Old 06-04-2007, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default So.....

who's planting what this w/e? Apart from sowing parsley today, of course.
;-) The weather forecast being as it is, we're expecting/hoping for a v.
busy week end but I'm hoping we find enough time to put in a Humulus lupus
aureus to go up part of the front of the house where we've taken down an
unsatisfactory Wisteria. We might team it with one of the darker coloured
and later flowering Clematis because the leaves of the hop show off other
plants to great advantage.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 06-04-2007, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
who's planting what this w/e? Apart from sowing parsley today, of course.
;-) The weather forecast being as it is, we're expecting/hoping for a v.
busy week end but I'm hoping we find enough time to put in a Humulus lupus
aureus to go up part of the front of the house where we've taken down an
unsatisfactory Wisteria. We might team it with one of the darker coloured
and later flowering Clematis because the leaves of the hop show off other
plants to great advantage.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

I've got lots to plant but unfortunately the space is currently occupied by
builders and rubble. I had a go at cramming in a few plants yesterday only
to find that I had dug up and damaged a nice patch of cardiocrinums and a
prized arisaema :-)
All the stuff I ordered online in those dark winter months is starting to
arrive and nowhere to put it. A few more pots perhumps.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6/4/07 11:18, in article , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
who's planting what this w/e? Apart from sowing parsley today, of course.
;-) The weather forecast being as it is, we're expecting/hoping for a v.
busy week end but I'm hoping we find enough time to put in a Humulus lupus
aureus to go up part of the front of the house where we've taken down an
unsatisfactory Wisteria. We might team it with one of the darker coloured
and later flowering Clematis because the leaves of the hop show off other
plants to great advantage.
--

I've got lots to plant but unfortunately the space is currently occupied by
builders and rubble. I had a go at cramming in a few plants yesterday only
to find that I had dug up and damaged a nice patch of cardiocrinums and a
prized arisaema :-)

I bet we've all done that at some time. Did you manage to find a hole for
that Weigela I sent you - hope so because it gets to quite a size!

All the stuff I ordered online in those dark winter months is starting to
arrive and nowhere to put it. A few more pots perhumps.

Always a good solution. ;-) We were talking to someone yesterday who said
that he knew a woman who has a Brugmansia in a huge pot which is on castors
so that it gets wheeled out for the summer and back in for the winter. I
imagine the best way to do that would be with one of those wooden or 'faux
lead' planters that it would be easy to screw castors into.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

who's planting what this w/e?

Nothing.
One of the joys of only having a balcony is there is very little to do.
(please don't ask about the disadvantages)

Most things are there already, I may add some volubilis later, or
possibly melons if I'm naughty, but that's more or less it.

Greg

--

Have you ever really considered how much your buildings actually weigh?

No ficus = no spam

Old 06-04-2007, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6/4/07 12:08, in article ,
"Gregoire Kretz" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

who's planting what this w/e?

Nothing.
One of the joys of only having a balcony is there is very little to do.
(please don't ask about the disadvantages)

Most things are there already, I may add some volubilis later, or
possibly melons if I'm naughty, but that's more or less it.

Tomatoes? Cucumbers? Sun lounger? ;-)

Old 06-04-2007, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 6, 12:08 pm, (Gregoire Kretz) wrote:
Sacha wrote:
who's planting what this w/e?

Nothing.
One of the joys of only having a balcony is there is very little to do.
(please don't ask about the disadvantages)

Most things are there already, I may add some volubilis later, or
possibly melons if I'm naughty, but that's more or less it.

Greg

--

Have you ever really considered how much your buildings actually weigh?

No ficus = no spam

Greg, you can grow SO much on a balcony. You could grow your tomatoes
from one of those upside down things, which wouldn't take any space up
and what about peppers, they would look lovely in a pot, just think,
colour that you can eat!

Judith

Old 06-04-2007, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gregoire Kretz" wrote in message
Sacha wrote:

who's planting what this w/e?

Nothing.
One of the joys of only having a balcony is there is very little to do.
(please don't ask about the disadvantages)

Most things are there already, I may add some volubilis later, or
possibly melons if I'm naughty, but that's more or less it.

That is really adventurous!(:-)

Alan

Old 08-04-2007, 01:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 6/4/07 11:18, in article , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
who's planting what this w/e?

snip
I've got lots to plant but unfortunately the space is currently occupied
by
builders and rubble. I had a go at cramming in a few plants yesterday
only
to find that I had dug up and damaged a nice patch of cardiocrinums and a
prized arisaema :-)

I bet we've all done that at some time. Did you manage to find a hole for
that Weigela I sent you - hope so because it gets to quite a size!

Oh yes that went into a large pot immediateley and is growing outward and
upward . It has a designated spot which is currently covered in scaffolding.

All the stuff I ordered online in those dark winter months is starting to
arrive and nowhere to put it. A few more pots perhumps.

