Old 28-02-2007, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Seed germination

Hi

I planted some seeds last Sunday and placed the trays on my a heated mat
(about 20 degrees)

To my amazement the morning glories and the mina lobata had already sprouted
yesterday!!

Probably far to early, but they sure have a head start if they survive!

Roll on spring :~)

--
Jenny (the Netherlands)
remove squirrel to reply

Old 28-02-2007, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message
Hi

I planted some seeds last Sunday and placed the trays on my a heated mat
(about 20 degrees)

To my amazement the morning glories and the mina lobata had already
sprouted yesterday!!

Probably far to early, but they sure have a head start if they survive!

Roll on spring :~)

--
Jenny (the Netherlands)
remove squirrel to reply

I re-seeded part of my lawn last spring & "just to see" I put 40 or so grass
seeds in a heated propitiator. 48 hours later, the little green shoots were
an inch high!

Old 28-02-2007, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28 Feb, 13:25, "Beer Rock" wrote:
"JennyC" wrote in message
I planted some seeds last Sunday and placed the trays on my a heated mat
(about 20 degrees)
To my amazement the morning glories and the mina lobata had already
sprouted yesterday!!
Probably far to early, but they sure have a head start if they survive!
Roll on spring :~)

I re-seeded part of my lawn last spring & "just to see" I put 40 or so grass
seeds in a heated propitiator. 48 hours later, the little green shoots were
an inch high!

I have never used a heated propitiatagator .. you had me going
there ;o)

I'd be horrified to see everything sprouting too soon. I like to keep
them in full light, covered and cool. I find the seedlings are much
stronger, slower to sprouts, but more sturdy. I've done some leeks and
sweet peas but will wait for the rest now (I was impatient and needed
to *do* something).

Also our new moon is for the 18th March next, so that's a good time to
wait till sowing, then you have the 2nd April or 3rd May for the new
moon to transplant and 17th April to sow outdoor straight (potatoes,
peas, beans etc.). I'm organised as you can see ))

Old 28-02-2007, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

JennyC wrote:

I planted some seeds last Sunday and placed the trays on my a heated mat
(about 20 degrees)
To my amazement the morning glories and the mina lobata had already sprouted
yesterday!!
Probably far to early, but they sure have a head start if they survive!

The Mina (now lumped back in with Ipomoea by some) is relatively cool
tolerant so a bright cool spot will be fine as long as the seedlings
are not kept too wet. Unfortunately your 'Morning Glories' are far
less forgiving and will show their discomfort by growing very slowly
and producing white or white blotched leaves. They will need lots of
light, but should be kept no lower 12 - 15C. Watch out for red
spider, it can devastate young plants in no time.

Roll on spring :~)

It's already arrived in my neck of the woods Jen.