Old 04-02-2007, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mel Mel is offline

Default Cleaning Blue Barrels

I've just liberated a blue barrel from a skip, so I don't know what the
barrel contained. I want to use the barrel either for water storage or
growing strawberries. Does anyone know what's good to use to de-contaminate
the inside of the barrel? Bleach? Armillatox? Jeyes? Fairy Liquid?

Thanks.

Old 04-02-2007, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Mel
writes
I've just liberated a blue barrel from a skip, so I don't know what the
barrel contained. I want to use the barrel either for water storage or
growing strawberries. Does anyone know what's good to use to de-contaminate
the inside of the barrel? Bleach? Armillatox? Jeyes? Fairy Liquid?

I generally use Jeyes. Takes a while for the smell to wear off but
works. You can get Jeyes especially for use in the garden now but I have
never tried that.
--
June Hughes
Old 04-02-2007, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

June Hughes wrote:
In message , Mel
writes
I've just liberated a blue barrel from a skip, so I don't know what
the barrel contained. I want to use the barrel either for water
storage or growing strawberries. Does anyone know what's good to
use to de-contaminate the inside of the barrel? Bleach? Armillatox?
Jeyes? Fairy Liquid?

I generally use Jeyes. Takes a while for the smell to wear off but
works. You can get Jeyes especially for use in the garden now but I
have never tried that.

Normal saying is "The answer to pollution is dilution!" Can you smell
anything in there? Your nose is about the best detector for contaniments. I
had one that contained glue and I just peeled off the set glue... others
had oil based stuff that needed a detergent. Any acid, alkali or salt will
respond to repeated rinsing in plain water. As will most non oil based
toxins.

Is anything written on the barrel?

Les

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

"Oh Bother!" said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh!"

"That's 10 times I've explained binary to you. I won't tell you a 3rd
time!"

http://armsofmorpheus.blogspot.com/

http://www.richarddawkins.net/index.php

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

Old 04-02-2007, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4 Feb, 12:19, "Mel" wrote:
I've just liberated a blue barrel from a skip, so I don't know what the
barrel contained. I want to use the barrel either for water storage or
growing strawberries. Does anyone know what's good to use to de-contaminate
the inside of the barrel? Bleach? Armillatox? Jeyes? Fairy Liquid?

I've seen this blue barrel today (not the same one obviously)
containing olives at an organic food shop. As Les said use your nose
to find what was in there and use Jeyes if really you are worried (I'd
use washing up liquid if it's for strawbs). I've been given dark green
ones from a jam factory. Just to reassure you a bit )

If you fancy a new one, there's this site I've found once for a poster
here. The barrels are quite cheap indeed.

http://www.smithsofthedean.co.uk/New%20Barrels.htm

Old 04-02-2007, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Les Hemmings" wrote in message

snip
Your nose is about the best detector for contaniments. I had one that
contained glue and I just peeled off the set glue... Les

You need lesson in the "Art of Glue sniffing." :-)

Old 04-02-2007, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"Les Hemmings" wrote in message

snip
Your nose is about the best detector for contaniments. I had one that
contained glue and I just peeled off the set glue... Les

You need lesson in the "Art of Glue sniffing." :-)

Many years before glue sniffing became a passtime for the dissaffected
"Yoof" we were sat in 1st year woodwork aged about 11. Woodwork teachers
explicit instructions were "Don't sniff the sanding sealer! You''ll get as
high as a kite!"

Needless to say many rags soaked in the aforementioned liquid ended up in
the playground next break. We really wouldn't have thought of it if he
hadn't mentioned it....

Mr. Holly, very strange man. Caned kids for leaving the set square at the
wrong angle in the draw or other tiny little infractions of his regime. Must
have been about 1974.... still can't help thinking the schools started
their decline when caning was stopped. Even though it was often me on the
wrong end of the size 10 trainer in games etc.

Les