Old 28-03-2007, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Its not easy being green - Greenhouse heater.

Hi all,

Last year there was a BBC2 programme called "Its not easy being green".

In one of the episodes the presenter Dick Strawbridge built a greenhouse
heater out of a computer cpu fan, solar panels and a bit of piping....

Now that I've erected a nice shiny a wanted to try out his idea (It
involved circulating the air from the top of the house back into the
gravel bed on the floor.

I can't find any link on the internet or the BBC's website..... Has
anyone tried this idea or knows where there are plans for such a scheme.

Thanks,

Paul.
Old 28-03-2007, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 28, 11:04 am, Paul Waites wrote:
Hi all,

Last year there was a BBC2 programme called "Its not easy being green".

In one of the episodes the presenter Dick Strawbridge built a greenhouse
heater out of a computer cpu fan, solar panels and a bit of piping....

Now that I've erected a nice shiny a wanted to try out his idea (It
involved circulating the air from the top of the house back into the
gravel bed on the floor.

I can't find any link on the internet or the BBC's website..... Has
anyone tried this idea or knows where there are plans for such a scheme.

Thanks,

Paul.

The show appears to be back on.

I would suspect, solar panels power the fan which blows air down a
tube/pipe into the gravel. whether it really works or not I
wouldn't like to say.

Old 28-03-2007, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi all

On 28 Mar 2007 05:52:38 -0700, "adder1969"
wrote:

[...]

Yes - that's how it (was claimed to) work.....

The principle has been around a long time - and is used in
house heating - it's effective where there are large differences
between day-time and night-time temperatures.

The key to its success would be how much airflow you could get from
the PC fan, and how much gravel you had to store the heat in....

I guess that most of us would open the greenhouse vents when it go
really hot in there - so much of the hot air would escape. Also, a
simple 'solar panel runs the fan' approach would not account for
bright, cold days - where you might well end up pushing what little
warm air there is into the gravel bed - which might not be what you
want.....

Like much of the 'science' in the programme, I got the feeling that it
was done for the sake of 'good TV', rather that being particularly
'green'. Dick likes 'making things' - which is great - but some of the
things he devised in the series seemed to be a triumph of ingenuity
over common-sense...

A cheap way of storing the heat in a greenhouse (if you have the room)
is to put as many black-painted oil drums in there as you can manage.
Fill them with water. When it's hot in the greenhouse the drums &
water will absorb the heat, when it's cooler the drums will rediate
the heat back into the greenhouse. Probably just as effective and the
gravel bed system - and no moving parts to go wrong !

Regards
Adrian
Old 28-03-2007, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

I seem to remember he used recycled glass cullet. I don't know if that makes
any difference.

Old 28-03-2007, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28 Mar, 11:04, Paul Waites wrote:

Hi all,

Last year there was a BBC2 programme called "Its not easy being green".

In one of the episodes the presenter Dick Strawbridge built a greenhouse
heater out of a computer cpu fan, solar panels and a bit of piping....

Now that I've erected a nice shiny a wanted to try out his idea (It
involved circulating the air from the top of the house back into the
gravel bed on the floor.

I can't find any link on the internet or the BBC's website..... Has
anyone tried this idea or knows where there are plans for such a scheme.

Thanks,

Paul.

I would have thought just painting the floor black or a dark colour
would be simpler. If the slight reduction in light level were an
issue, an external reflector could make up for it.

(Assuming a concrete base)

NT

Old 28-03-2007, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Paul Waites" wrote in message
Hi all,

Last year there was a BBC2 programme called "Its not easy being green".

In one of the episodes the presenter Dick Strawbridge built a greenhouse
heater out of a computer cpu fan, solar panels and a bit of piping....

Now that I've erected a nice shiny a wanted to try out his idea (It
involved circulating the air from the top of the house back into the
gravel bed on the floor.

I can't find any link on the internet or the BBC's website..... Has
anyone tried this idea or knows where there are plans for such a scheme.

Thanks,

Paul.

You need to visit Dick's personal site though the information on it
regarding the greenhouse is brief - more info is promised to lie within his
book.

http://www.itsnoteasybeinggreen.org/...htm#greenhouse

HTH

Howard

Old 28-03-2007, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 28 Mar, 21:57, "Howard Haigh" hh001c7439@$NOSPAMPLEASE
$blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
[...]

Where I have come across heat sinks they have comprised of Pits 2 to
3ft deep set into the greenhouse floor and filled with stones from
cricket ball size to football size, and covered with a heavy wooden
lid with gaps of around 1/4 inch between planks. Warm air from the
roof area is pumped into the bottom of the sink and the stones
gradually warm, and give off heat through the night.
I had hoped to try pumping warm air through a tunnel formed from
concrete blocks under the benches, but 2 knee replacements have
prevented me crawling around under the benches. The idea being that as
with storage heaters the concrete would store the heat they gained in
the day and give it off through the night.

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 29-03-2007, 10:55 AM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hill View Post

Hi all,

Last year there was a BBC2 programme called "Its not easy being green".

In one of the episodes the presenter Dick Strawbridge built a greenhouse
heater out of a computer cpu fan, solar panels and a bit of piping....

Now that I've erected a nice shiny a wanted to try out his idea (It
involved circulating the air from the top of the house back into the
gravel bed on the floor.

I can't find any link on the internet or the BBC's website..... Has
anyone tried this idea or knows where there are plans for such a scheme.

Thanks,

Paul.

If you're just trying to keep it frost free, then how about some large black plastic water containers filled with water, they would heat up nicely in the sun and release their heat slowly at night. Once the frosts are past they can be removed giving more space ot just used for watering the plants.
Old 30-03-2007, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
dr dr is offline

wrote:

[...]

Indeed he did, he hired a glass bottle sonic "crusher" then scrounged the
bottles from the local pub, so everything was free. Then used some white
plastic tubing to direct the heat from the top of the GH down into the
bottom of the glass sump. It was powered by a solar panel (outside the GH),
but I thought the fan was a little more sophisticated than a simple PC fan
(could be wrong).

The real advantage of this is that it takes up no space, uses up no energy,
and basically just runs itself an ideal little extra heat during the
evenings, though there was no real demonstration of how well it worked.
Would be nice to see a max/min thermometer inside and out of the GH to see
what difference it can make. Though how you turn off a heat sump I don't
know.

Old 02-04-2007, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
dr dr is offline

dr wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Just watched the tape of this weeks episode, and I see they we're doing the
heatsink thing again, only this time using any old rubbish in the hole.

Old 02-04-2007, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 2 Apr, 10:48, dr wrote:
dr wrote:
gentlegreen wrote:

. ..

wrote:

[...]

Thinking it over you could always fill the heat sink with plastic pop
bottles filled with water, thus helping recycle them.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 11-03-2012, 08:38 AM
Registered User

Location: RYDE IOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Waites View Post
Hi all,

Last year there was a BBC2 programme called "Its not easy being green".

In one of the episodes the presenter Dick Strawbridge built a greenhouse
heater out of a computer cpu fan, solar panels and a bit of piping....

Now that I've erected a nice shiny a wanted to try out his idea (It
involved circulating the air from the top of the house back into the
gravel bed on the floor.

I can't find any link on the internet or the BBC's website..... Has
anyone tried this idea or knows where there are plans for such a scheme.

Thanks,

Paul.
Renewable Energy UK willgive information on subject it does work fine as i have just installed it