Old 10-04-2007, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dandelions

I recently moved house and i swear the garden is more dandelion than grass,
any advice on how to get rid of these??

many thx

Old 11-04-2007, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"andy" wrote in message
news
I recently moved house and i swear the garden is more dandelion than grass,
any advice on how to get rid of these??

Broadleaf weedkiller

Old 11-04-2007, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Following up to "andy" :

I recently moved house and i swear the garden is more dandelion than grass,
any advice on how to get rid of these??

Lots of salads?
--
Tim C.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/4/07 13:29, in article ,
"Tim C." wrote:

Following up to "andy" :

I recently moved house and i swear the garden is more dandelion than grass,
any advice on how to get rid of these??

Lots of salads?

Buy a rabbit? ;-)

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 11-04-2007, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Following up to Sacha :

On 11/4/07 13:29, in article ,
"Tim C." wrote:

Following up to "andy" :

I recently moved house and i swear the garden is more dandelion than grass,
any advice on how to get rid of these??

Lots of salads?

Buy a rabbit? ;-)

free fertiliser to boot.
--
Tim C.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 11 Apr, 14:05, Sacha wrote:
On 11/4/07 13:29, in article ,

"Tim C." wrote:
Following up to "andy" :

I recently moved house and i swear the garden is more dandelion than grass,
any advice on how to get rid of these??

Lots of salads?

Buy a rabbit? ;-)

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devonhttp://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

If you decide to blanch then for use in salads, decide you are going
to dry the roots in the autumn as a chickory/coffee substitute and
make dandelion flower wine, then they will just vanish if Sods law has
anything to do with it
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 11-04-2007, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim C." wrote in message
Following up to Sacha :

On 11/4/07 13:29, in article ,
"Tim C." wrote:

Following up to "andy" :

I recently moved house and i swear the garden is more dandelion than
grass,
any advice on how to get rid of these??

Lots of salads?

Buy a rabbit? ;-)

free fertiliser to boot.
--
Tim C.

nah the dog would eat the bunnies ;-)

Old 11-04-2007, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"R" wrote in message

"andy" wrote in message
news
I recently moved house and i swear the garden is more dandelion than
grass, any advice on how to get rid of these??

Broadleaf weedkiller

cheers

Old 11-04-2007, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Following up to "Dave Hill" :

If you decide to blanch then for use in salads,

Use young leaves fresh.
--
Tim C.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Seriously though, as "R" suggested, a broadleaf weedkiller should do the
trick. Or combined in a weed-and-feed on the "lawn".
--
Tim C.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"R" wrote in message

"andy" wrote in message
news
I recently moved house and i swear the garden is more dandelion than
grass, any advice on how to get rid of these??

Broadleaf weedkiller

Called Verdone, absolutely brilliant!

Alan

Old 11-04-2007, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

andy wrote:
I recently moved house and i swear the garden is more dandelion than
grass, any advice on how to get rid of these??

many thx

Buy a Bearded Dragon, they love the flowers! We can't get enough of them.
Plus the young leaves are splendid in salads.

I can't believe you want rid of them. They are one of our favourite
plants...

Les

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

"This is totally not a shark!"

http://www.conservapedia.com/index.p...ur&oldid=16029

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

Old 11-04-2007, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Les Hemmings" wrote in message
andy wrote:
I recently moved house and i swear the garden is more dandelion than
grass, any advice on how to get rid of these??

many thx

Buy a Bearded Dragon, they love the flowers! We can't get enough of them.
Plus the young leaves are splendid in salads.

I can't believe you want rid of them. They are one of our favourite
plants...

Les

Here, in Calgary, they are considered a pest. The grass dies back in winter
so the dandelions have a head start in spring and proliferate. If you have
a lot (and you soon will if you don't use 2-4-D regularly) and allow them to
seed, the city council, following complaints by neighbours, will come and
cut your lawn and charge you handsomely!
Graham

Old 12-04-2007, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"graham" wrote in message

Here, in Calgary, they are considered a pest. The grass dies back in
winter so the dandelions have a head start in spring and proliferate. If
you have a lot (and you soon will if you don't use 2-4-D regularly) and
allow them to seed, the city council, following complaints by neighbours,
will come and cut your lawn and charge you handsomely!

Blimey. The Garden Police.

Tim w

Old 12-04-2007, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim W" wrote in message

"graham" wrote in message

Here, in Calgary, they are considered a pest. The grass dies back in
winter so the dandelions have a head start in spring and proliferate. If
you have a lot (and you soon will if you don't use 2-4-D regularly) and
allow them to seed, the city council, following complaints by neighbours,
will come and cut your lawn and charge you handsomely!

Blimey. The Garden Police.

Yup! But only for dandelions! You should see how they take over a piece of
wasteland here and then you would understand people's feelings about them.
I suppose that with your mild winters, the grass can keep them under
control. Here, grass dies back in winter and by the time it gets going, the
dds have already flowered and gone to seed.
BTW, if you don't clear the snow from the footpath in front of your house
within 24 hours of a snowfall, the city will do it and charge you - but
that's a safety issue.
Graham

"Weed Hound" for Dandelions... some thoughts Brian Gardening 8 07-01-2005 02:27 AM
[IBC] Dandelions as bonsai - was Dormancy for KingswoodYardsai Roger Snipes Bonsai 1 01-11-2003 02:13 AM
Killing Dandelions Andy & Lucinda Lawns 3 21-04-2003 10:56 AM
Dandelions Shadow Gardening 31 03-03-2003 09:51 PM
OT Spring Beauties & Dandelions Nedra Ponds 6 04-02-2003 11:04 PM