Old 16-04-2007, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Powered Rotary Mowers

All

Seeking some advice .... there's a surprise!

I am looking at 18' powered rotary mowers. Have heard a lot about Honda
engines being good, but you seem to pay a premium for Honda.

Wonder if I have hit on the perfect compromise - another firms mower
with a Honda Engine!

Looking at this

http://www.lawnmowersandleisure.co.u...F46PDHonda.htm

which is £265 as compared to the Honda equivalent here

http://www.lawnmowersandleisure.co.u.../product55.htm

Which is £339.

The only difference I can see is that the Honda will cut down as short
as 19mm as opposed to 25mm for the Mountfield.

Does anyone have a view as to whether it is worth paying a premium for
Honda or bad things to say about Mountfield?

TIA

Alan
Old 16-04-2007, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Alan,

I have had a Mountfield for years and very happy but have one observation.
I bought mine in B&Q and recently took it in for repair as the bracket that
holds the handle to the main chassis had become mobile and sheared off.

Somewhat surprised to learn from Mountfield that this was a limited edition
rotary petrol for B&Q and that parts are not stocked. No indication of this
when I bought it.

So, I would suggest you consuder future-proofing as best as you can.

--

Baal

I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way

Old 16-04-2007, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan" wrote in message

I am looking at 18' powered rotary mowers. Have heard a lot about Honda
engines being good, but you seem to pay a premium for Honda.

Wonder if I have hit on the perfect compromise - another firms mower
with a Honda Engine!

You're pretty much on the right track with your thoughts. Both machines have
exactly the same engine, ignore the black cowling on the Mountfield and the
red on the Honda, it's the same engine.

However, that's where the similarity stops, the build quality is totally
different. The deck on the Honda is thicker, quality of the frame, bag,
axle, height adjusters is just not the same. My advice one be to go to an
indepedent that sells both and have a look at them, you pays your price and
takes your choice. If you let me know your nearest town, I'd probably know
the name of the company.

Before, anyone comes along and says, I've had a Mountfield for 25 years and
it's done a sterling job. They were sold about six years ago and as a
company don't exist anymore, only as a brand/name and all machines are now
manufactured in Italy/Sweden. http://www.ggp.se/

Old 16-04-2007, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Road_Hog® wrote:

However, that's where the similarity stops, the build quality is totally
different. The deck on the Honda is thicker, quality of the frame, bag,
axle, height adjusters is just not the same. My advice one be to go to an
indepedent that sells both and have a look at them, you pays your price and
takes your choice. If you let me know your nearest town, I'd probably know
the name of the company.

Located in Liverpool

Old 16-04-2007, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Just for info I bought a Mountfield a few years ago from B&Q.

To many things broke on it. So I took it back within the year for my
money back. Got my moneyback no problems. But I am led to believe that
B&Q are getting too many Mountfield returns, and are now refering you
to the nearest official Mountfield repair centre for a repair only and
no moneyback.

I bought an offical Honda afterwards. A bit more heavier thou. Had
that for 2 years now, and its had a hard life in my business. The only
fault, is the little pins that hold the folding handle together, have
come unwelded.

Buy in the USA and you can buy for half the price ???

Old 16-04-2007, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mountfield
GGP UK Limited
Bell Close
Newnham Industrial Estate
Plympton
Plymouth PL7 4JH
UK

--

Baal

I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way

Old 16-04-2007, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

luke58 wrote:
Just for info I bought a Mountfield a few years ago from B&Q.

To many things broke on it. So I took it back within the year for my
money back. Got my moneyback no problems. But I am led to believe that
B&Q are getting too many Mountfield returns, and are now refering you
to the nearest official Mountfield repair centre for a repair only and
no moneyback.

I bought an offical Honda afterwards. A bit more heavier thou. Had
that for 2 years now, and its had a hard life in my business. The only
fault, is the little pins that hold the folding handle together, have
come unwelded.

Buy in the USA and you can buy for half the price ???

With regard to the USA tell me about it - my tent is £290 in the UK and
$360 (£184) in the US.

I am inclined to go and pay the extra and buy a Honda - does anyone have
a view as to the merits of self propelled versus pushed (lawn is
basically flat)

TIA

Alan
Old 17-04-2007, 02:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Road_Hog®" No Spam wrote in message

"Alan" wrote in message

[...]

So the mowers are made abroad.
That makes them bad how?
Aren't Honda foreign????

Anthony

Old 17-04-2007, 06:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anthony" wrote in message
So the mowers are made abroad.
That makes them bad how?
Aren't Honda foreign????

Anthony

You're missing the point. Honda is foreign, but as a company it still
exisits and the products built today bear a resemblance to those of
yesteryear. To give you an analogy, think Rover cars. If you said I bought a
Rover 15 years ago and it has been an excellent car, I'm going to buy
another one based on that. You'd be a little shocked when your newly
produced Chinese Rover arrived. It wouldn't quite be the same would it.

