Old 12-04-2007, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dandelions

BTW, if you don't clear the snow from the footpath in front of your house
within 24 hours of a snowfall, the city will do it and charge you - but
that's a safety issue.
Graham

As I understand it in the UK, if you don't clear the snow from the pavement
in front of your house or shop you are legally OK, but if you do clear the
snow and someone slips and injures themselves where you have cleared the
snow, then you are legally liable for their injury.

Health and safety regulations in the UK have gone completely mad. My elderly
father told me of a frail 90 year old lady struggling to get off a bus to
visit friends at an old people's home and the staff just watch her
struggling. Apparently if they help her and she falls then they are legally
liable! They have been banned from helping - it is a disciplinary offence. A
result of the compensation culture. The world is going mad!

Norman Digger.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The way I do it is every time I spot a Dandelion flower head on the lawn,
pick it off at once and lightly spray the plant (not the grass any more than
you can help it) with Weedol or similar.

I have been doing this for several years, and it does work.... eventually.

You are using the flower head as a 'signal' where to spray.

Needless to say, don't let ANY flowers go to seed.

Good luck,

Keith

"andy" wrote in message
news
I recently moved house and i swear the garden is more dandelion than grass,
any advice on how to get rid of these??

many thx

Old 12-04-2007, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Keith (Dorset)" wrote in message
The way I do it is every time I spot a Dandelion flower head on the lawn,
pick it off at once and lightly spray the plant (not the grass any more
than you can help it) with Weedol or similar.

I have been doing this for several years, and it does work.... eventually.

You are using the flower head as a 'signal' where to spray.

Needless to say, don't let ANY flowers go to seed.

Good luck,

Keith

Which is what I do. They're not much trouble after the Spring surge but
it's worth keeping an eye out for seedlings in the Autumn as these will
cause problems the following year.
Graham

Old 12-04-2007, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 10, 6:43 pm, "andy" wrote:
I recently moved house and i swear the garden is more dandelion than grass,
any advice on how to get rid of these??

With patience - dig them out, root and all, where you don't want them.
In one year I've got rid of all the dandes on my first lotty. I used
my youngest kid to pull all the flowers first, if they all seed,
you'll get hundreds the following year. Eventually you'll have them
all out. Again this year I had a few, I just dig them out or if I
don't have the time I just take off the flowers. There's a need for a
little balance too, insects love them and so if there's a few left I
always think I'm leaving a bit to nature. The thing is not to get a
headache out of it.

Organically yours ;o)

Old 13-04-2007, 07:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Following up to "Norman Digger" :

BTW, if you don't clear the snow from the footpath in front of your house
within 24 hours of a snowfall, the city will do it and charge you - but
that's a safety issue.
Graham

As I understand it in the UK, if you don't clear the snow from the pavement
in front of your house or shop you are legally OK, but if you do clear the
snow and someone slips and injures themselves where you have cleared the
snow, then you are legally liable for their injury.

In Austria and Germany (and I believe Switzerland but I'm not 100% sure),
you are liable if you don't clear the pavement around your property.

--
Tim C.

Old 14-04-2007, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim C." wrote in message

Seriously though, as "R" suggested, a broadleaf weedkiller should do the
trick. Or combined in a weed-and-feed on the "lawn".
--
Tim C.

Yep combined weed and feed is what I use and very successfully too.

I tried a load of different ones and wasn't entirely happy with them.

I was in B & Q one day and noticed their own brand on offer at about half
the price of the big names and was amazed to discover it to be more
effective than the dearer ones.

I've used the B & Q stuff ever since.

Stephen

"Weed Hound" for Dandelions... some thoughts Brian Gardening 8 07-01-2005 02:27 AM
[IBC] Dandelions as bonsai - was Dormancy for KingswoodYardsai Roger Snipes Bonsai 1 01-11-2003 02:13 AM
Killing Dandelions Andy & Lucinda Lawns 3 21-04-2003 10:56 AM
Dandelions Shadow Gardening 31 03-03-2003 09:51 PM
OT Spring Beauties & Dandelions Nedra Ponds 6 04-02-2003 11:04 PM