Old 07-02-2007, 08:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What Insect Caused These Bites?

Hi all

As the subject, I have numerous bites to ankles and lower legs.
Start off itchy and irritating, but when you scratch the itch it turns into
a larger red lump thats more itchy and sore and bleeds!
Haven't spent much time in the garden so the blighters may not actually
originate from there.
Don't have pets and haven't consorted with any likely suspects recently.

Anyone any ideas.
Location is West Hull east yorkshire.

TIA

Phil

Old 07-02-2007, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ,
TheScullster writes
Hi all

As the subject, I have numerous bites to ankles and lower legs.
Start off itchy and irritating, but when you scratch the itch it turns into
a larger red lump thats more itchy and sore and bleeds!
Haven't spent much time in the garden so the blighters may not actually
originate from there.
Don't have pets and haven't consorted with any likely suspects recently.

Anyone any ideas.
Location is West Hull east yorkshire.

Sounds like mosquitos. Do you have any standing water in the garden?
That is where they lay their eggs, which hatch out into nymphs and the
hey presto, lots of mozzies.
--
June Hughes
Old 07-02-2007, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi all

As the subject, I have numerous bites to ankles and lower legs.
Start off itchy and irritating, but when you scratch the itch it turns

into
a larger red lump thats more itchy and sore and bleeds!
Haven't spent much time in the garden so the blighters may not actually
originate from there.
Don't have pets and haven't consorted with any likely suspects recently.

Anyone any ideas.
Location is West Hull east yorkshire.

TIA

Phil

You may not have pets but they still sound a lot like cat flea bites, they
are not usually interested in most people but will target others and of
course are far more likely to be a problem if there is no cat to feed off!
the egg stage is able to last a long time dormant in a house so its possible
it was some predecessors cat.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 07-02-2007, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi all

As the subject, I have numerous bites to ankles and lower legs.
Start off itchy and irritating, but when you scratch the itch it turns
into a larger red lump thats more itchy and sore and bleeds!
Haven't spent much time in the garden so the blighters may not actually
originate from there.
Don't have pets and haven't consorted with any likely suspects recently.

Anyone any ideas.
Location is West Hull east yorkshire.
TIA
Phil

Sounds like flea bites. Maybe you were near a dog in a public place ?
Jenny

Old 07-02-2007, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote

Sounds like flea bites. Maybe you were near a dog in a public place ?
Jenny

You might have hit the nail on the head there, Jenny.
Snooker club has alsation watch dog!

So what's the remedy then, any ideas?
Please don't suggest I give up my only recreation.

Phil

Old 07-02-2007, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 08:59:51 +0000, June Hughes wrote:

Location is West Hull east yorkshire.

Sounds like mosquitos.

To cold for mozzies ATM. I'd go with the cat flea theory. Has the OP been
anywhere that might have had a feline inhabitant. The feline doesn't have
to be there and good have left a considerable time ago, the eggs will
remain for a long time and hatch when a place is warmed up. They prefer a
feline host but when hungry anything will do.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 07-02-2007, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 7, 8:59 am, June Hughes wrote:
In message ,
TheScullster writesHi all

As the subject, I have numerous bites to ankles and lower legs.
Start off itchy and irritating, but when you scratch the itch it turns into
a larger red lump thats more itchy and sore and bleeds!
Haven't spent much time in the garden so the blighters may not actually
originate from there.
Don't have pets and haven't consorted with any likely suspects recently.

Anyone any ideas.
Location is West Hull east yorkshire.

Sounds like mosquitos. Do you have any standing water in the garden?
That is where they lay their eggs, which hatch out into nymphs and the
hey presto, lots of mozzies.
--
June Hughes

I have had mosquito bites on legs and ankles from living near
Cambridge
but only in July/August. February is way too cold thankfully. There
is one species (with striped legs; I kid ye not) that makes very itchy
bites that blister but not bleed.
Des

Old 07-02-2007, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message om, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 08:59:51 +0000, June Hughes wrote:

Location is West Hull east yorkshire.

Sounds like mosquitos.

To cold for mozzies ATM. I'd go with the cat flea theory. Has the OP been
anywhere that might have had a feline inhabitant. The feline doesn't have
to be there and good have left a considerable time ago, the eggs will
remain for a long time and hatch when a place is warmed up. They prefer a
feline host but when hungry anything will do.

Yes, I expect you are right. Flea bites don't normally swell up to
enormous sizes though.
--
June Hughes
Old 07-02-2007, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7 Feb, 10:44, June Hughes wrote:
Yes, I expect you are right. Flea bites don't normally swell up to
enormous sizes though.

Depends how hungry they are - different people also get different
reaction. And easy on the treatment - I'm sensitive ;o)

La Puce

Old 07-02-2007, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"TheScullster" wrote in message

"JennyC" wrote

Sounds like flea bites. Maybe you were near a dog in a public place ?
Jenny

You might have hit the nail on the head there, Jenny.
Snooker club has alsation watch dog!

So what's the remedy then, any ideas?
Please don't suggest I give up my only recreation.
Phil

LOL !!
Ask the owner of the dog maybe to check the animal?
You can run a flea comb over it and see what you find :~)
Jenny

Old 07-02-2007, 04:38 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScullster View Post
Hi all

As the subject, I have numerous bites to ankles and lower legs.
Start off itchy and irritating, but when you scratch the itch it turns into
a larger red lump thats more itchy and sore and bleeds!
Haven't spent much time in the garden so the blighters may not actually
originate from there.
Don't have pets and haven't consorted with any likely suspects recently.
If they are flea bites, then there is a risk that the fleas have moved into your socks, and from there to other items of clothing or even your bed-linen. They are especially fond of woolly/knitted type fabrcs. Ideally you want to wash the items and then hang them out in warm bright sunshine, but in the absence of that tumble-drying may do the trick.

I twice caught cat-fleas while travelling in Chile. The first time I put on clean clothes, washed everything else and/or hung it out in the sun, and that did for them. The second time they must have got well into my sleeping-bag as that didn't work and I started getting bites on other parts of my body. I ended up spraying everything with flea-killer, then washing everything again, and that finally got rid of them.

We have had a few insect bites at home a couple of weeks ago, (not flea-bites) and I was seeing clouds of insects out in the garden. There is something nasty in my garden that is bites me in early spring. Hopefully the recent weather will have corrected that.