Old 11-03-2007, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rose advice please

I'm looking for a white rose to grow up a 6 foot north facing fence in
the London area, and these seem to be the best bets:
New Dawn
Pleine de Grace
Rosa moschata
Although there is only about an hour's direct sunlight in the summer
months (late evening), it is quite close to two white painted houses,
which I assume must reflect some light during the day.
I already have some sort of climbing rose there and it is totally bare
until it reaches the top of the fence, but flowers quite well along
the top. What I'm looking for is something that might flower at a
lower level.
Any advice appreciated

Old 11-03-2007, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 11 Mar, 19:26, "
wrote:
I'm looking for a white rose to grow up a 6 foot north facing fence in
the London area, and these seem to be the best bets:
New Dawn
Pleine de Grace
Rosa moschata
Although there is only about an hour's direct sunlight in the summer
months (late evening), it is quite close to two white painted houses,
which I assume must reflect some light during the day.
I already have some sort of climbing rose there and it is totally bare
until it reaches the top of the fence, but flowers quite well along
the top. What I'm looking for is something that might flower at a
lower level.
Any advice appreciated

It is not the variety that causes flower at the top of the plant
rather the way it is grown and pruned.
You want to encourage growth from low down on the rose, and if this
growth is bent down towards the ground, that will reduce the flow of
sap and cause the stem to throw more flowering shoots (Normally).
What the rose wants to do is to grow up towards the light and to have
its flowers up where they can best be seen by the insects that will
polonate them.which is also why they will grow through a bush or tree
to flower on the south side.
Why not go for a good white bush rose, could be easier to get the
flowers over a wider spread than you will get from a climber.

David Hil
Abacus nurseries.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm looking for a white rose to grow up a 6 foot north facing fence in
the London area, and these seem to be the best bets:
New Dawn
Pleine de Grace
Rosa moschata
Although there is only about an hour's direct sunlight in the summer
months (late evening), it is quite close to two white painted houses,
which I assume must reflect some light during the day.
I already have some sort of climbing rose there and it is totally bare
until it reaches the top of the fence, but flowers quite well along
the top. What I'm looking for is something that might flower at a
lower level.
Any advice appreciated

New Dawn is a lovely rose but is definitely pale pink not white (although I
learnt a while back peoples perception of colour varies!)
I should have thought Iceberg would do ok although we can not grow it down
here.
2 cream white roses that always do well are La Perle and Alberic Barbier.
The other worth a mention is Madam Alfred Carrier

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 12-03-2007, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Many thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't thought of a bush rose, but
it makes more sense.
I'm not even that bothered about the colour as long as there is the
remotest chance of it flowering against a north facing fence. I would
describe the conditions as "light" but with virtually no direct sun. A
Mexican orange thrived there for many years, so I assume it's not a
hopeless location.