Old 10-08-2009, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rob Rob is offline

Default Identification: small plant with clover-shaped leaves

Can anyone identify this for me please?
http://s882.photobucket.com/albums/a...ver-Shape1.jpg

As you can see, the stem - at the moment - is about 10 cms long.
There are three clover-shaped leaves joined at the top of the stem.
Its the seed bundle at the bottom that intrigues (and frightens !)
me.
I suspect it is a "cultivated wild flower" which has become a weed for
me.
Thanks in advance (and sorry if it is obvious . . .)

Old 10-08-2009, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-08-10 16:19:54 +0100, Rob said:

Can anyone identify this for me please?

http://s882.photobucket.com/albums/a...ver-Shape1.jpg

As

you can see, the stem - at the moment - is about 10 cms long.
There are three clover-shaped leaves joined at the top of the stem.
Its the seed bundle at the bottom that intrigues (and frightens !)
me.
I suspect it is a "cultivated wild flower" which has become a weed for
me.
Thanks in advance (and sorry if it is obvious . . .)

Some kind of Oxalis?
--

yup. we've got that all over the place. It's pinkish flowered presumably?
The 'seeds' are in fact tiny bulbs from which next years crop comes. If

Steve

Old 10-08-2009, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rob" wrote ...
Can anyone identify this for me please?

http://s882.photobucket.com/albums/a...ver-Shape1.jpg

As you can see, the stem - at the moment - is about 10 cms long.
There are three clover-shaped leaves joined at the top of the stem.
Its the seed bundle at the bottom that intrigues (and frightens !)
me.
I suspect it is a "cultivated wild flower" which has become a weed for
me.
Thanks in advance (and sorry if it is obvious . . .)

Certainly Oxalis and it can become a right pain, depends where you are in
the UK, but it is trying to take over a relatives garden in Isleworth
(W.London).

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 10-08-2009, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Yes, an Oxalis -probably our native wood sorrel. If it is, the flowers
in the spring are white, slightly blushed with pink. If it's one of
the pernicious weeds the flowers will be smaller and yellow and the
leaves are a bit smaller.

--
Rod

My real address is

Old 10-08-2009, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 10, 5:53*pm, "Rod" wrote:
Yes, an Oxalis -probably our native wood sorrel. If it is, the flowers
in the spring are white, slightly blushed with pink. If it's one of
the pernicious weeds the flowers will be smaller and yellow and the
leaves are a bit smaller.

I have the one shown and also a bronze leaf version with yellow
flowers that turns up everywhere!

Old 10-08-2009, 11:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11 aug, 00:11, moghouse wrote:
On Aug 10, 5:53*pm, "Rod" wrote:

Yes, an Oxalis -probably our native wood sorrel. If it is, the flowers
in the spring are white, slightly blushed with pink. If it's one of
the pernicious weeds the flowers will be smaller and yellow and the
leaves are a bit smaller.

I have the one shown and also a bronze leaf version with yellow
flowers that turns up everywhere!

Thanks. Of course, now I know what it is I can find it in my books !
This is always the gardener's problem, we see the plants at an early
stage of development
which in no way looks like what is illustrated by wild flower (or
other) books.
Such books normally assume the flower can be seen, often they are
organised by flower colour;
that's far too late for a weed-bashing gardener !
Does anyone know of a book on weeds/plants at early stages of
development?
I have the Mea Allan one (The Gardener's Book of Weeds) but it is
mostly in black and white,
and again she rather assumes fully-developed plants (However, her
description of Oxalis latiflora is very accurate).
I also have a Min of Ag,, Fish and Food Bulletin 179 (from 1966, price
5s. 6d. net)
Seedlings of Common Weeds, but unfortunately Oxalis is not in there.
Greetings.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 23:50:29 +0100, Topaz wrote
(in article
):

On Aug 10, 5:53*pm, "Rod" wrote:

[...]

Not quite what you're asking for, but I have always found the Bugs and Weeds
site interesting: http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk/sitemap.html

Some happy browsing there!

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Posted through uk.rec.gardening

Old 11-08-2009, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Topaz writes

Thanks. Of course, now I know what it is I can find it in my books !
This is always the gardener's problem, we see the plants at an early
stage of development
which in no way looks like what is illustrated by wild flower (or
other) books.
Such books normally assume the flower can be seen, often they are
organised by flower colour;
that's far too late for a weed-bashing gardener !
Does anyone know of a book on weeds/plants at early stages of
development?

Roger Phillips, Weeds, Elm Tree books, ISBN 0-241-11755-0
Out of print, unfortunately.
--
Kay
Old 12-08-2009, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 12:22:24 +0100, K wrote:

Topaz writes

Thanks. Of course, now I know what it is I can find it in my books !
This is always the gardener's problem, we see the plants at an early
stage of development
which in no way looks like what is illustrated by wild flower (or
other) books.
Such books normally assume the flower can be seen, often they are
organised by flower colour;
that's far too late for a weed-bashing gardener !
Does anyone know of a book on weeds/plants at early stages of
development?

Roger Phillips, Weeds, Elm Tree books, ISBN 0-241-11755-0
Out of print, unfortunately.

Garden and Field Weeds

There is one second hand copy in Lancashire
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...eds&x=67&y =9

£12 Plus P&P
--

Martin

Thanks for the bugs link (amazing) and for this book recommendation.
Before I spend a fortune on airmail/courier P&P, can any owner reassure me
that
the Philips book does show the weeds in early (various) stages of
development?
I am hopeful, as I have his "Wild Flowers of Britain" and that is superb.
Rob

Old 12-08-2009, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

LampLighter writes

Roger Phillips, Weeds, Elm Tree books, ISBN 0-241-11755-0
Out of print, unfortunately.

Garden and Field Weeds

There is one second hand copy in Lancashire

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...illips&bi=0&bx
=off&ds=30&isbn=ISBN0241117550&sortby=2&sts=t&tn =Weeds&x=67&y=9

£12 Plus P&P
--

Thanks for the bugs link (amazing) and for this book recommendation.
Before I spend a fortune on airmail/courier P&P, can any owner reassure me
that
the Philips book does show the weeds in early (various) stages of
development?
I am hopeful, as I have his "Wild Flowers of Britain" and that is superb.
Rob

47 seedlings shown alongside the adult plants; most of the others don't
change much between seedling and adult. But since I recommended in
response to your request for a book showing seedlings I presume you are
wanting confirmation from someone else.

It's only an A5 book - you might be happier putting in a book search
request on ABE and waiting to see if a cheaper copy comes in.

--
Kay