Old 31-01-2007, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Will severed cactus 'arm' grow?

I've got a lovely, large old cactus that got a little bit damaged when I
recently moved house. One of its many 'arms' (wonder what they are
called? It really does look like it's spreading its arms out to take a
bow) got damaged near the 'trunk' of the plant and I had to cut it off.
I trimmed it down a bit and put it in a little bit of water and I was
wondering if it would continue to grow, if I should put it in cactus
compost or something. Any ideas?
Old 31-01-2007, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Jane writes
I've got a lovely, large old cactus that got a little bit damaged when
I recently moved house. One of its many 'arms' (wonder what they are
called? It really does look like it's spreading its arms out to take a
bow) got damaged near the 'trunk' of the plant and I had to cut it off.
I trimmed it down a bit and put it in a little bit of water and I was
wondering if it would continue to grow, if I should put it in cactus
compost or something. Any ideas?

Take it out of the water!

Leave it around for a few weeks to let the cut end callous over. Then
prop it up on some free draining compost and you have a fair chance of
it rooting. That is, if it is a cactus and not one of the succulent
plants that sometimes are loosely referred to as cacti.
--
Kay
Old 01-02-2007, 06:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jane" wrote in message

I've got a lovely, large old cactus that got a little bit damaged

when I
recently moved house. One of its many 'arms' (wonder what they are
called? It really does look like it's spreading its arms out to take

bow) got damaged near the 'trunk' of the plant and I had to cut it

off.
I trimmed it down a bit and put it in a little bit of water and I

was
wondering if it would continue to grow, if I should put it in cactus
compost or something. Any ideas?

Take it out of the water, put it somewhere where the wound can dry out
and heal over a few days.
When the wound is dry, then put it into some sandy potting mix water
and wait - keep it dryish rather than wettish.

Old 01-02-2007, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 31, 7:16 pm, Jane wrote:
I've got a lovely, large old cactus that got a little bit damaged when I
recently moved house. One of its many 'arms' (wonder what they are
called? It really does look like it's spreading its arms out to take a
bow) got damaged near the 'trunk' of the plant and I had to cut it off.
I trimmed it down a bit and put it in a little bit of water and I was
wondering if it would continue to grow, if I should put it in cactus
compost or something. Any ideas?

First off take it out of the water! And check for signs of rot. If
necessary trim it again.
Cacti & succulents can stand any amount of drought, but they quickly
die from rot with wet feet.

Leave it somewhere cool and frost free for a few days for the wound to
heal and callous hard over. Then prop it up on a pot of moist gritty
compost with a thin layer of grit on the top. Roots will form after a
few weeks - keep the soil damp and don't subject it to long periods of
strong sunlight until it has rooted down. A few species may root
better if just laid on the surface.

A tennis ball sized plant can last a whole season dry without roots if
needs be (but if rot sets in it will die in days).

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 02-02-2007, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin Brown wrote:

Thanks to Martin and to Farm 1. I have now rescued it from the water
(poor thing!) and will let it dry before planting it as you both
described. No sign of rot. I will pop it in the shed by the window.