Old 13-04-2007, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Harleqin Ladybird.

The Harlequin Ladybird is no ordinary ladybird. It is the most
invasive on earth and it is a "killer" It eats aphids but it also eats
our native ladybirds,butterfly eggs,lacewing larva etc.
It arrived in the UK in 2004 from the USA where it has decimated some
native populations of Ladybird.
A survey has been launched to monitor the spread of the Harlequin.For
details go to:-
http://www.harlequin-survey.org
To help promote the survey I have entered a promise on Pledgebank that
I will do the survey if ten other people will pledge to do so as
well.I need some people to help get the thing running.Its easy and
quick to do.Have a look,go to:-
www.pledgebank.com/killerladybird
REMEMBER WHAT HAPPENED TO OUR NATIVE RED SQUIRREL WHEN THE GREY
SQUIRREL WAS INTRODUCED. PLEASE DON'T LET IT HAPPEN TO OUR LADYBIRDS

Old 13-04-2007, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

This is absolutely fascinating - I don't think I'd ever looked at ladybirds
that much until now...I know I have some of the common-or-garden British
ones in my garden now, which I always carefully put onto my roses in the
hope that they'll get fat and randy and have lots of babies.....

However, assuming we find them, how do we deal with them? Presumably
anything that kills harlequins kills our native ones too? And stamping on
and/or swatting the odd harlequin isn't going to do much good...

Good luck!
Barb

ups.com...

Old 13-04-2007, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message . com, Brin
wrote

REMEMBER WHAT HAPPENED TO OUR NATIVE RED SQUIRREL WHEN THE GREY
SQUIRREL WAS INTRODUCED. PLEASE DON'T LET IT HAPPEN TO OUR LADYBIRDS

If you had voted for the certain political party this would no longer be
a problem.

From the manifesto

Half the grey squirrel population will be painted red in order to
increase the red squirrel population.

http://www.omrlp.com/?page_id=64

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Ladybird 'Mike' United Kingdom 5 25-05-2008 08:37 AM
ladybird??? p.k. United Kingdom 7 03-06-2005 07:47 PM
Ladybird House The Lady Gardener Australia 1 28-08-2004 11:55 AM
Ladybird Rhyme. Brian United Kingdom 15 15-05-2004 09:06 AM
First Ladybird! Martin Sykes United Kingdom 2 27-03-2003 10:56 PM