Old 18-04-2007, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Powered Rotary Mowers

Anthony writes

"adder1969" wrote in message
roups.com...
On Apr 17, 1:54 pm, "Anthony"
Just because a product has Honda stamped on it does not make it the best.
My
father has returned 2 Izy models to the shop
under guarantee for a full refund. I also have a Honda GXV engined mower
in
the garage, with a hole in the crankcase
where the conrod has made a bid for freedom!!! Maybe because it was made
in
the USA????

I think he was saying that with the likes of Honda the chances of
getting spares/support years down the line are higher than with short
production runs from a smaller manufacturer. E.g. try getting spares
for a Rover...

No, can't see he was saying that. Seemed to be implying that because the
firm was
sold to an overseas company the product was somehow inferior, he never
mentioned parts supply.

I don't think implied that. He didn't make any value judgement. The
interpretation was entirely yours.

--
Kay
Old 18-04-2007, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
news
Anthony writes

"adder1969" wrote in message
I think he was saying that with the likes of Honda the chances of
getting spares/support years down the line are higher than with short
production runs from a smaller manufacturer. E.g. try getting spares
for a Rover...

No, can't see he was saying that. Seemed to be implying that because the
firm was
sold to an overseas company the product was somehow inferior, he never
mentioned parts supply.

I don't think implied that. He didn't make any value judgement. The
interpretation was entirely yours.
Kay

'the build quality is totally
different. The deck on the Honda is thicker, quality of the frame, bag,
axle, height adjusters is just not the same. '
He then goes on to mention the ownership of the company, why?
It must in his opinion have a bearing on the quality of the product
otherwise why mention it?

Cheers
Anthony

Old 18-04-2007, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 18, 1:36 pm, "Anthony"
wrote:
"K" wrote in message

news

Anthony writes

"adder1969" wrote in message
[...]

It's a red herring. ..and you wouldn't let it lie... ;-)

Old 18-04-2007, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Anthony writes

"K" wrote in message
news
Anthony writes

I don't think implied that. He didn't make any value judgement. The
interpretation was entirely yours.
Kay

'the build quality is totally
different. The deck on the Honda is thicker, quality of the frame, bag,
axle, height adjusters is just not the same. '
He then goes on to mention the ownership of the company, why?
It must in his opinion have a bearing on the quality of the product
otherwise why mention it?

He said:
"Before, anyone comes along and says, I've had a Mountfield for 25 years
and it's done a sterling job. They were sold about six years ago and

as a
company don't exist anymore, only as a brand/name and all machines are

now
manufactured in Italy/Sweden."

This amplifies his comment that Mountfield, formerly a builder of
mowers in the UK, was now merely a brand. He said nothing to suggest he
considered Italian or Swedish manufacture inferior or superior. It was
you who brought in that interpretation.

--
Kay
Old 19-04-2007, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Alan wrote:
luke58 wrote:
Just for info I bought a Mountfield a few years ago from B&Q.

To many things broke on it. So I took it back within the year for my
money back. Got my moneyback no problems. But I am led to believe that
B&Q are getting too many Mountfield returns, and are now refering you
to the nearest official Mountfield repair centre for a repair only and
no moneyback.

I bought an offical Honda afterwards. A bit more heavier thou. Had
that for 2 years now, and its had a hard life in my business. The only
fault, is the little pins that hold the folding handle together, have
come unwelded.

Buy in the USA and you can buy for half the price ???

With regard to the USA tell me about it - my tent is £290 in the UK and
$360 (£184) in the US.

I am inclined to go and pay the extra and buy a Honda - does anyone have
a view as to the merits of self propelled versus pushed (lawn is
basically flat)

TIA

Alan

For those interested I bit the bullet and ordered a 18' Honda Izy from
here http://www.westskelstonservices.co.uk/acatalog/Izy.html for £326

Just need to sort out petrol and oil now.

Regards

Alan

Old 19-04-2007, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan" wrote in message

For those interested I bit the bullet and ordered a 18' Honda Izy from
here http://www.westskelstonservices.co.uk/acatalog/Izy.html for £326

Just need to sort out petrol and oil now.

Regards

Alan

West Skelston are a good reliable company, with decent back up. Incidently,
they operate from what used to be an old airfield.

As regards petrol & oil, unleaded for the fuel and standard motor oil, such
as 10W/40 or 15W/50 or similar.

Old 20-04-2007, 12:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan" wrote in message
Alan wrote:

For those interested I bit the bullet and ordered a 18' Honda Izy from
here http://www.westskelstonservices.co.uk/acatalog/Izy.html for £326

Just need to sort out petrol and oil now.

Regards

Alan

I use SAE 30 in mine, check the documents that came with the mower
it may be 10W-30 for Honda.

Cheers

Anthony

Old 20-04-2007, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 20, 12:33 am, "Anthony"
wrote:
"Alan" wrote in message

Alan wrote:

For those interested I bit the bullet and ordered a 18' Honda Izy from
herehttp://www.westskelstonservices.co.uk/acatalog/Izy.htmlfor £326

Just need to sort out petrol and oil now.

Regards

Alan

I use SAE 30 in mine, check the documents that came with the mower
it may be 10W-30 for Honda.

Cheers

Anthony

Probably 10W40 or whatever you put in your car, but yes read the
manual and it should tell you.

Old 20-04-2007, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"adder1969" wrote in message
oups.com...
Alan wrote:
For those interested I bit the bullet and ordered a 18' Honda Izy from
herehttp://www.westskelstonservices.co.uk/acatalog/Izy.htmlfor £326
Just need to sort out petrol and oil now.
Regards
Alan

I use SAE 30 in mine, check the documents that came with the mower
it may be 10W-30 for Honda.
Cheers
Anthony

Probably 10W40 or whatever you put in your car, but yes read the
manual and it should tell you.

Have just dug my manual out for the Honda, it states 10W-30,
but as I say the mower in use at the moment uses SAE 30.
Don't know if using the wrong oil would affect your warranty.

Cheers

Anthony

If you know which engine it is you can check at www.honda-engines.com