Old 27-02-2007, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default And....

"Sacha" wrote
......who did what today in their garden? Nobody here I can tell you. We
have had high winds and rain, then everything went a bit sunny and then it
all started again in a minor key. No gardening but some satisfactory time
at a potting bench for me and away from the desk!

I picked some sprouts and got depressed about the waterlogged ground that
needs cultivating before it is planted but I dare not get on it until it's
dried out somewhat. Oh for some sunshine and a dry wind.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 28-02-2007, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/2/07 09:14, in article , "Cerumen"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 27/2/07 22:51, in article , "Bob
Hobden" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote
......who did what today in their garden? Nobody here I can tell you.
We
have had high winds and rain, then everything went a bit sunny and then
it
all started again in a minor key. No gardening but some satisfactory
time
at a potting bench for me and away from the desk!

I picked some sprouts and got depressed about the waterlogged ground that
needs cultivating before it is planted but I dare not get on it until
it's
dried out somewhat. Oh for some sunshine and a dry wind.

Amen. We had that yesterday, sun and a breeze but then it was back to
square one. This is a really horrible night. The rain is lashing down
with
the wind behind it. I had hoped we'd seen the last of the gales but ever
the optimist, I was bound to be disappointed. It is truly vile weather
here.

And even worse here than it was yesterday but it is at least mild, about 12
C right now but certainly not outdoor weather if another option is
available.

We've got gales again and sudden heavy downpours of rain. Sigh.....
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 28-02-2007, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote after "Cerumen"wrote after
"Sacha" wrote in reply to "Bob
Hobden" who wrote after:
[...]

High winds and sudden heavy downpours today, just back from shopping in
Windsor, R.Thames looks dangerously high across Runnymede meadow.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 01-03-2007, 08:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Bob Hobden wrote:

High winds and sudden heavy downpours today, just back from shopping in
Windsor, R.Thames looks dangerously high across Runnymede meadow.

We got much the same here for most of the day after a fine sunny
start, but I prefer it warmer, wet and windy to dry and cold - it
keeps my stuff in the garden much happier. I've just worked out the
averages here for the 3 months of 'winter' (Dec. Jan & Feb) and it
comes as no surprise that temperatures were higher. However, the
amount by which they increased compared to last year was a bit of an
eye-opener:

Average max Dec - Feb 2006/07 : 11.3C
Average min Dec - Feb 2006/07 : 7.6C

Nights when temps fell below 0C : 0
Days when temps failed to exceed 5C : 0

Average max Dec - Feb 2005/06 : 8.7C (about 1C.lower than the average
in previous 5 years)
Average min Dec - Feb 2005/06 : 4.9C (about 0.7C lower than the
average in previous 5 years)

Nights when temps fell below 0C : 5
Days when temps failed to exceed 5C : 8

This winter has allowed near continuous growth on many plants that
normally shut down as temperatures fall and has even enabled limequats
(lime x kumquat) to continue ripening. A few surprises for me were
Bauhinia yunnanense - still in almost full leaf, Ipomoea indica -
holding about 20% of its foliage and already starting to shoot,
Begonia luxurians - not only continued growth, but carried on
flowering throughout, even if the rain did spoil them. The latter is
now well over 7 feet tall and will have to be pruned back by half
within the next few weeks. Roll on summer!