Old 07-02-2007, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What Insect Caused These Bites?

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 16:42:32 -0000, "BAC"
wrote:
You might have hit the nail on the head there, Jenny.
Snooker club has alsation watch dog!

So what's the remedy then, any ideas?

Bicycle clips.

and shoot the dog.
--

Martin

Something you do NOT do is shoot the German Shepherd dog.

More faithful and rewarding than MOST of the human being specie

I can think of many humans who should be shot.

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 07-02-2007, 11:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"TheScullster" wrote in message
"JennyC" wrote

Sounds like flea bites. Maybe you were near a dog in a public

place ?
Jenny

You might have hit the nail on the head there, Jenny.
Snooker club has alsation watch dog!

The flea bites I've had have always been very distinctive. They are
about a quarter of an inch across with a brighter red dot in the
middle and always flat - not raised at all. You could perhaps have a
reaction to the bites and thus causing the lump or your scratching
could be causing the raised welt and the bleeding. My scratching of
flea bites has never caused my bites to do this but it could be so in
your case.

The description of the bites being on your ankles and lower legs could
fit both fleas and anything else from either the garden or anywhere
where you walk regularly (or even only the fact that this may be the
only bit of exposed flesh that a bitey can find to bite???)

So what's the remedy then, any ideas?
Please don't suggest I give up my only recreation.

The first thing to do would surely be to find out if any of the other
snooker players have the same problem. If the snooker club is the
source of the problem, you won't be the only one being bitten. If
others at the club aren't being bitten then look for another place of
origin.

If it is the snooker club then the problem is easy - treat the dog
regularly and set off a series of flea bomb treatments over a period
of time to kill the live fleas and then the larvae and later ones
emerging from eggs (they live in carpet and crack in flooring)

Old 08-02-2007, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks to all respondents thus far!

Is it likely that I will now suffer an infestation in my house and further
bites, or is it likely that the loss of appropriate host (ie dog) means that
this will be an isolated case?

Phil

Old 08-02-2007, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 09:58:34 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"

wrote:

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 08:59:51 +0000, June Hughes wrote:

Location is West Hull east yorkshire.

Sounds like mosquitos.

To cold for mozzies ATM.

Not completely. As the local authority head biologist in Leiden found,
mosquitoes can breed in your home. In his case they bred in water in a plant
pot.
--

Martin

I occasionally get what I take to be mosquito at all time of the year,
certainly in winter though perhaps not when it's quite as cold as this.
I have often had them when I've only been in the house and I've
definitely seen the occasional mosquito indoors. It comes from living in
the Fens perhaps. They're quite likely to bite ankles too. From what I
remember mosquito bites tend to be whitish where they're hard and
raised, and red in the surrounding sore area.

Janet G
Old 09-02-2007, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"TheScullster" wrote in message

Thanks to all respondents thus far!

Is it likely that I will now suffer an infestation in my house and

further
bites, or is it likely that the loss of appropriate host (ie dog)

means that
this will be an isolated case?

It may be likely that you brought a flea or two home from the Snooker
club in your clothes, but then thay would ahve to find each other and
breed and then find you etc. Just be vigilant with the housework as
fleas breed in dirt and dust (the invisble stuff in the carpet) in a
warn environment. If you see any signs buy some flea bombs at a
supermarket/pet shop and set them off just as you leave the house for
a few hours.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 02:44:36 GMT, Anne Jackson
wrote:

The message from "TheScullster" contains these
words:
"JennyC" wrote

Sounds like flea bites. Maybe you were near a dog in a public place ?
Jenny
You might have hit the nail on the head there, Jenny.
Snooker club has alsation watch dog!

So what's the remedy then, any ideas?
Please don't suggest I give up my only recreation.

Tea Tree oil.

Wash your hands before scratching.

So, you are in bed, halfway though the night, you have to get up to wash
your hands before scratching, then you get anothe itch half an hour later!

Alan

--

Martin