Mountfield exists in name only, much like Rover and where as 25 years ago it
was a premium machine, it is now very much a budget machine.

Old 17-04-2007, 06:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan" wrote in message
Road_Hog® wrote:

However, that's where the similarity stops, the build quality is totally
different. The deck on the Honda is thicker, quality of the frame, bag,
axle, height adjusters is just not the same. My advice one be to go to an
indepedent that sells both and have a look at them, you pays your price
and takes your choice. If you let me know your nearest town, I'd probably
know the name of the company.

Located in Liverpool

For Mountfield - Discount Lawnmower Warehouse 106 Shakespear St Southport

For Honda - Thomas & Hough Burscough Ind Est. Burscough Liverpool

Old 17-04-2007, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 17, 6:05 am, "Road_Hog®" No Spam wrote:
"Anthony" wrote in message

So the mowers are made abroad.
That makes them bad how?
Aren't Honda foreign????

Anthony

You're missing the point. Honda is foreign, but as a company it still
exisits and the products built today bear a resemblance to those of
yesteryear. To give you an analogy, think Rover cars. If you said I bought a
Rover 15 years ago and it has been an excellent car, I'm going to buy
another one based on that. You'd be a little shocked when your newly
produced Chinese Rover arrived. It wouldn't quite be the same would it.

Just in this case it would probably be better :-)

To the B&Q buyers - they can't refuse to take in an item if it's
faulty within the 12 months.

Old 17-04-2007, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anthony" wrote in message
So the mowers are made abroad.
That makes them bad how?
Aren't Honda foreign????

Anthony

You're missing the point. Honda is foreign, but as a company it still
exisits and the products built today bear a resemblance to those of
yesteryear. To give you an analogy, think Rover cars. If you said I bought
a Rover 15 years ago and it has been an excellent car, I'm going to buy
another one based on that. You'd be a little shocked when your newly
produced Chinese Rover arrived. It wouldn't quite be the same would it.

Mountfield exists in name only, much like Rover and where as 25 years ago
it was a premium machine, it is now very much a budget machine.
No prizes for guessing which company you have connections to.

Your analogy doesn't really add up, Is Jaguar no longer a luxury car maker
because it is owned by Ford?
Rolls Royce, Bentley, Lamborghini,Volvo also spring to mind. If you are
saying that moving their manufacturing
bases to another country is the problem, then thats another kettle of fish
entirely.
Do Honda products become bad because they come from Swindon?

Where are Mountfield products made? Are Stiga products budget machines? (not
in my experience!).
You seem to be tarring all GGP products with the same brush.

Just because a product has Honda stamped on it does not make it the best. My
father has returned 2 Izy models to the shop
under guarantee for a full refund. I also have a Honda GXV engined mower in
the garage, with a hole in the crankcase
where the conrod has made a bid for freedom!!! Maybe because it was made in
the USA????

Honda cars and motorbikes have in my experience been the most reliable
methods of transport I have ever owned,
but their mowers have not lived up to the hype.
Your experience may be different.

Cheers
Anthony

Old 17-04-2007, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 17, 1:54 pm, "Anthony"
Just because a product has Honda stamped on it does not make it the best. My
father has returned 2 Izy models to the shop
under guarantee for a full refund. I also have a Honda GXV engined mower in
the garage, with a hole in the crankcase
where the conrod has made a bid for freedom!!! Maybe because it was made in
the USA????

I think he was saying that with the likes of Honda the chances of
getting spares/support years down the line are higher than with short
production runs from a smaller manufacturer. E.g. try getting spares
for a Rover...

Old 17-04-2007, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Anthony
writes

Honda cars and motorbikes have in my experience been the most reliable
methods of transport I have ever owned,
but their mowers have not lived up to the hype.
Your experience may be different.

I have had an Izy for the last 3 years and it has been fine, despite any
semblance of TLC, provided I remember that if I am going to leave it
unused for more than 4 weeks to turn off the petrol and run until it
stops (helps to prevent the carb jets becoming blocked.
--
Robert
Old 18-04-2007, 01:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"adder1969" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 17, 1:54 pm, "Anthony"
Just because a product has Honda stamped on it does not make it the best.
My
father has returned 2 Izy models to the shop
under guarantee for a full refund. I also have a Honda GXV engined mower
in
the garage, with a hole in the crankcase
where the conrod has made a bid for freedom!!! Maybe because it was made
in
the USA????

I think he was saying that with the likes of Honda the chances of
getting spares/support years down the line are higher than with short
production runs from a smaller manufacturer. E.g. try getting spares
for a Rover...

No, can't see he was saying that. Seemed to be implying that because the
firm was
sold to an overseas company the product was somehow inferior, he never
mentioned parts supply.
Thats my take on it anyway.

Cheers
Anthony