Old 31-01-2007, 11:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mantis tiller

Have any ladies tried a Mantis tiller?
My allotment friend is thinking of getting one.
Our soil is clay, stony stuff, at present very sticky, bakes hard in
summer, hard to dig at the best of times.
Would a Mantis be any good?
They do offer money back after 100 days which sounds good.
Any thoughts please?

Pam in Bristol
Old 01-02-2007, 12:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
Have any ladies tried a Mantis tiller?
My allotment friend is thinking of getting one.
Our soil is clay, stony stuff, at present very sticky, bakes hard in
summer, hard to dig at the best of times.
Would a Mantis be any good?
They do offer money back after 100 days which sounds good.
Any thoughts please?

Pam in Bristol

Pam.,

Maybe best if you search www.google.com and also its groups using
'mantis tiller' as your search words. There is lots of information on
the subject in there. Far too much for me to convey to you. It may be
too light for what you have in mind, but I wish you luck.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 01-02-2007, 06:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
Have any ladies tried a Mantis tiller?
My allotment friend is thinking of getting one.
Our soil is clay, stony stuff, at present very sticky, bakes hard in
summer, hard to dig at the best of times.
Would a Mantis be any good?
They do offer money back after 100 days which sounds good.
Any thoughts please?

Pam in Bristol

yes, too light for that sort of work.....sounds like you need mid range B&S
motor model.

also why will they not give the money back before the 100 days??

dj

Old 01-02-2007, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 00:12:37 -0000, "Emrys Davies"
wrote:

Maybe best if you search www.google.com and also its groups using
'mantis tiller' as your search words. There is lots of information on
the subject in there. Far too much for me to convey to you. It may be
too light for what you have in mind, but I wish you luck.

Thanks Emrys
I have already read a lot of the advertising material on Google, and
my friend has spoken on the phone to the company.
What I was hoping for was some personal experience.
YOu say it may be too light. I was wondering if it would be too
difficult for 2 pensioner ladies to control.

Pam in Bristol
Old 01-02-2007, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Maybe best if you search www.google.com and also its groups using
'mantis tiller' as your search words. There is lots of information

on
the subject in there. Far too much for me to convey to you. It may

be
too light for what you have in mind, but I wish you luck.

Thanks Emrys
I have already read a lot of the advertising material on Google, and
my friend has spoken on the phone to the company.
What I was hoping for was some personal experience.
YOu say it may be too light. I was wondering if it would be too
difficult for 2 pensioner ladies to control.

Pam in Bristol

Pam.,

When I say it may be too light I mean that it is probably not robust
enough to till the type of soil which you have described. I sense from
what you said that you will need something more robost as in your garden
the Mantis Tiller may jump around a lot as is comes into contact with
the untilled soil. I think that you could probably handle it but the
main question is whether or not it would be effective in your land.

If you were talking about a well tilled allotment/garden I would say go
ahead, but I have fairly strong doubts as to the suitability of this
tiller in your particular soil conditions.

You may get some useful information on the subject from your local
Gardening Association. This one, Horfield and District Allotments
Association Ltd. @ would, I am sure, advise you as
to the suitability of this tiller in your particular case.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 01-02-2007, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

to the suitability of this tiller in your particular case. You may, of
course, finish up renting an allotment!!!

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 02-02-2007, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 15:26:25 -0000, "Emrys Davies"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that helpful advice Emrys. I think you are probably right.
Nobody on our allotments has a Mantis. We were hoping to persuade the
association to buy a cultivator, but we were out-voted!
When you say Horfield, do you mean Horfield Bristol?
If so we are on quite similar soil!

Pam in Bristol
Old 02-02-2007, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mel Mel is offline

"Pam Moore"
YOu say it may be too light. I was wondering if it would be too
difficult for 2 pensioner ladies to control.

I hired a lightweight tiller last year from HSS Hire
http://www.hss.com/c/1014440/Garden_Clearance.html for my heavy clay
allotment. It did a pretty good job and was reasonably easy to control (I'm
female age 50 and incredibly unfit!). It was fairly inexpensive at about
£25 for the weekend. HSS also have heavyweight cultivators and power
diggers. I figured if I needed to rent once or twice per year it's still
cheaper than buying one at £300-£400.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 15:26:25 -0000, "Emrys Davies"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Yes Pam. it is Horfield in Bristol.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Mantis Tiller ruth todd Gardening 12 08-02-2004 06:22 PM
Mantis tiller Bruce Yates Edible Gardening 31 24-05-2003 03:56 PM
I chose Mantis tiller--here's why Siouxzi North Carolina 1 22-04-2003 11:08 PM
Mantis tiller experience? Ed United Kingdom 2 09-02-2003 11:13 PM
Mantis tiller/cultivator Doreen Taylor United Kingdom 3 30-01-2003 07:36 PM