Old 08-04-2007, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default So.....

"K" wrote in message
" writes
When we have needed muscle power, we have asked students at the University
if they wanted to earn a few £s, supper and beer. We were inundated and
after a hard day's work, we then had an impromptu concert in the garden as
they had brought guitars, it was a great day and more enjoyable than just
hiring labour.

Brilliant idea!

I was going to say that!

--
Kay

Old 08-04-2007, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"VivienB" wrote in message
On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 10:11:33 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

who's planting what this w/e?

I had hoped to be doing quite a bit in the garden, but I hurt my back
on Wednesday. I tried doing some (relatively) light weeding on Friday
hoping to loosen up the muscles and keep them moving, but seem to have
made it worse. Sitting down for any length of time makes it worse
too... Grrr!

I'm about to make an appointment at the chiropodist!

--
Regards, VivienB

Please respond to group.
Mail to newsgroups address is deleted.

Old 08-04-2007, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 8/4/07 14:39, in article ,
"VivienB" wrote:

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 14:17:50 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

Have you done the lying on the floor with your head on a telephone

director
thing (or something the thickness of a telephone directory!) It does

seem
to help relax things quite a lot. This time of year seems to result in
'gardener's back' for so many people. ;-(

I have not yet tried lying on the floor - I can imagine it would help.
As it happens, it was not gardening that started the problem, but it
does seem to have aggravated it slightly. I have not been prone to
back problems to date, but this may be a warning to thosw who are!

It might be a good idea to see a chiropractor before it gets worse or

'set'.
People tend to put it off and then think the problem has gone away but

quite
often it's just that the body has adjusted itself to a different position
which, over time, exacerbates the problem.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Rotten things sore backs, I am now after 5 weeks able to function without
industrial strength pain killers/anti inflammatory, in my case its sitting
that is the most painful/uncomfortable thing so going to plant sales in the
van has been sore. My back incidentally doesn't hurt at all, its the cramps
down my leg that won't go away, and all I did was lean under the greenhouse
bench for a tray of plants!!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 08-04-2007, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 8, 5:01 pm, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message

. uk...

wrote:

[...]

Lapageria rosea- Hide quoted text -

What do you mean by cramps Charlie? Where exactly are the cramps are
they down one leg, two? Front, side or back of leg?

It sounds, on the surface like a soft tissue injury but that shouldn't
case any cramping.

Judith

Old 09-04-2007, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 8, 5:01 pm, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message

. uk...

On 8/4/07 14:39, in article

,

wrote:

[...]

Down the back of my right leg, now retreated to just the buttock, but were
all the way down into my calf during the first week, I do not as a rule get
cramp and have in the past been (slightly!) unsympathetic to being woken in
the middle of the night by my otherwise lovely wife rampaging around the
bedroom on one leg and swearing but I now get the point, it hurts especially
if it wont go away.
Still I can just about touch my toes again which is a blessing as I kept
seeing weeds then regretting the swift bend to remove same!
The thing I found worked best was to keep changing what I was doing so 5
mins at the key board followed by 10 mins weeding etc. I am fortunate as I
think in time it will mend, and I do not suffer from asthma so was able to
take the pills.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 9, 12:26 pm, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com... On Apr 8, 5:01 pm, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message

.uk...

On 8/4/07 14:39, in article

,

wrote:

[...]

I was going to say sciatica Charlie which is usually buttock to knee.
My other half says that as it is getting better probably a bt of that
and also straining ligaments, muscles etc.

Did you know that A&E in hospitals are so busy at this time of year,
mostly with garden related problems, backs usually, disc problems and
injuries to feet etc with forks, spades!!!

I hope you get completely better soon.

Judith

Old 09-04-2007, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
who's planting what this w/e? Apart from sowing parsley today, of course.
;-) The weather forecast being as it is, we're expecting/hoping for a v.
busy week end but I'm hoping we find enough time to put in a Humulus lupus
aureus to go up part of the front of the house where we've taken down an
unsatisfactory Wisteria. We might team it with one of the darker coloured
and later flowering Clematis because the leaves of the hop show off other
plants to great advantage.

I un-planted on Saturday. The garden is now weed free! Or at least will be
until the next lot appear.

The annual war on dandelions has started, and the continuing war on slugs is
on the horizon.

I did plant some things. Some double hellebores that had survived the
winter in pots as I hadn't quite decided where to put them. They went into
some patches I'd felt were particularly bare over winter. The lavatera got
pruned. The solanum got tied back - although does need a prune too, I'll
wait till the flowering is over. A couple of bare root hostas got put into
pots for later planing - Aphrodite and One Man's Treasure.

We seem to have got through the winter without any plants. The exception to
that is a young clematis that hasn't re-appeared (yet). It was in the same
spot that a honeysuckle died in the year before so I'm beginning to think
it's jinxed. Sweet peas will fill the gap for the summer anyway if it
doesn't make an appearance.

Next weekend (weather permitting) will bring the first grass cut of the
year, and some herb planting. That remind me - the sage went a bit straggly
over winter, I need to check how I should prune it.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

ups.com...
wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

I can well believe it! I thought I was fit, but it seems I need to do some
warm ups and stretches before starting my day, doc recommended Pilatis
(goodness knows the correct spelling) sounds about right. I normally happily
pick up 50kg sacks, as of now am sticking to 20kg or less, so I am getting
fitter as twice as many trips!!

Old 09-04-2007, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 18:25:50 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

oups.com...
wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Cramp like that is what the Americans call a "Charlie horse". Very
appropriate!

Pam in Bristol
Old 12-04-2007, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Anne Jackson writes

The minimum wage doesn't apply until they reach 21, my grand-daughter
informed me. At 20, her wage is £4.30 an hour...

Your grand daughter is misinformed. From DTI website:

"The minimum wage is a legal right which covers almost all workers above
compulsory school leaving age. There are different minimum wage rates
for different groups of workers as follows:

The main rate for workers aged 22 and over increased on 1 October 2006
to £5.35 an hour from £5.05 an hour.

The development rate for 18-21 year olds increased to £4.45 an hour from
£4.25 an hour

The development rate for 16-17 year old increased to £3.30 an hour from
£3.00 an hour "

It would seem that she is being paid below the minimum wage for her age
group.

--
Kay
Old 26-04-2007, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

On 6/4/07 12:08, in article ,
"Gregoire Kretz" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

who's planting what this w/e?

Nothing.
One of the joys of only having a balcony is there is very little to do.
(please don't ask about the disadvantages)

Most things are there already, I may add some volubilis later, or
possibly melons if I'm naughty, but that's more or less it.

Tomatoes?

Done, and then quite a few seeds from last year started germinating on
their own in the same barrel. And in the orchids too, of course.

Cucumbers?

Never going to be fast enough for my consumption of Pimm's...

Sun lounger? ;-)

Now you're talking! )

Greg

--

You may ask yourself, how do I work this?

No ficus = no spam