutrient of the stronger stuff in the base simply
leach upwards? Would it be a problem if it did?

How deep is your pot or seed tray for this? Even an apparently tiny
plants can have an extensive root run, which in a seed tray just goes
sideways and gets tangled in all the other seedlings (speaking as
someone who doesn't always pot on as quickly as I should)
--
Kay
Old 30-01-2007, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , WaltA
writes

a brief google, I was sure, would lead me to the John Innes Institute
where all would be revealed ! Sadly no
So perhaps I've been under a delusion these past few decades

If you need to follow the DIY route then we could exchange emails and
I'll send you the info that I have in my library !

I have it in my The New Small Garden by Lucas-Phillips circa 1979!
Seed compost
2 parts by bulk sterilised loam
1 part by bulk peat (moss or sedge)
1 part by bulk sharp lime free sand

To these are added, per bushel, 1 1/2 oz superphosphate of lime and 3/4
oz ground chalk or limestone

Cuttings compost is
7 parts by bulk medium loam
3 part by bulk moss peat
2 part by bulk coarse silver sand
To these is added a special fertiliser compounded of 2 parts by weight
of hoof-and-horn meal, 2 parts superphosphate of lime, and 1 part
sulphate of potash. For pots up to 4 1/2 in size, 4 oz of this
fertiliser is added per bushel of compost; for pots from 4 1/2 to 8in,
8oz; over 8in., 12oz

Janet