Old 05-03-2007, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default persimmons and kaki

I was born in a part of the world (SW France) where our November lives
were brightened by soft, overripe kakis in many gardens and orchard,
and I absolutely adore the stuff.
However, after a bit of research (including some here, as I recall) I
had more or less come to terms with the fact taht I may not be able to
grow it (and get fruit) in the Eastern Midlands of Ireland.
Imagine my surprise when, in a promotional supplement included in
yesterday's newspapers, a Bakker.ie pamphlet advertised sharon fruit
(persimmon) trees for sale (the slightly square type fruits you get in
shops here and which can be eated even when hard, not the big roundy
ones I used to eat back home when they were almost gone off), side by
side with blueberry plants and raspberry canes.
Are there varieties that can genuinely be grown and fruit in these
Islands?

Cat(h)

Old 05-03-2007, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 5 Mar, 14:58, "Cat(h)" wrote:
[...]

Have a look at this site.. http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/persimmon.html
It should answer most of your questions.
The parent site is worth saving as it is a good reference point.http://
www.crfg.org/pubs/frtfacts.html
I am growing Pepino Dulce and had a few fruits last year, have been
trying to get hold of named varieties that they grow in New Zeland but
to date no luck, they grow them as a comercial crop.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 05-03-2007, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 5, 4:05 pm, "Dave Hill" wrote:
On 5 Mar, 14:58, "Cat(h)" wrote:

[...]

Abacus Nurseries- Hide quoted text -

Thank you David. I had bookmarked that website during my earlier
reseach. I had also contacted a nursery in Cornwall (if memory
serves) where I found through Google Kakis could be purchased -
however, the person who responded to my email poured cold water over
my ambitions to get fruit from them...
I might just try, not much to lose!
Cat(h)

Old 05-03-2007, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Cath
Can I also suggest having a look at www.agroforestry.co.uk Apart of
their offering they stock Chinese and American persimmon which they
suggest should prove better here than the oriental persimmon which you
are refering to.

I would also suggest that many plant sellers are that - there for the
selling rather than good horticultural guideance. My point is that
just becasue its in the catalogue look for some back up.

From what I have learned the US persimmons are edible but not as sweet

as the oriental ones. They are used for making jams

Ever the synic when it somes to exotics

Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Old 06-03-2007, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 5, 8:39 pm, "cliff_the_gardener"
wrote:
Cath
Can I also suggest having a look atwww.agroforestry.co.uk Apart of
their offering they stock Chinese and American persimmon which they
suggest should prove better here than the oriental persimmon which you
are refering to.

I like that site - it is bookmarked, and I have emailed them to
enquire about a purchase later this year. From the research I have
done, the persimmons of my youth were definitely those that need
bletting to remove the astringency (American??) - that was also the
main reason why we were able to raid so many orchards unimpeded: it
appears few growers had had the patience to wait till the fruit was
actually edible to take a bite. They didn't know what they were
missing, but by Jove, we were quite happy to help :-)

I would also suggest that many plant sellers are that - there for the
selling rather than good horticultural guideance. My point is that
just becasue its in the catalogue look for some back up.

That's exactly why I asked here when faced with the Bakker prospectus
this week end. I am quite sure they don't offer fruiting
guarantees...

From what I have learned the US persimmons are edible but not as sweet

as the oriental ones. They are used for making jams

Ever the synic when it somes to exotics

Don't burst my bubble... I'm only a very new gardener, and in my
Proustian pursuit of childhood nostalgia, I planted two fig trees in
large pots in front of my south facing gable end last year - and yes,
I expect to be able to get a couple of figs within the next 10
years....

Many thanks for your suggestions.

Cat(h)

Fuyu Persimmons Sunburning The Ranger[_1_] Edible Gardening 1 11-09-2007 09:14 PM
birds stealing persimmons John Savage Australia 1 01-06-2006 06:40 AM
Diospyros kaki Cat(h) United Kingdom 12 18-01-2006 01:18 PM
Kaki/persimmon tree - growing in the British Isles? Catherinel Edible Gardening 2 17-01-2006 04:50 PM
Persimmons B.Server Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:09 AM