Old 05-04-2007, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default identification of leaves

I have sown cabbage, (Primo) and Brussel Sprouts, (Peer Gynt)
Unfortunately I forgot to label them. They are growing well but I
don't know which is which, how can I tell?

Judith

Old 05-04-2007, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 5 Apr, 18:22, "
wrote:
I have sown cabbage, (Primo) and Brussel Sprouts, (Peer Gynt)
Unfortunately I forgot to label them. They are growing well but I
don't know which is which, how can I tell?

Judith

If I remember rightly then the sprouts have rounder leaves than the
cabbage.

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 05-04-2007, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 5 Apr, 18:22, "
wrote:
I have sown cabbage, (Primo) and Brussel Sprouts, (Peer Gynt)
Unfortunately I forgot to label them. They are growing well but I
don't know which is which, how can I tell?

Judith

If I remember rightly then the sprouts have rounder leaves than the
cabbage.

And will grow as a stalk, not round like cabbage.

Alan

Old 05-04-2007, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from "
contains these words:

I have sown cabbage, (Primo) and Brussel Sprouts, (Peer Gynt)
Unfortunately I forgot to label them. They are growing well but I
don't know which is which, how can I tell?

IIRC the leaves look pretty similar...I would plant them alternately,
then, as you will use the cabbage first, that leaves room for the
Sprouts...you won't be harvesting _them_ until after the first frosts,
will you?

What a good idea, I must try to remember that.

Alan

Old 05-04-2007, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 5, 7:54 pm, Anne Jackson wrote:
The message from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from "
contains these words:

I have sown cabbage, (Primo) and Brussel Sprouts, (Peer Gynt)
Unfortunately I forgot to label them. They are growing well but I
don't know which is which, how can I tell?

IIRC the leaves look pretty similar...I would plant them alternately,
then, as you will use the cabbage first, that leaves room for the
Sprouts...you won't be harvesting _them_ until after the first frosts,
will you?

What a good idea, I must try to remember that.

I'm full of good ideas, darlink! ;-)

Thanks everyone, I will take Anne's advice, if I can't identify them
and plant alternatively. Quite right, the sprouts will need frost
before we can eat them.

Judith

Old 05-04-2007, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 5, 6:55 pm, "Dave Hill" wrote:
On 5 Apr, 18:22, "

wrote:
I have sown cabbage, (Primo) and Brussel Sprouts, (Peer Gynt)
Unfortunately I forgot to label them. They are growing well but I
don't know which is which, how can I tell?

Judith

If I remember rightly then the sprouts have rounder leaves than the
cabbage.

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Thanks David, I will plant one row and alternate plants, I will also
plant a short row of the rounder leaved ones and se if you are
right!!!

Judith

Old 05-04-2007, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from "Alan Holmes" contains these
words:
"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from "
contains these words:

I have sown cabbage, (Primo) and Brussel Sprouts, (Peer Gynt)
Unfortunately I forgot to label them. They are growing well but I
don't know which is which, how can I tell?

IIRC the leaves look pretty similar...I would plant them alternately,
then, as you will use the cabbage first, that leaves room for the
Sprouts...you won't be harvesting _them_ until after the first frosts,
will you?

What a good idea, I must try to remember that.

I'm full of good ideas, darlink! ;-)

I know, but the trouble is keep forgetting them!(:-(

Alan