Old 22-03-2007, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Petrol Hedgecutter problem

Bought this Spear & Jackson petrol hedgetrimmer from Argos ( I didn't
know they made petrol stuff either ) but thought at £90 and with the
S&J name it must be a good buy !
Haven't been disappointed - build quality good and starts OK the only
thing is it tends to cut out when cutting side of hedge . It says in
handbook that this will happen if fuel tank not kept full .........
however doing this adds to weight etc. which is a shame cos this model
is lighter than most for petrol types.
Just wanted to know if this problem is typical with petrol machines
...... anyone had similar experiences ?
Old 22-03-2007, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"topo" ag @ag.mail.com wrote in message
news
Haven't been disappointed - build quality good and starts OK the only
thing is it tends to cut out when cutting side of hedge . It says in
handbook that this will happen if fuel tank not kept full .........
however doing this adds to weight etc. which is a shame cos this model
is lighter than most for petrol types.
Just wanted to know if this problem is typical with petrol machines
..... anyone had similar experiences ?

Mine does the same after held on its side for a while, but not too soon as
to be a problem. Check if the pick up tube inside the tank is free to dangle
down into the fuel.

Mike
www.farend.org.uk

Old 22-03-2007, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

On 22 Mar, 16:09, "Muddymike" wrote:
"topo" ag @ag.mail.com wrote in message

news
Haven't been disappointed - build quality good and starts OK the only
thing is it tends to cut out when cutting side of hedge . It says in
handbook that this will happen if fuel tank not kept full .........
however doing this adds to weight etc. which is a shame cos this model
is lighter than most for petrol types.
Just wanted to know if this problem is typical with petrol machines
..... anyone had similar experiences ?

Mine does the same after held on its side for a while, but not too soon as
to be a problem. Check if the pick up tube inside the tank is free to dangle
down into the fuel.

You've taken the words out of my mouth. Dunno about that hedgecutter,
but on chainsaws there is usually a fairly weighty filter on the tube
that tends to drop to the lowest part of the tank, it works well
normally but on some models it can get wedged in the corner of the
tank.

Old 22-03-2007, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 15:51:04 GMT, topo ag @ag.mail.com wrote:

Bought this Spear & Jackson petrol hedgetrimmer from Argos ( I didn't
know they made petrol stuff either ) but thought at £90 and with the
S&J name it must be a good buy !
Haven't been disappointed - build quality good and starts OK the only
thing is it tends to cut out when cutting side of hedge . It says in
handbook that this will happen if fuel tank not kept full .........
however doing this adds to weight etc. which is a shame cos this model
is lighter than most for petrol types.
Just wanted to know if this problem is typical with petrol machines
..... anyone had similar experiences ?

Have you tried cutting the opposite way round ???

Instead of the trimmer to the right of you, try to the left of you.

Forget this idea if you only have a single sided cutter.

Old 23-03-2007, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 15:51:04 GMT, topo ag @ag.mail.com wrote:

Bought this Spear & Jackson petrol hedgetrimmer from Argos ( I didn't
know they made petrol stuff either ) but thought at £90 and with the
S&J name it must be a good buy !
Haven't been disappointed - build quality good and starts OK the only
thing is it tends to cut out when cutting side of hedge . It says in
handbook that this will happen if fuel tank not kept full .........
however doing this adds to weight etc. which is a shame cos this model
is lighter than most for petrol types.
Just wanted to know if this problem is typical with petrol machines
..... anyone had similar experiences ?

Thanks for replies guys ... did think of trying it otherway round but
I am very right handed and it being so heavy to use prefer to hold the
thing with trigger handle in right hand etc.
I must say I get on better with my electric one but watching out for
the power lead is a b....r & at this price thought I would give it a
try !