Always a good solution. ;-) We were talking to someone yesterday who said
that he knew a woman who has a Brugmansia in a huge pot which is on
castors
so that it gets wheeled out for the summer and back in for the winter. I
imagine the best way to do that would be with one of those wooden or
'faux
lead' planters that it would be easy to screw castors into.

Yes the castor things certainly work on flat hard surfaces but
unfortunateley I have soil paths, gravel and lots of slopes:-(
One of my very physically fit neighbours was always very helpful but
unfortunateley he has moved and the 75year old new owner has chronic back
problems.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/4/07 01:46, in article , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 6/4/07 11:18, in article , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
who's planting what this w/e?

snip
I've got lots to plant but unfortunately the space is currently occupied
by
builders and rubble. I had a go at cramming in a few plants yesterday
only
to find that I had dug up and damaged a nice patch of cardiocrinums and a
prized arisaema :-)

I bet we've all done that at some time. Did you manage to find a hole for
that Weigela I sent you - hope so because it gets to quite a size!

Oh yes that went into a large pot immediateley and is growing outward and
upward . It has a designated spot which is currently covered in scaffolding.

I'm sure it will be happy in a pot for a while but one of ours is about ten
feet across I should - I really will have to go and measure it. But that's
be in situ for some time.

All the stuff I ordered online in those dark winter months is starting to
arrive and nowhere to put it. A few more pots perhumps.

Always a good solution. ;-) We were talking to someone yesterday who said
that he knew a woman who has a Brugmansia in a huge pot which is on
castors
so that it gets wheeled out for the summer and back in for the winter. I
imagine the best way to do that would be with one of those wooden or
'faux
lead' planters that it would be easy to screw castors into.

Yes the castor things certainly work on flat hard surfaces but
unfortunateley I have soil paths, gravel and lots of slopes:-(
One of my very physically fit neighbours was always very helpful but
unfortunateley he has moved and the 75year old new owner has chronic back
problems.

You'll have to find some strapping youngster in need of a few extra drinking
vouchers!

Old 08-04-2007, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

snip
We were talking to someone yesterday who said
that he knew a woman who has a Brugmansia in a huge pot which is on
castors
so that it gets wheeled out for the summer and back in for the winter.
imagine the best way to do that would be with one of those wooden or
'faux
lead' planters that it would be easy to screw castors into.

Yes the castor things certainly work on flat hard surfaces but
unfortunateley I have soil paths, gravel and lots of slopes:-(
One of my very physically fit neighbours was always very helpful but
unfortunateley he has moved and the 75year old new owner has chronic back
problems.

You'll have to find some strapping youngster in need of a few extra
drinking
vouchers!

Alas those days are almost gone. Child abuse (sexual and other), Health and
Safety, Tax and NI, the list is endless.
Anyroad the resultant ****ed teenagers would probably cause untold damage
elsewhere.
Must dash -I just spotted a small child who might just fit up the chimney:-)

Old 08-04-2007, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

snip

You'll have to find some strapping youngster in need of a few extra
drinking
vouchers!

Alas those days are almost gone. Child abuse (sexual and other), Health and
Safety, Tax and NI, the list is endless.

Child labour market is alive and well round here. Biggest problem is
that 'strapping' doesn't happen till about 14, and by then they are
wanting to match the minimum wage without having experienced at the
local supermarket just how boring work at the minimum wage is, and how
hard you have to work for it. A job that you could in your younger days
(not speaking to you personally here Rupert) have done in half an hour
now costs £5 and an hour of supervision.

--
Kay
Old 08-04-2007, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 8, 11:02 am, K wrote:
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

"Sacha" wrote in message
t.co.uk...

snip

You'll have to find some strapping youngster in need of a few extra
drinking
vouchers!

Alas those days are almost gone. Child abuse (sexual and other), Health and
Safety, Tax and NI, the list is endless.

Child labour market is alive and well round here. Biggest problem is
that 'strapping' doesn't happen till about 14, and by then they are
wanting to match the minimum wage without having experienced at the
local supermarket just how boring work at the minimum wage is, and how
hard you have to work for it. A job that you could in your younger days
(not speaking to you personally here Rupert) have done in half an hour
now costs £5 and an hour of supervision.

--
Kay

When we have needed muscle power, we have asked students at the
University if they wanted to earn a few £s, supper and beer. We were
inundated and after a hard day's work, we then had an impromptu
concert in the garden as they had brought guitars, it was a great day
and more enjoyable than just hiring labour.

Judith

Old 08-04-2007, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

" writes
When we have needed muscle power, we have asked students at the
University if they wanted to earn a few £s, supper and beer. We were
inundated and after a hard day's work, we then had an impromptu concert
in the garden as they had brought guitars, it was a great day and more
enjoyable than just hiring labour.

Brilliant idea!
--
Kay