Old 18-03-2007, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Watering of runner beans

I thought it was perfectly clear that if one has, in the soil, a runner
bean plant growing through a large hole in the base of an upturned 8/9 inch
flower pot and one puts about an inch of water in the pot, the roots of the
bean would be watered but it seems that some people must be as thick as the
clay subsoil in my garden for they could not understand how the bean roots
were watered!!!!

Lionel - unsubscribing.

Old 19-03-2007, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19 Mar, 13:23, Pam Moore wrote:
I thought it was perfectly clear that if one has, in the soil, a runner
bean plant growing through a large hole in the base of an upturned 8/9 inch
flower pot and one puts about an inch of water in the pot, the roots of the
bean would be watered but it seems that some people must be as thick as the
clay subsoil in my garden for they could not understand how the bean roots
were watered!!!!

Lionel - unsubscribing.

If you are unsubscribing, you will not see this!!!
To my mind, it would be easier to water if you cut the bottom out of
the pot entirely, and put that over the plant. Then you could water
more easily and it would also not make such a good hiding place for
sanails.
But then, to Lionel's mind, I'm thick!!

No off course you're not. I had a thought about this for ages - it's
quite difficult to understand why some people have different way or
logic to do things. Here, at work, we run into this a lot with the way
we design. We would in the end achieve the same design, but we go
about it a different way. I think with Lionel it's the same. Though
you did had a point with the snails ...!

Old 19-03-2007, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 19 Mar, 14:12, "La Puce" wrote:
[...]

I still don't see the point of the pot, cut a pop bottle into 6 inch
rings and use those, you'd get wind protection for the first few days,
no light loss, no place for pests to hide, and if you were going to
hoe the ground, protection from a careless cut with the hoe.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 19-03-2007, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article .com, Dave
Hill writes

I still don't see the point of the pot, cut a pop bottle into 6 inch
rings and use those, you'd get wind protection for the first few days,
no light loss, no place for pests to hide, and if you were going to
hoe the ground, protection from a careless cut with the hoe.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Quite! I couldn't see the point either but thought I was
misunderstanding the watering bit. .............
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 21-03-2007, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pam,

Thank you for your comments but I like the idea of a clear water bottle.

--

Baal

I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way
"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article .com, Dave
Hill writes

I still don't see the point of the pot, cut a pop bottle into 6 inch
rings and use those, you'd get wind protection for the first few days,
no light loss, no place for pests to hide, and if you were going to
hoe the ground, protection from a careless cut with the hoe.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Quite! I couldn't see the point either but thought I was misunderstanding
the watering bit. .............
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Runner beans, wot beans ?? AriesVal[_11_] United Kingdom 17 18-07-2011 11:38 AM
Is a runner bean a runner bean lloyd United Kingdom 9 28-09-2009 10:12 PM
Runner Beans mark United Kingdom 27 01-05-2009 10:37 PM
Runner Beans - No Beans ! Mike United Kingdom 10 02-09-2004 04:17 PM
Runner Beans, lots of flowers but no beans X United Kingdom 6 19-06-2003 09:32 AM