Old 05-03-2007, 08:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
PA PA is offline

Default What is this? Weed/plant??

I am starting a new part of the garden and try to get rid of the weeds. It
was when I noticed this strange plant/weed? I do not have a clue of what it
is and how it giot there (if it is not a weed).

The picture is he
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...N0016Small.jpg

thanks

Old 05-03-2007, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"PA" alves###paulo@gmail#com wrote in message
I am starting a new part of the garden and try to get rid of the weeds. It
was when I noticed this strange plant/weed? I do not have a clue of what
it
is and how it giot there (if it is not a weed).

The picture is he
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...N0016Small.jpg

thanks

HA! It's what brought me back to URG some time ago :-)

It's caper spurge, a very handsome plant I think and easy to pull up but I
wouldn't want a lot in my small garden. Someone warned not to eat the seeds,
they're not capers and can be dangerous. Also, the sap can affect some
people quite badly.

I feel very pleased to know about this - all thanks to others here :-)

Mary

Old 05-03-2007, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"PA" alves###paulo@gmail#com wrote in message
.. .
I am starting a new part of the garden and try to get rid of the weeds. It
was when I noticed this strange plant/weed? I do not have a clue of what
it
is and how it giot there (if it is not a weed).

The picture is he
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...N0016Small.jpg

thanks

HA! It's what brought me back to URG some time ago :-)

It's caper spurge, a very handsome plant I think and easy to pull up but I
wouldn't want a lot in my small garden. Someone warned not to eat the seeds,
they're not capers and can be dangerous. Also, the sap can affect some
people quite badly.

I feel very pleased to know about this - all thanks to others here :-)

Mary

They're supposed to be good against moles. I don't know whether this has
been proven, but ever since the spurge turned up in our garden the moles
have disappeared :-)

Old 05-03-2007, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5 Mar, 10:51, Klara wrote:

They're supposed to be good against moles. I don't know whether this has
been proven, but ever since the spurge turned up in our garden the moles
have disappeared :-)

True. It's also called 'Mole Plant' or 'Mole weed' (euphorbia family).
In France we call it 'Herbe a taupe' (or Epurge). I suspect because
the sap is very toxic and an irritant, the moles keep away from them.
I've heard cows milk had turned toxic with it because they ate some.
Even snails became toxic. Don't mind not eating the later - the cow's
milk however is worrying.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 10:51:10 +0000, Klara
wrote:

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"PA" alves###paulo@gmail#com wrote in message
. ..
[...]

In my experience it does not deter moles at all.
HOWEVER I have heard that the sap was used against moles on the skin,
not the furry burrowers.

Pam in Bristol

Old 05-03-2007, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5 Mar, 13:00, Pam Moore wrote:
In my experience it does not deter moles at all.
HOWEVER I have heard that the sap was used against moles on the skin,
not the furry burrowers.

)) It's used on warts surely, not moles.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"PA" alves###paulo@gmail#com wrote in message
I am starting a new part of the garden and try to get rid of the weeds. It
was when I noticed this strange plant/weed? I do not have a clue of what
it
is and how it giot there (if it is not a weed).

The picture is he
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...N0016Small.jpg

thanks

I quite like the plant although many folk particularly in the South treat it
as a nuisance weed. Remove the seeds pots once they are ripe otherwise you
will end up rather more than you want. It is an easy plant to weed.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"PA" alves###paulo@gmail#com wrote in message
I am starting a new part of the garden and try to get rid of the weeds. It
was when I noticed this strange plant/weed? I do not have a clue of what
it
is and how it giot there (if it is not a weed).

The picture is he
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...N0016Small.jpg

thanks

I quite like the plant although many folk particularly in the South treat
it as a nuisance weed. Remove the seeds pots once they are ripe otherwise
you will end up rather more than you want. It is an easy plant to weed.

It is also an easy weed to plant.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5 Mar 2007 05:12:02 -0800, "La Puce" wrote:

)) It's used on warts surely, not moles.

Then it should be called the wart plant!!!

Pam in Bristol
Old 05-03-2007, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pam Moore wrote:
On 5 Mar 2007 05:12:02 -0800, "La Puce" wrote:

)) It's used on warts surely, not moles.

Then it should be called the wart plant!!!

wartwert ?

Old 06-03-2007, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mary Fisher wrote:

"PA" alves###paulo@gmail#com wrote in message
I am starting a new part of the garden and try to get rid of the weeds. It
was when I noticed this strange plant/weed? I do not have a clue of what
it
is and how it giot there (if it is not a weed).

The picture is he
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...N0016Small.jpg

It's caper spurge, a very handsome plant I think and easy to pull up but I
wouldn't want a lot in my small garden. Someone warned not to eat the seeds,
they're not capers and can be dangerous. Also, the sap can affect some
people quite badly.

It's a member of the euphorbia family I think, so the sap effect is
likely to be worse in strong sunlight - most euphorbia sap is
photoreactive (if that's the right term) and burns the skin in the
presence of sunlight - best to do the weeding on a cloudy day :-)

--
Carol
"Never trust a man wearing leather shorts and a plastic dressing gown"

Old 06-03-2007, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Carol Hague writes
Mary Fisher wrote:

[...]

Euphorbia lathyrus
--
Kay
Old 06-03-2007, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:

Carol Hague writes
Mary Fisher wrote:

snip
The picture is he
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...N0016Small.jpg

It's caper spurge, a very handsome plant I think and easy to pull up
but I wouldn't want a lot in my small garden. Someone warned not to eat
the seeds, they're not capers and can be dangerous. Also, the sap can
affect some people quite badly.

It's a member of the euphorbia family I think, so the sap effect is
likely to be worse in strong sunlight - most euphorbia sap is
photoreactive (if that's the right term) and burns the skin in the
presence of sunlight - best to do the weeding on a cloudy day :-)

Euphorbia lathyrus

Thanks! I'll try to remember that. My memory's a bit dodgy, but Latin
names tend to stick quite well for some reason.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 Carol Hague wrote:

I am starting a new part of the garden and try to get rid of the weeds. It
was when I noticed this strange plant/weed? I do not have a clue of what
it
is and how it giot there (if it is not a weed).

The picture is he
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...N0016Small.jpg

It's caper spurge, a very handsome plant I think and easy to pull up but I
wouldn't want a lot in my small garden. Someone warned not to eat the seeds,
they're not capers and can be dangerous. Also, the sap can affect some
people quite badly.

It's a member of the euphorbia family I think, so the sap effect is
likely to be worse in strong sunlight - most euphorbia sap is
photoreactive (if that's the right term) and burns the skin in the
presence of sunlight - best to do the weeding on a cloudy day :-)

Ah, so that's what it is! I've some of these in my garden for years and
they keep coming back. It's quite right that they burn the skin. I
always wear gloves to pull them up.

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Old 06-03-2007, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 Klara wrote:

I am starting a new part of the garden and try to get rid of the weeds. It
was when I noticed this strange plant/weed? I do not have a clue of what
it
is and how it giot there (if it is not a weed).

The picture is he
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...N0016Small.jpg

thanks

HA! It's what brought me back to URG some time ago :-)

It's caper spurge, a very handsome plant I think and easy to pull up but I
wouldn't want a lot in my small garden. Someone warned not to eat the seeds,
they're not capers and can be dangerous. Also, the sap can affect some
people quite badly.

They're supposed to be good against moles. I don't know whether this
has been proven, but ever since the spurge turned up in our garden the
moles have disappeared :-)

Aha! So that's why the French call it l'herbe au taupe (or possibly
l'herbe aux taupes). I wouldn't know - I've only heard my neighbour say
it!

David