Old 22-04-2005, 08:45 PM
Chris S

Default Rose Cuttings - advice please

Hi,
I have had rose cuttings on the go since autumn. I few weeks ago, they
looked strong & healthy - they have been in an open cold frame. Leaves had
broken from a number of buds. Lately, they have been losing their flush, and
are either wilting, or discoloured. There does appear to be some healthy
growth, though. Is this a fairly normal stage while roots develop? When
should I get worried??

Chris S

Old 24-04-2005, 09:43 PM
Garry Nixon

"Chris S" wrote in message
Hi,
I have had rose cuttings on the go since autumn. I few weeks ago, they
looked strong & healthy - they have been in an open cold frame. Leaves had
broken from a number of buds. Lately, they have been losing their flush,

and
are either wilting, or discoloured. There does appear to be some healthy
growth, though. Is this a fairly normal stage while roots develop? When
should I get worried??

Chris S

I had some 'dog rose' cuttings taken in winter before last; kept them in a
bucket of soil,and planted them out last spring; they really just 'ticked
over' all of last year. Now, they're looking very healthy and putting on
masses of new growth already this spring. I'm assuming they need a year to
sort themselves out, and probably most of their energy goes into roots.

However - I'm most definitely NOT a rose person, and I'm speaking only from
my own (newbie to gardening) observations.

Good luck!

Garry