Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-03-2007, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default persimmons and kaki

I was born in a part of the world (SW France) where our November lives
were brightened by soft, overripe kakis in many gardens and orchard,
and I absolutely adore the stuff.
However, after a bit of research (including some here, as I recall) I
had more or less come to terms with the fact taht I may not be able to
grow it (and get fruit) in the Eastern Midlands of Ireland.
Imagine my surprise when, in a promotional supplement included in
yesterday's newspapers, a Bakker.ie pamphlet advertised sharon fruit
(persimmon) trees for sale (the slightly square type fruits you get in
shops here and which can be eated even when hard, not the big roundy
ones I used to eat back home when they were almost gone off), side by
side with blueberry plants and raspberry canes.
Are there varieties that can genuinely be grown and fruit in these
Islands?

Cat(h)

Fuyu Persimmons Sunburning The Ranger[_1_] Edible Gardening 1 11-09-2007 09:14 PM
birds stealing persimmons John Savage Australia 1 01-06-2006 06:40 AM
Diospyros kaki Cat(h) United Kingdom 12 18-01-2006 01:18 PM
Kaki/persimmon tree - growing in the British Isles? Catherinel Edible Gardening 2 17-01-2006 04:50 PM
Persimmons B.Server Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:09 AM