Old 17-04-2003, 08:20 PM
Mr G

Default Bumpy Lawn

I had a lawn laid about a year a go and it is very bumpy. I rolled it
several times after laying but this had little effect. I know I should be
calling back the idiot who laid in the first place but is there something I
could try myself? Previously I hired a roller that I filled with water but
this did not seem very heavy. Are heavier, larger rollers available and
would they be any use to me?

TIA

Old 17-04-2003, 09:32 PM
AWM

"Mr G" wrote in message
. ..
I had a lawn laid about a year a go and it is very bumpy. I rolled it
several times after laying but this had little effect. I know I should be
calling back the idiot who laid in the first place but is there something

could try myself? Previously I hired a roller that I filled with water but
this did not seem very heavy. Are heavier, larger rollers available and
would they be any use to me?

TIA

Rather than lower the high sots rause the low areas
(1) Cut grass
(2) Mix washed sharp sand horticultural grit with a little lawn seed.
(3) Use sand mixture to fill in low spots -- not too much at a time
leveling spreading with plank of wood..
(4) Gently water
(5) Wait a few days to a couple of weeks

It takes a few applications -- but it works.

Old 17-04-2003, 09:56 PM
ned

Mr G wrote:
I had a lawn laid about a year a go and it is very bumpy. I rolled
it several times after laying but this had little effect. I know I
should be calling back the idiot who laid in the first place but is
there something I could try myself? Previously I hired a roller
that I filled with water but this did not seem very heavy. Are
heavier, larger rollers available and would they be any use to me?

'Don't think rolling is the answer. I know they roll cricket pitches
but they end up bone hard and bare and need constant watering.
If the humps are discretely obvious and few in number, I would slice
round three parts of the hump, take out some soil and redistribute
that in the next hollow. Otherwise I would suggest a generalised top
dressing of the hollows with top soil - a little at a time so as not
to create big bare patches.
It will take a surprising amount of top dressing to level a lawn but
short of taking it all up and starting from scratch and doing it right
next time, I don't think there is an easy answer.

--
ned

Old 18-04-2003, 08:20 AM
pied piper

"Mr G" wrote in message
. ..
I had a lawn laid about a year a go and it is very bumpy. I rolled it
several times after laying but this had little effect. I know I should be
calling back the idiot who laid in the first place but is there something

could try myself? Previously I hired a roller that I filled with water but
this did not seem very heavy. Are heavier, larger rollers available and
would they be any use to me?

TIA

roller will not make it flatter try setting your mower low and scalp the
bumps also water then scarify the high areas taking the surface off then
spike and re sow some seed
or the other option top dress your lawn using 70/30 mix sand/loam and use a
lute to level off

Old 19-04-2003, 07:32 AM
pied piper

"Mr G" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks for the reply (and the others). What is a loam?

loam is soil

Bumpy Lawn S.D. Gardening 4 02-06-2005 01:24 AM
Leveling a bumpy yard/lawn in DFW, Texas PK Lawns 10 14-10-2004 02:39 AM
How to smooth a bumpy lawn? Owen Lowe Lawns 8 13-06-2003 01:08 PM
Bumpy lawn+lots of moss!! john fraser United Kingdom 5 24-03-2003 04:32 PM
Bumpy lawn Bazza United Kingdom 2 22-03-2003 11:44 AM